• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Next Generation Apple MacBooks (1 Viewer)

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
kg3000 said:
See that quote you wrote, it completely proves my point, macs are fisher price computers because only little children use them, and everything is big and colourful and any admin settings are behind a password and 50 lines of code so you cant break anything.
Holy fuck do you know nothing about permissions schemes? You put admin settings behind a sudo code to make sure malicious code doesn't run. If shit can mess with your system at a basic permissions level you have a SERIOUS functional problem with the operating system because any userlevel code that is run can fuck with everything.

C:\>captain_heros_argument.exe

SYNTAX ERROR, LOGIC NOT FOUND.

C:\>_
Dos... seriously? Wow...

if(!isFaggot(kg3000)suicide();

Ggggggggggggggg

andrewtechhelp

HSC
The thing with the Hackintoshs - yes they are cool, but certainly not stable. You have to get a machine with specific components (like a Mac) or hack it to the point where if you install an Apple update that hasn't been mucked around with - you'll get the dreaded Kernel Panic.

M$ does need to update their Kernel, and even if they do get other people to write drivers they still do a good job of getting everything to run on millions of configurations.

Also what about this latest "Apple Finally Admits Macbook Problem (Following Quote from APCmag.com)

It took them 16 months to admit it, but Apple has finally announced free hardware fixes for all MacBook Pro users that suffer the graphics glitches.
Remember when we told you about graphics glitches that plagued the recent line of MacBook Pros -- you know, the ones that cause scrambled display on many MacBook Pros?
Well, despite Apple's denials, including one to a reader by Steve Jobs himself, Apple has finally fessed up -- almost 16 months since the first 15 and 17" MacBook Pros started shipping with NVIDIA graphics cards.
At least when M$ make problems they admit they are wrong fairly quickly and fix it. e.g When Windows XP was getting hammered by Viruses in SP1 - Microsoft realised they had a problem and instead of saying "well you should just get better antivirus and firewall etc" they dropped tools on the development on Longhorn and created SP2 - the main reason why Vista came out so late and with so little WOW.

So yea Apple might be all very good and all, they're not as good AS THEY CLAIM to be.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
andrewtechhelp said:
So yea Apple might be all very good and all, they're not as good AS THEY CLAIM to be.
Yeah, they're not, and Apple has a massive issue with accepting guilt in situations. Keep in mind, however, that NVIDIA has some culpability in these situations.

I'm not going to be an apologist for Apple, far from it; what I am going to say is it provides me with an incredibly flexible and modular experience that allows me to manage and deal with all of my information inflows and stay on top of all of my work far better than a PC ever could.

When it comes to a flawless system that works with you and not against you, the Mac is second to none. Keep in mind, I loathe fanboys as much as the next character; when I went to pick up the new laptop today the Apple Store kids were fawning over them and it was making me sick.

Yeah, the problem with Hackintoshes is driver availability and updating the drivers and systemwide hooks to work properly with new updates. You can build an incredibly stable OS X system for next to nothing, nowadays, so my next desktop mac will be a hackintosh.

As far as laptops go, I still think Apple is substantially ahead of the curve in form factor, design and usability. I'd like to see 3G integrated, that's probably about it. Fingerprint readers, auto boot OS's, extra remotes and that jazz all seem gimmicky: Actually, as gimmicky as this multi touch glass trackpad the macbook has.

I don't care that if I swipe four fingers on it I can do cool stuff, I have keyboard commands for these things, it's ridiculously inefficient to do it this way. They're not the second coming of the messiah, but the charges leveled against them are ridiculous and reek of ignorance and general stupidity.

dolbinau

HSC
The thing with the Hackintoshs - yes they are cool, but certainly not stable. You have to get a machine with specific components (like a Mac) or hack it to the point where if you install an Apple update that hasn't been mucked around with - you'll get the dreaded Kernel Panic.
I used a Hackintosh SSE2, GMA 900 (all non apple parts, although the GMA 900 was close) and everything worked fine out of the box. Core Image and Quartz Extreme; some kexts for Intel WiFi and it was perfect.

But I agree it isn't for all configurations, but if you have supported hardware (and for Tiger at least there is A LOT) it works fine.

---

My opinion on the Apple updates, generally negative.

Glossy option only on the MBP kills a lot of Pro user, the 24" Cinema display appears to only support the new MacBooks at the moment, WTF?

Thanks to the weak dollar the entry level MacBook is much more expensive than it was yesterday.

No FireWire in the standard MacBook! Guh!

That said, I love the design/graphics updates. Unfortunately I thought I'd be going to uni with an Alu MacBook and the Nvidia 9400M for $1200 but it seems this is not the case. I'm still using a 1.0 Ghz G4!

--

And regarding Apple's place in the market, they are a premium brand that sell premium products, hardly 'fisher price' see:

http://www.apple.com/macbook/the-new-macbook/watch.html

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
dolbinau said:
I used a Hackintosh SSE2, GMA 900 (all non apple parts, although the GMA 900 was close) and everything worked fine out of the box. Core Image and Quartz Extreme; some kexts for Intel WiFi and it was perfect.

But I agree it isn't for all configurations, but if you have supported hardware (and for Tiger at least there is A LOT) it works fine.
Yeah SSE2 kind of ... I think is where the line is drawn. I had one running really well on a MSI k9a2cf with a Phenom 9500 and an ATI Radeon 4570.

---
My opinion on the Apple updates, generally negative.

Glossy option only on the MBP kills a lot of Pro user, the 24" Cinema display appears to only support the new MacBooks at the moment, WTF?

Thanks to the weak dollar the entry level MacBook is much more expensive than it was yesterday.

No FireWire in the standard MacBook! Guh!

That said, I love the design/graphics updates. Unfortunately I thought I'd be going to uni with an Alu MacBook and the Nvidia 9400M for $1200 but it seems this is not the case. I'm still using a 1.0 Ghz G4!
Glossy is actually great when you get used to it, but it does make the machine unusable outdoors. Price really isn't that big of a deal when you're out of school.

Not having firewire is a serious deal killer and if I didn't need the machine asap I would have probably not bought it. Particularly because there's NOTHING I can do about firewire peripherals. I can't get an add in card or anything. I'm essentially fucked.

I've always laughed because Fisher Price was the term used to describe windowsXP's default skin. Has someone gotten their wires crossed?

dolbinau

HSC
On the "new" MacBooks you can set like the right bottom of the touch pad to right click like a standard PC Laptop.

Glossy is actually great when you get used to it, but it does make the machine unusable outdoors
The problem is in the colour calibration for graphic design, 'apparently' it doesn't work well with glossy displays.

But yeah, I personally don't mind paying this much money for a device I use ridiculously often, but I physically don't have the money. Jobs after the HSC perhaps :p.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
dolbinau said:
The problem is in the colour calibration for graphic design, 'apparently' it doesn't work well with glossy displays.

But yeah, I personally don't mind paying this much money for a device I use ridiculously often, but I physically don't have the money. Jobs after the HSC perhaps :p.
It doesn't work for almost anything but CRT's. People claiming to get it working on high end LCD's are selling snake oil.

HSC
Sandchairs said:
Has anyone else noticed IT DOESNT HAVE A MOUSE like they were stingy enough with just the one button mouse.
i like the one mouse button thing, i always accidently click the wrong one on this laptop

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
want2bdifferent said:
i like the one mouse button thing, i always accidently click the wrong one on this laptop
This really isn't um... helping the case for it, dear.

HSC
this is my brother's computer acer..using it so i can sit at my desk and study.. I like the two finger clicky thing on the mac's i always use it at school

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Expensive pieces of shit. Happy with my PC laptop for the time being (wireless card is on order so I can hackintosh it) and has essentially the same specs as the $2600 machine minus one generation (i.e. T8300 instead of P8300, 8400M instead of 9400M) but at less than half the price, and will probably purchase a macbook in a year or so when the Nehalem models come out (i.e. something which is a major improvement over the current generation, built to fully utilise Grand Central, isn't a rev A Apple product and which isn't crippled price wise by poor exchange rates) or when this thing breaks (as I've voided the warranty a couple of times over).

EDIT: Further, the currency conversion excuse is bullshit and generally bad business. Other notebook manufacturers don't seem to take a lot of account of where the AUD sits, and if Apple wants to be competitive with anyone but fanboys with rich parents and 'convenient' bricking of the past model (tsup Nolan) they need to pin their prices to other notebooks (be it 1.2x the price of an equivalent Dell, or whatever).

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
kg3000 said:
Yes, if you install bootcamp and put windows or linux on them, then i will agree with you :p

oh wait... i can just build my own pc and get the same thing done... for much less...

the only reason macs have a decent reliability record is because the OS is only designed to work on a handful of configurations, If you ask me M$ have an incredibly difficult task to perform, so shut up your whinging and appreciate the difficult task they have to ensure the OS is stable on an infinite amount of system configurations.

Linux is open source and do even better than MS... OSX isn't even based on apple code, its Unix based.

And what the hell is up with Apple giving its customers a "sexy, sleek mouse" , that is painfully unergonomic, and has one fricken button... do they have mouse wheels now?... Its so cheap of them to charge a decent amount for their computers and then giving you a subpar mouse.

WINDOWS/PC FOR THE WIN :D
Saying that because an OS is Unix that it's not written by the developers is just plain wrong. Unix is a set of standards that the OS has to conform to, and the developers write within that framework.

HSC
withoutaface said:
Saying that because an OS is Unix that it's not written by the developers is just plain wrong. Unix is a set of standards that the OS has to conform to, and the developers write within that framework.
yeah it is unix based apple still makes it just using a unix kernel... which i think they developed anyway

dolbinau

HSC
Darwin was developed by Apple.

(The kernel)

Expensive pieces of shit. Happy with my PC laptop for the time being (wireless card is on order so I can hackintosh it) and has essentially the same specs as the $2600 machine minus one generation (i.e. T8300 instead of P8300, 8400M instead of 9400M) but at less than half the price, and will probably purchase a macbook in a year or so when the Nehalem models come out (i.e. something which is a major improvement over the current generation, built to fully utilise Grand Central, isn't a rev A Apple product and which isn't crippled price wise by poor exchange rates) or when this thing breaks (as I've voided the warranty a couple of times over).

EDIT: Further, the currency conversion excuse is bullshit and generally bad business. Other notebook manufacturers don't seem to take a lot of account of where the AUD sits, and if Apple wants to be competitive with anyone but fanboys with rich parents and 'convenient' bricking of the past model (tsup Nolan) they need to pin their prices to other notebooks (be it 1.2x the price of an equivalent Dell, or whatever).
Specs aren't the only thing that defines price (well obviously), if you compare Apple's prices to other premium PCs (Sony's notebooks for example) they are all around the same - Which I think were updated recently and reflect the currency conversion rate.

I mean, I'd of course love Apple to ignore our weak dollar and sell their products wayyy cheaper but I can see why they aren't trying to do that.

HSC
dolbinau said:
Darwin was developed by Apple.

(The kernel)

Specs aren't the only thing that defines price (well obviously), if you compare Apple's prices to other premium PCs (Sony's notebooks for example) they are all around the same - Which I think were updated recently and reflect the currency conversion rate.

I mean, I'd of course love Apple to ignore our weak dollar and sell their products wayyy cheaper but I can see why they aren't trying to do that.
yeah quality matter's two but if money is an issue and you want a good computer you would go for the PC

however some good brands like dell are much cheaper

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:

Hey eat shit I paid for this cocksucker and I can't do a time machine restore onto a hackintosh. Also I like the hardware/design. 2.1K isn't much for a laptop that I use like 6 hours a day.

Why skimp to get a total piece of shit, or just invest the money in and get an awesome piece of hardware.

Worried shitless about the NVIDIA graphics card and chipset, though.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
dolbinau said:

Saw a Thinkpad which outspecced the top end MacBook (same processor, significantly better graphics, 15" screen with higher res, etc) the other week for $1800. These are 10x more durable/reliable than any other notebook on the market (save Panasonic Toughbooks), so one can't hide behind the "Pay the premium, get a premium product" line. The only reason to buy a Mac is because you want to run OS X, and the only reason to buy a Vaio is because you've got a fucking brain haemorrage.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Captain Hero said:
Hey eat shit I paid for this cocksucker and I can't do a time machine restore onto a hackintosh. Also I like the hardware/design. 2.1K isn't much for a laptop that I use like 6 hours a day.

Why skimp to get a total piece of shit, or just invest the money in and get an awesome piece of hardware.

Worried shitless about the NVIDIA graphics card and chipset, though.
I still maintain you broke your other one to justify this purchase.

HSC
withoutaface said:
I still maintain you broke your other one to justify this purchase.
lol... if he needed to justify it he could of said he was updating it or he is selling it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)