Price is no problem, Y/N in terms of parts/

Gaming Rig.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If money is no problem, I suggest the following instead:

1. 160GB SSD (use this PURELY for commonly used programs and for your OS)

2. Change your hard drive to Western Digital Caviar Black (faster rpm) and get more than 2TB (seriously, when you have lots of games and movies etc, 2TB is nothing)

3. Instead of a GTX590, get SLI GTX580 because it enables you to go tri screen (if you need it. If not, single GPU GTX590 is okay)

4. Go for the Antec Lanboy Case. It is SERIOUSLY easy to change parts and open up etc. It's also a very cool (literally and aesthetically) case and it's very easy to carry around. I was so glad that I got the Lanboy when it came to computer repairs etc. Other cases would be a pain.

5. 4x 8GB is excessive for RAM, because your computer only uses what it needs. Any extra RAM is redundant. If you had only 8GB RAM (which is already more than enough) versus somebody with the same specs, but 200GB RAM, the performance would be identical.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
If money is no problem, I suggest the following instead:

1. 160GB SSD (use this PURELY for commonly used programs and for your OS)

2. Change your hard drive to Western Digital Caviar Black (faster rpm) and get more than 2TB (seriously, when you have lots of games and movies etc, 2TB is nothing)

3. Instead of a GTX590, get SLI GTX580 because it enables you to go tri screen (if you need it. If not, single GPU GTX590 is okay)

4. Go for the Antec Lanboy Case. It is SERIOUSLY easy to change parts and open up etc. It's also a very cool (literally and aesthetically) case and it's very easy to carry around. I was so glad that I got the Lanboy when it came to computer repairs etc. Other cases would be a pain.

5. 4x 8GB is excessive for RAM, because your computer only uses what it needs. Any extra RAM is redundant. If you had only 8GB RAM (which is already more than enough) versus somebody with the same specs, but 200GB RAM, the performance would be identical.
Bud, i know computers.

1. He doesnt want a SSD, although hes got cash to splash, my brother still knows what bang for buck is.

2. No justification for a $140 increase in price for the same space. Faster RPM is not needed for what he is doing (gaming). We are rigging a server soon so movies will be kept off the PC's.

3. GTX590 is two GTX580 cores just slightly UCed. Just touch the GTX590s clocks and its pretty much two or more GTX580's.
3.5. GTX590 has 3 DVI links, ergo it is capable of three screens in a panoramic setup.

4. Likes his case, i pointed out the ALC but he said it aint moving so no need to get carry handles.

5. Hes future proofing his rig. Hes got the cash, and he knows he will be rendering in the near future.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Then perhaps it would have been wiser to give us a bit of context regarding said computer.

We can't possibly give a valid Y/N as you asked without knowing what the rig is being used for.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Terrible overkill, get an SSD 256GB atleast with that crazy budget (lol no where near bang for buck), get the WD black, 100% worth it, I have one (only get this if you don't get the SSD, if you get the SSD get an additional WD green/blue for internal storage and then store the rest onto your server). If no SSD get a min. 1TB WD Black.

16GB ram is enough even for rendering (still overkill) make sure it's 1600 not 1333, rendering is more CPU/GPU based (depends).

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
SSDs are too expensive. Get one later when the price drops or he desperately needs it.

skyhawkmatthew

Your Captain
HSC
SSDs are expensive, but 100% worth it. I installed one in my laptop about a year ago; once you use an SSD you won't go back to magnetic media.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm planning to get this in the next few months.
Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5Ghz 1155pin
ASUS MAXIMUSIV-EXTREME-Z Z68 DDR3 Intel 1155pin
G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8G Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 2133MHz
WD 3.5" Black 1TB SATA3 7200rpm HDD
Gigabyte 1536M GTX580 PCI-E
Thermaltake EVO Blue 750Watt APFC Gaming PSU
NZXT Phantom Full Tower ATX Case - White

qwerty44

HSC
I'm planning to get this in the next few months.
Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5Ghz 1155pin
ASUS MAXIMUSIV-EXTREME-Z Z68 DDR3 Intel 1155pin
G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8G Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 2133MHz
WD 3.5" Black 1TB SATA3 7200rpm HDD
Gigabyte 1536M GTX580 PCI-E
Thermaltake EVO Blue 750Watt APFC Gaming PSU
NZXT Phantom Full Tower ATX Case - White
That actually looks pretty good. im no expert in computers but that should last a while. though is 1TB enough for you?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
That actually looks pretty good. im no expert in computers but that should last a while. though is 1TB enough for you?
I think so, since I'll most likely download movies and what-not on my laptop.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
pretty insane specs. 32Gbs? I have 16 and I barely ever go above 40% usage. and yeah SSD needed badly.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Lol nop, hes no longer getting his rig, hes helping to move out.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Bud, i know computers.

1. He doesnt want a SSD, although hes got cash to splash, my brother still knows what bang for buck is.

Having bought an SSD, I can say every penny was worth it. I enjoy my 8 seconds start-up from the push of the button. and programs open up in an instant. It's the best decision you could make, that will significantly increase computer performance. Just make sure you have another internal 3.5" HDD for more storage. iTunes loads instantly, BF3 loads levels within 2-3 seconds. everything is a breeze.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Mate, i wouldnt even invest in a SSD.

We are not worried about load up times, nor are we worried about read/write performance.

He is screwy when it comes to rigs, ive explained the pros/cons of a SSD, and all he wants is to play BF3 on ultra whilst pissfarting around with other programs.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

We are not worried about load up times, nor are we worried about read/write performance.

He is screwy when it comes to rigs, ive explained the pros/cons of a SSD, and all he wants is to play BF3 on ultra whilst pissfarting around with other programs.
Alright suit yourself / himself.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

massive overkill for that still

HSC
Uni Grad
If you dont turn off your comp and leave your browser (or browsers) open, RAM gets om nom'd harder than a lone dick at a horny slut p8rty

As price isnt a problem 32gb seems like a good idea, I also agree SSD would be nice but definitely far from a must have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)