• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Next Generation Apple MacBooks (1 Viewer)

5233andy

HSC
http://www.apple.com/au/mac/

The next generation MacBooks have arrived. Though, prior to its release, the rumours that the new MacBooks will be relatively cheaper than its predecessor; it simply isn't the case. Despite this, the new specifications are truly impressive, perhaps something that will shame all other notebooks.

Your opinions about the new product?

Sandchairs

Shoopin Da Woop
HSC
Has anyone else noticed IT DOESNT HAVE A MOUSE like they were stingy enough with just the one button mouse.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Yeah it's a bit weird to get used to at first, the whole trackpad clicks now. The gestures shit is a massive gimmick.

Sandchairs

Shoopin Da Woop
HSC
Was it worth the buy? Doesnt matter to me though since i wouldnt go mac unless i was forced too.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Sandchairs said:
Was it worth the buy? Doesnt matter to me though since i wouldnt go mac unless i was forced too.
Don't really care, accidentally destroyed my other laptop today and need it for Uni and need a mac because I'm a mac dev. Stars lined up and bought the new one. Just fortuitous I guess.

kg3000

HSC
Macs are Fisher Price Computers, or "The Metrosexual PC"

i love this line from the latest microsoft ad campaign:
"I'm a PC, and i have become a stereotype"

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
kg3000 said:

You're a retard. I really hate this fucking association. Macs are for either hardcore computer scientists or people that want to get work done really fast and efficiently.

Anyone that says otherwise is an idiot.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Sandchairs said:
Lol in that case was probably good for you.

Have fun with no mouse
It has a mouse it's just the whole thing is a mouse. Kind of like the new touchscreen blackberry is all a mouse as well.

The whole trackpad clicks, instead of just clicking a button.

5233andy

HSC
Captain Hero said:
It has a mouse it's just the whole thing is a mouse. Kind of like the new touchscreen blackberry is all a mouse as well.

The whole trackpad clicks, instead of just clicking a button.
I'm actually quite impressed with the new trackpad. Where did you get your MacBook?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I'd buy a Mac but basically every program made for chemE does not exist on Mac.

5233andy

HSC
Sandchairs said:
Has anyone else noticed IT DOESNT HAVE A MOUSE like they were stingy enough with just the one button mouse.
Yet again, another individual trapped in the mindset that a 'one-buttoned' mouse is worthy of being laughed at. You can right click on Macs, believe it or not. With the Mighty Mouse, you're able to set a secondary button through System Preferences. With notebooks, I think you'd have to press the option button whilst click at the same time. Frankly, I don't really use the right button function, so it's almost useless to me.

Pace_T

HSC
they are also stingy with the hard drive space for that sort of price. but i wouldnt buy one anyway, im not a girl.

kg3000

HSC
Captain Hero said:
Macs are for either hardcore computer scientists or people that want to get work done really fast and efficiently.

Anyone that says otherwise is an idiot.
Yes, if you install bootcamp and put windows or linux on them, then i will agree with you :p

oh wait... i can just build my own pc and get the same thing done... for much less...

the only reason macs have a decent reliability record is because the OS is only designed to work on a handful of configurations, If you ask me M$ have an incredibly difficult task to perform, so shut up your whinging and appreciate the difficult task they have to ensure the OS is stable on an infinite amount of system configurations.

Linux is open source and do even better than MS... OSX isn't even based on apple code, its Unix based.

And what the hell is up with Apple giving its customers a "sexy, sleek mouse" , that is painfully unergonomic, and has one fricken button... do they have mouse wheels now?... Its so cheap of them to charge a decent amount for their computers and then giving you a subpar mouse.

WINDOWS/PC FOR THE WIN :D

bawd

HSC
kg3000 said:

That ad was made with a MacBook Pro, BTW.

kg3000

HSC
If you knew ANYTHING about computers, you surely wouldn't be defending your mac so vigorously when people mention their serious flaws, and why do you mac users get all personal when you get owned?

Captain "Hero" said:
Originally Posted by kg3000
I am dumb and know nothing about computers and thus should probably shut up
See that quote you wrote, it completely proves my point, macs are fisher price computers because only little children use them, and everything is big and colourful and any admin settings are behind a password and 50 lines of code so you cant break anything.

oh and to the post above... the adverts, like any advert, were made by an ad agency. What difference does it make with what OS was used to make the adverts? Adobe Premiere is a cross platform application. They surely didnt farking use that "Fisher Price™ iMovie Fun Center" to make them.

C:\>captain_heros_argument.exe

SYNTAX ERROR, LOGIC NOT FOUND.

C:\>_

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
kg3000 said:
Yes, if you install bootcamp and put windows or linux on them, then i will agree with you :p

oh wait... i can just build my own pc and get the same thing done... for much less...
Cool man, but why would you want to use an OS other than OS X? Development tools are second to none, application interactions are second to none (Yeah microsoft indigo was supposed to be the next generation of the second coming of jesus but it's a piece of crap).

the only reason macs have a decent reliability record is because the OS is only designed to work on a handful of configurations,
Yeah so explain how people have gotten it working on hackintoshes of all shapes and sizes, with greater stability than windows? Oh that's right because it's a POSIX compliant system that's based off darwin and UNIX, pretty much one of the most stable and secure OS's in the world. I know which kernel I'd take anyday.

If you ask me M$ have an incredibly difficult task to perform, so shut up your whinging and appreciate the difficult task they have to ensure the OS is stable on an infinite amount of system configurations.
... wow you know absolutely fuck all about computers then. Microsoft validates vendor drivers. Microsoft doesn't write all that many drivers, man. If you understood how hardware worked then you wouldn't make such a retarded mistake. The reason microsoft shit is so unstable is because it's a hack on a hack on a hack on a hack on a hack designed to support legacy API's and old old old bad bad bad code because it's rolled out in enterprise environments and people don't want to update their software. They don't have the balls to force everyone to the table. Also just... wow Microsoft doesn't know how to manage security but that's okay let's just give everything fucking ring 0 permissions and see how that works out for them.

Linux is open source and do even better than MS... OSX isn't even based on apple code, its Unix based.
You're right with about 10% of that statement. The UNIX darwin core is the kernel of OS X, which is to say, the hardware interaction layer and a great deal of the CLI aspects (Such as the terminal, loaded bins, etc). Apple designed the API's above that from the ground up and has contributed an incredible amount to the darwin project. They pay their engineers to work on open source projects, for the benefit of the whole community.

http://macosforge.com if you want to know more, but you probably don't because you're an ignorant fool.

[/quote]
And what the hell is up with Apple giving its customers a "sexy, sleek mouse" , that is painfully unergonomic, and has one fricken button... do they have mouse wheels now?... Its so cheap of them to charge a decent amount for their computers and then giving you a subpar mouse.[/quote]

The mighty mouse is a total piece of shit you are 100% right there.

WINDOWS/PC FOR THE WIN :D
Personal computers for the win, windows for the losers. Linux/OSX kick the shit out of windows from sunrise to sunset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)