• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Not sure if I should do both modern and ancient history (1 Viewer)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
depends whether you enjoy politics or archeology more.

cheap

HSC
Alright, I've decided when the lines come out, I'm only going to do one. But which one? I'm leaning towards modern. Blah so indecisive. I was in way over my head to think I could handle the amount of essay writing involved... going to do bludgy hospitality instead!

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Matt1120 said:
Yay I'm one of them.

Umm if you love everything about history then do both. They're both really good courses. I like modern more than ancient coz its not all just dates and ancient historians. Be prepared to never stop studying history because there is alot of content in both the courses.
YAY!

MOARRRR!

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Yea modern is more about war and politics.
Ancient is more about archaeology and theories.

I am doing both subjects in year 11 at the moment and I like modern alot better. Ancient irritates me - it is quite repetitive and alot of speculation about stuff we don't know about, you should hear the wacko theories we have to learn. Modern history teaches you so much about the world, gives you a better education in my opinion, more relevant to today.

People assume Ancient is interesting because - i dunno - because it's ancient if you get that. It might depend on the topic you are doing - so find out before you choose. Our ancient topics suck - I wanted to learn more about ancient societies like aztecs, greek etc etc. But we learn about things like the iceman (no one knows anything about him) and the mary rose (zzzzzzzzzzz) etc etc.

Last edited:

autumn-angel

HSC
where does history take you in life?

why do girls do more history and less of sciences

I'm a girl and I don't understand why, all I know is that I just loathe history and love science and maths

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
autumn-angel said:

I'm a girl and I don't understand why, all I know is that I just loathe history and love science and maths
What a useless comment.

In fact, what a useless human being.

You can't recognise that people have different tastes and preferences?

We don't all have asian parents who indontrinate us into loving science/medicine/maths/engineering and would then hate and ostracise us if we didn't go into one of them.

Was that racist?
Probably.
Meh.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
autumn-angel said:

I want to teach history.

History allows us to understand our social foundations and the tapestry of connections it has to our past and future. History allows us to witness human progess, human flaws, history allows us to understand what fundamentally makes us human; our errors. It gives us a chance to reflect and attempt to avoid them. If for no other reason history is studied so that we can grasp what was and make projections about what will be.

Maths and sciences are equally prestigous, but in their own right. Most science and math is cold and sterile, its got no life in it to me. I could do maths ex2, but I don't like it so I don't. I can understand it, but it has no why and what if to me. Its got no.. oomph.

Each to their own you idiot.

autumn-angel

HSC
moll. said:
What a useless comment.

In fact, what a useless human being.

You can't recognise that people have different tastes and preferences?

We don't all have asian parents who indontrinate us into loving science/medicine/maths/engineering and would then hate and ostracise us if we didn't go into one of them.

Was that racist?
Probably.
Meh.

"we don't all have Asian parents"

all Asians don't do science and maths either, what a useless statement

Last edited:

autumn-angel

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
I want to teach history.

History allows us to understand our social foundations and the tapestry of connections it has to our past and future. History allows us to witness human progess, human flaws, history allows us to understand what fundamentally makes us human; our errors. It gives us a chance to reflect and attempt to avoid them. If for no other reason history is studied so that we can grasp what was and make projections about what will be.

Maths and sciences are equally prestigous, but in their own right. Most science and math is cold and sterile, its got no life in it to me. I could do maths ex2, but I don't like it so I don't. I can understand it, but it has no why and what if to me. Its got no.. oomph.

Each to their own you idiot.
liking science and maths makes me an idiot

just in that way its my preference that i dont like history

I can do history too...
IF I WANT TO

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
autumn-angel said:
liking science and maths makes me an idiot

just in that way its my preference that i dont like history

I can do history too...
IF I WANT TO
I answered in reference to your narrow minded queery of "where does history take you in life".
You inferred that history was useless. I responded. You were an idiot to assume that your personal preference was one shared by the majority or one greater than those who prefer humanities.

I wasn't saying liking sciences made you an idiot, I was saying being so narrow was idiotic.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
autumn-angel said:

Thats nice, i loath science and maths and love history. Neither is better then the other, you're no smarter or better then me for taking science and maths, and im no smarter or better then you for taking history, its diversity that makes the world an interesting place :)

ital101

HSC
-may-cat- said:
Thats nice, i loath science and maths and love history. Neither is better then the other, you're no smarter or better then me for taking science and maths, and im no smarter or better then you for taking history, its diversity that makes the world an interesting place :)
THAN, it's THAN damn it, THAN!

What is this world coming to, friends? :(
and 'its' - IT'S. And I disagree. It's not diversity that makes the world an interesting place. It's nature...what is more beautiful than a peacock, the sound of river rapids or leaves fluttering in the breeze?

'Diversity' is a term we often associate with humans. For example, 'We are a diverse nation.' Humans aren't really diverse. When it comes down to it, the cold hard truth is that we're all the same: bitter, money-loving idiots who tend to think very much of just themselves, their families and their friends. We don't tend to think...or more importantly, CARE about people, animals and things outisde of our being and circle of friends/family. I see us, most often, as a bland homogenous society obsessed with the American Dream (obtaining wealth and assets) and failing to concern ourselves with important issues or live with nature. We are changing the world to suit ourselves, and that's wrong...well, yeah. We should be respecting nature rather than obliterating it and realising that soon we will die and all this bickering over money and this boy/that girl/she said/he said/look what they're wearing!/and so on; it all will have been a waste of time. And we'll be dead, unable to realise this.

Oh that felt good, good to have a good rant and get your rage out. Anyway, my rage isn't directed at the poster I quoted. She need not bother to reply defensively, for it would only make me sigh in the knowledge that life is so damn predictable (sometimes)! :D
- Federico

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
ital101 said:

and 'its' - IT'S. And I disagree. It's not diversity that makes the world an interesting place. It's nature...what is more beautiful than a peacock, the sound of river rapids or leaves fluttering in the breeze?

'Diversity' is a term we often associate with humans. For example, 'We are a diverse nation.' Humans aren't really diverse. When it comes down to it, the cold hard truth is that we're all the same: bitter, money-loving idiots who tend to think very much of just themselves, their families and their friends. We don't tend to think...or more importantly, CARE about people, animals and things outisde of our being and circle of friends/family. I see us, most often, as a bland homogenous society obsessed with the American Dream (obtaining wealth and assets) and failing to concern ourselves with important issues or live with nature. We are changing the world to suit ourselves, and that's wrong...well, yeah. We should be respecting nature rather than obliterating it and realising that soon we will die and all this bickering over money and this boy/that girl/she said/he said/look what they're wearing!/and so on; it all will have been a waste of time. And we'll be dead, unable to realise this.

Oh that felt good, good to have a good rant and get your rage out. Anyway, my rage isn't directed at the poster I quoted. She need not bother to reply defensively, for it would only make me sigh in the knowledge that life is so damn predictable (sometimes)! :D
- Federico

what a tosser.

autumn-angel

HSC
ital101 said:

- Federico
are you feeling lonely?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
ital101 said:

- Federico
Its ok, next year when you're losing your mind you wont care about things like this as much :)

speedofsound

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
I want to teach history.

Beautifully said. I completely agree. I utterly adore History.

I'm doing both Ancient and Modern next year. I originally only took Modern, but I really, really, really did not want to do a certain subject and basically, Ancient was the only other possible subject I could do. :p Nonetheless, I'm really happy I've picked it now. I am planning on doing History Extension in year 12 too. :)

omniscience

HSC
N/A
ital101 said:

- Federico
Give someone a call if you are lonely. Call "kids-help line". They are always there to help you overcome your desire to commit suicide.

HSC
cheap said:
I'm planning to do

English adv.
English ex.1
Society and Culture
Biology
Mind and Morality

Any advice? Too wordy? I hear both histories have a lot of content :S
Blegh, wish my school offered more subjects.
a couple of my friends do both, but they all plan to drop one of them for hsc because they are too content heavy. alhough if you're up to it go for it. dont forget you gotta balance out ur subjects.

EPHS '09

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)