NSW state election.. dilemma (1 Viewer)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
so i'm voting next election and i'm in a bit of a pickle..

I'm an ALP supporter..

well.. more ALP than liberal.

but i'm not a fan of the NSW ALP...
incompetent.. and 'corrupt'.

but i don't want to vote for the liberals either...

how would we go about getting rid of the state government, and just having a federal/local govt?

Cazic

HSC
Let me get this straight. You want to remove the state government for (presumably) the foreseeable future because you don't like the choices you're being offered in a single state election?

What, pray tell, is your grand master plan should you be unhappy with the choices available in some future federal election?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
doesnt make sense to prefer either party anymore without weighing up whatever their platform happens to be at the time. Theyll both throw away their supposedly core ideology the second they think they have to. Frankly I feel comfortable with the careful Menzian image Barry has fashioned for himself and agree that there should be triggers to allow early elections in nsw

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Let me get this straight. You want to remove the state government for (presumably) the foreseeable future because you don't like the choices you're being offered in a single state election?

What, pray tell, is your grand master plan should you be unhappy with the choices available in some future federal election?
well the state government is rather unnecessary.
honestly.

i always get letters from my local state MP, and she always goes 'please contact me in regards to any state issues'

they're a massive waste of resources

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I dont know why we need 3 levels of government anyway... Surely we could throw away state, and make local slightly larger or something like that.

I get where you are coming from, neither party really appeals to me atm, and the alternative choices arent too great either. I suppose i could vote for neither major party to "send a message" but i dont much want a minor party to win.

Lentern

HSC
doesnt make sense to prefer either party anymore without weighing up whatever their platform happens to be at the time. Theyll both throw away their supposedly core ideology the second they think they have to. Frankly I feel comfortable with the careful Menzian image Barry has fashioned for himself and agree that there should be triggers to allow early elections in nsw
How would you know Stanhope!

so i'm voting next election and i'm in a bit of a pickle..

I'm an ALP supporter..

well.. more ALP than liberal.

but i'm not a fan of the NSW ALP...
incompetent.. and 'corrupt'.

but i don't want to vote for the liberals either...

how would we go about getting rid of the state government, and just having a federal/local govt?
Well you start by learning that many of the problems in NSW today are almost entirely a consequence of federal governments. During the war one of the prime ministers, I think Chifley but you'd have to check with Iron, assumed control of most forms of state revenue which effectively signed the death warrant for NSW and a lesser extent Victoria. Since that fateful day successive federal governments have recieved a majority of their revenue from NSW and Victoria income taxes yet compared to what they tax they give a pittance back to those two states and to raise revenue the NSW government has just been flogging assets for about half a century and is still trying to do so: Energy privatization, the lottery etc. Now a days the situation is getting particularly dire and coupled with the fact that the NSW government has been around for nearly fifteen years they are inevitably losing popularity and when you've become so unpopular and have been in government so long discipline just falls to pieces.

My advice is that a short spell of liberal government will force the ALP to regain its discipline and that Bazza O Fazza is not as bad as many other potential premiers particularly if he has a hostile legislative council to deal with so vote for liberals in the lower house and greens in the upper house.

debts

HSC
N/A
labor still remains the lesser evil out of the two for me, despite how pathetic the NSW labor government has been in the past decade.

Lentern

HSC
labor still remains the lesser evil out of the two for me, despite how pathetic the NSW labor government has been in the past decade.
I seem to remember not three years ago the prime minister and the leader of the opposition agreeing that "Australians had never been better off." I suppose they were't including the largest state by capita in that statement.

debts

HSC
N/A
I seem to remember not three years ago the prime minister and the leader of the opposition agreeing that "Australians had never been better off." I suppose they were't including the largest state by capita in that statement.
but surely when two leaders make a hyperbolic statement like that, it's best to dismiss that as garbage needed to quell our inferiority complex prior to an election.

although i'm pretty surprised health and transport hasn't improved exponentially since the olympics.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Haha true. They said nothing about their wicked plans for Calvary during the electionthough, so I will never vote for them again tbh

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC

Well you start by learning that many of the problems in NSW today are almost entirely a consequence of federal governments. During the war one of the prime ministers, I think Chifley but you'd have to check with Iron, assumed control of most forms of state revenue which effectively signed the death warrant for NSW and a lesser extent Victoria. Since that fateful day successive federal governments have recieved a majority of their revenue from NSW and Victoria income taxes yet compared to what they tax they give a pittance back to those two states and to raise revenue the NSW government has just been flogging assets for about half a century and is still trying to do so: Energy privatization, the lottery etc. Now a days the situation is getting particularly dire and coupled with the fact that the NSW government has been around for nearly fifteen years they are inevitably losing popularity and when you've become so unpopular and have been in government so long discipline just falls to pieces.

My advice is that a short spell of liberal government will force the ALP to regain its discipline and that Bazza O Fazza is not as bad as many other potential premiers particularly if he has a hostile legislative council to deal with so vote for liberals in the lower house and greens in the upper house.
yeah i'm vaguely familiar with that aspect..
i think we went over it in economics.
i think it was during a period of war,
to finance millitary expenditure..

then they never returned the powers back after the war.

honestly state government..
education.. health.. police.
these should be federal responsibilities.

i mean isn't the the nation-wide implementation of ATAR, as well as a nation-wide curriculm/syllabus another policy that takes high school education, standardised throughout the states?

health should be more local, and on a more federal basis.

police/ criminal laws should be standardised as well.
isn't this one of the reasons the AFP was introduced?
to investigate/prosecute crime that goes against the 'federal crimes act'
but pretty much penalties and stuff are being standardised anyway

HSC
is it possible to vote in the upper house and not the lower house, or will that vote not be counted

banco55

HSC

What has their poor managerial skills and rampant corruption got to do with the arrangements for revenue? The last thing we'd want is these idiots having more taxpayers money. NSW would be a lot better off if the whole right wing of the parliamentary labor party was put up against a wall.

Lentern

HSC
What has their poor managerial skills and rampant corruption got to do with the arrangements for revenue? The last thing we'd want is these idiots having more taxpayers money. NSW would be a lot better off if the whole right wing of the parliamentary labor party was put up against a wall.
Well aside from the fact that when you are stretched to thin you end up spending less than is advisable on streamlining and efficiency which could save money long term but what it really comes down to is they are nowhere near as frivolous and extravagant as the Howard or Rudd governments (Or the Rann one come to think of it) rather they are just more exposed.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Just don't vote, I didn't in the last election, put my thing down as 'out of electorate' for the day, no questions asked.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Well aside from the fact that when you are stretched to thin you end up spending less than is advisable on streamlining and efficiency which could save money long term but what it really comes down to is they are nowhere near as frivolous and extravagant as the Howard or Rudd governments (Or the Rann one come to think of it) rather they are just more exposed.
I agree. The whole idea that certain governments can provide much better public services with the same resources just by "streamlining" and shit is a bit of a joke.

This lot are pretty bad, but don't expect anything more than a marginal, temporary improvement when the liberals get in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)