• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Non-Selective Government Schools (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
im never a teachers pet at school... im a rebel. teachers hate me... i talk too much in class. i always get told to stand outside for no reason. :mad:
Only two teachers have told me to go outside, I can basically get away with murder.

Lets see one was a teacher who could not control a class, he sent me out a fair few times, this was the class where we annoyed a kid with a broken collar bone (he deserved every last bit).

And then another teacher sent me out once, after I stabbed the same kid with a compass (didnt draw blood that time, and the times I did I didnt get sent out) (he got sent out as well :p)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma

And then another teacher sent me out once, after I stabbed the same kid with a compass (didnt draw blood that time, and the times I did I didnt get sent out) (he got sent out as well :p)
:eek: u stabbed someone with a compass?!?! wow. i can think of a few ppl in my class i would like to do that to!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Not very hard, and at an angle, pens are alot better because you can do it hard

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
im never a teachers pet at school... im a rebel. teachers hate me... i talk too much in class. i always get told to stand outside for no reason. :mad:
LoL, that has happened to me a few times.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i yap like crazy in class but my teachers just tolerate it coz they know im a good student (hehe i guess all that goody goody stuff in my junior years are now paying off!!)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
all female math teachers think i am an idiot. one of them tried to fail me at year10 by threatening me with an N award for SC. and for year11 another one did the same. :mad:

back in year 9 and 10 my every second geography class was spend on outside of the it.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
thats a good idea in theory and should solve many problems but remember that not everyone can afford to buy expensive textbooks for every subject. what do u expect them to do then? i personally buy most of my textbooks and english texts but what happens if u cant afford them?

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
and coz u cant just use one text book that would suck 4 hisrory we have 4 textbooks per grade ( as in 4 sets of different kinds) and work out of the best one for each topic. u couldnt possibly buy 4 textbooks per subject per year

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
very true. i do history too and we are using like 5 all at the one time coz there isnt a text book that can cover everything in detail and also include the correct concepts. there is hardly a subject where one textbook will suffice i think (not even maths)

Lainee

HSC
Anyway, in Victoria their is this stupid Labor Party policy of pumping money in to the underpeforming schools at the cost of high performing schools. Why bother to give all these resources to people who are going to drop out at the end of year 10 and are going to be flipping burgers because they are to lazy to learn.

Look at it this way, if there are schemes out there encouraging Aboriginal students in education why shouldn't there be policies to pump money into schools where there is a tradition of underperformance? The theory is the same - statistically these are the people who constitute a high percentage of the prison population; young Aboriginal people and those who didn't complete high school; so the Government implements these schemes to keep them in school and give them a better chance of not becoming one of those statistics in their adult lives.

And there's probably a platoon of people who disagree with what I just raised (like you said - 'at the expense of high performing schools'), but then again if extra funding for under-performing schools is all that's needed to somewhat reduce the cost to society in later years - it's at least worth a try to throw a bit of money at such schools and see what happens. :)

Lainee

HSC
exactly. What should happen is you should all just be forced to buy the books, that way everyone has the same thing and school resources aren't stretched.

I think that in a public school, I kind of expect textbooks to be provided for loan in the 'education package'. Hey, why don't we ask everyone to buy their own personal comp to use at school too and we can cut back on more funding for that? :rolleyes:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah, i dont believe u should give up on people simply coz they are not "high achievers". everyone deserves a chance and the ignorance in simply shoving money into the pockets of those who already have alot going for them whilst ignoring the rest and letting them "flip burgers" is wrong

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i'd like to see somebody photocopying enough to suffice for the entire prelim and HSC history course...

Lainee

HSC
And Sarah, not to mention copyright! :)

Alright then, if we go by your thinking melbourian, we should turn a blind eye to under-performing schools? Okay, there are a few undisputed facts:

1. There's obviously a problem when a school has increasing dropouts year after year, and under-performing students. We just don't agree on where the problem comes from. You say lazy students, I say lack of encouragement. I think there's probably a combination of both, but both need help and encouragement to perform better. The fact remains, that they -need- something that would boost their performance! Yes, we can just ignore them and hope they get their act together by themselves, but is that beneficial to society?

2. School resources are not always the best. But it's better than nothing at all. And definately better than having to buy all your textbooks. I go to a selective high school, and yes we buy textbooks 'selectively' but I'm sure if you have more resources to work from, and you do choose to work from them, your chances of doing well will be increased. And I note your sarcasm, but missing pages can be photocopied from other textbooks. It's still much better than having to photocopy whole chapters for a class of 30.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
well i wonder how many ppl out there actually use ur method, but its personal choice so im not gonna get into an abusive argument with you.

Edit: this is in reply to melbournian. lainee, u beat me to it!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
a little empathy and understanding goes a long way in every situation in life , not simply in relation to this argument, and i back lainee on everything she said.

instead of stepping all over everyone to get to where we want to go and even worse ignoring them after we have done so, we can all help in stopping this division between "us" and "them". OR we can continue this mentality and carry on with our own affairs and forget the rest. up to the individual at the end of the day really

Last edited:

Lainee

HSC
Hmm, and melbourian, I'm not trying to argue with you. :p I'm just hoping you'll see my point of view and that there are some errors in your thinking.

Of course I know that there are lazy, ignorant people who don't care less whether they turn out to be a burden to society. :) But I think it's in everyone's best interests to give them a boost to the next rung on the ladder - maybe more textbooks, a better study environment and better equipped teachers can purchase them the opportunity to do this. Hey, people like you melbourian, don't need that extra boost, you work hard and you know you want to achieve something. So why be selfish? You can do it, they can't be bothered to, but they need it - so let them have their extra funding. :)

Lainee

HSC
Yes, because the reality is that we don't need educated people in every job in society. We don't need people with PhD's to clean toilets. The reality is, these people who don't want to learn are best suited to the jobs that don't require an education. Why waste valuable resources on them.

And you're absolutely right. :) But better them cleaning toilets then dealing drugs. There's ALOT more to an education than simply better chances at a good job! The education itself is a benefit, toilet cleaners have to vote too you know, and well-informed toilet cleaners who recycle their cans because they understand about environmental conservation, who encourage their kids to stay in school because they know education can give you a better chance in life, ARE BENEFICIAL TO SOCIETY.

You're right, not every job requires an education - but I think that every -person- requires an education, just for themselves and for the community. The worse thing is, the only way our education system can measure a person's academic performance is through exams and internal school assessments - another problem which I won't go into. :)

But do you get where I'm coming from?

I am not saying we need the extra boost. But taking away money from us, so WE GET LESS RESOURCES, to give to these deadshits is just a waste.

Come on, cut these people some slack! (If you can find the statistics to show me how much they're -cutting- back on other school's funding, it might make your case clearer.) The government isn't giving them a SWIMMING POOL or a tennis court! They're giving them textbooks or a new overhead projector - I dunno - it's the same whether it goes to you or to them, except that they -need- it!

The theory is what the welfare system is based on! Tax those who are well off and give them to those who are struggling without it! Take a bit here, to patch a bit there - and it NEEDS patching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)