Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation (1 Viewer)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello :) I was hoping someone could help me with this outcome: discuss the importance of Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation in understanding and calculating the motion of satellites.
I don't really know what to talk about other than equating the equations of gravitation force and centripetal force to allow us to calculate the orbital velocity required to put a satellite into a specific orbit. Is there anything else I should be adding??
Any help is much appreciated! :)

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
"Newtons Law of Universal Gravitation is used in all calculations involving gravitational field strength in non-relativistic classical mechanics, including deriving the equation for orbital velocity as well as Kepler's Law of Periods, which are both vital parts in the understanding and calculation of satellite motion."

That's all I've got in my summary, but in an exam you'd probably elaborate on that if it was worth more than one or 2 marks. (e.g. actually deriving those equations)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
"Newtons Law of Universal Gravitation is used in all calculations involving gravitational field strength in non-relativistic classical mechanics, including deriving the equation for orbital velocity as well as Kepler's Law of Periods, which are both vital parts in the understanding and calculation of satellite motion."

That's all I've got in my summary, but in an exam you'd probably elaborate on that if it was worth more than one or 2 marks. (e.g. actually deriving those equations)
Guess there's not too much to the outcome then :) But thanks for your help!!

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
- Definition or equation or Newtons law of Universal Gravitation
- Diagram of 'Newton's Cannon'
- Statement saying that gravitational attraction provides a centripetal force which ensures satellites stay in orbit
- By equating NLUG and Centripetal force, you can arrive at equation for orbital velocity (show derivation)
- Combine orb velocity eqn and d/t to obtain Keplers 3rd Law (show derivation)
- Statement saying that Period/velocity is independent of the mass of the satellite

IIRC, which I usually do :)
That was how I marked a 5 marker and I got the question from a past trial (ARC 2006)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)