NSW to dump UAI! New Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) (1 Viewer)

Borbor

HSC
Articles on the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR)

Official announcement and explanatory materials
Universities Admissions Centre | UAC

"UAI changes to ATAR, HSC remains the same", Board of Studies
http://news.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/index.cfm/2009/6/10/UAI-changes-to-ATAR-HSC-remains-the-same

"There's no such thing as a perfect child when it comes to the HSC", Sydney Morning Herald
http://www.smh.com.au/national/ther...d-when-it-comes-to-the-hsc-20090609-c29z.html

"Uni admission score dumped", The Australian
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25614273-12377,00.html

"States closing ranks over admission scores", The Australian
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,25611376-12332,00.html

"New national entry scores for universities", ABC Radio National
http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2009/s2593915.htm

"If there's no losers, it is hard to find the winners", The Punch
http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/if-theres-no-losers-theres-no-winners/

"ATAR, nothing really changes", UTS (YouTube video)
http://www.2worlds.uts.edu.au/ATAR.aspx

"NSW dumping UAI for students", Sydney Morning Herald
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/nsw-dumping-uai-for-students-20090610-c2fe.html

"HSC 100 top ranking scrapped", Daily Telegraph
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25614381-5006009,00.html

"ACT adopts national student ranking system", ABC News
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/10/2594089.htm

(original post below)

NSW to dump UAI ranking

June 9, 2009 - 3:09PM
The University Admission Index (UAI) for NSW students is being dumped and so are their chances of achieving a top ranking of 100.

Students who sit the HSC in 2009 and plan to enrol in university will have their admissions scores calculated under a new national scheme.

The UAI will be replaced with the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) to determine their entry into university.

The highest rank possible on the ATAR will be 99.95 as opposed to the top UAI ranking of 100.

Changes to the system mean NSW students will come into line with interstate peers.

Kim Paino, information services director of the Universities Admission Centre (UAC), says students should not worry about the changes.
"The scaling process for students will be the same, the rank order of students will be the same, and the same applicants will be selected for the same uni courses," Ms Paino said in a statement.

"Students should not be concerned about the changes - they will have no impact on their current studies or their choice of university courses for 2010."
UAI and ATAR results both represent a student's ranking among other students' results and not a raw score.

A UAI ranking of 100 does not represent a perfect score. In 30 years, no student has ever received a perfect score.

Every state and territory tertiary admissions centre has agreed to adopt the universal ATAR system except Queensland.

The sunshine state's Overall Position system uses a ranking of one to 25 and altering it would require changes to state legislation, which are not expected to happen in 2009.

Since 99.95 will be the top rank, a conversion table between arbitrary UAI levels and new ATAR scores is available at the Universities Admissions Centre | UAC website.

The UAC has written to all year 12 students in NSW about the changes and its website has answers to frequently asked questions about the new system.

NSW to dump UAI ranking

What on earth?!?! What does this mean?!

lychnobity

HSC
Re: NSW to dump UAI!

wtf... what's the point in trying if there's no hope of getting 100? 99.95 ... what a piece of second rate bullcrap

aeiss

HSC

But we always knew it was a ranking!
100 UAI!
That's what put us above the rest of the states!

Now the 100 UAI's of past years will be even more invaluable

At uni (yeah this ain't going to happen but still):

Me: "Hey 2nd year person, what was your UAI?"
Them: "More than you could ever have gotten"

harhar

But honestly, when I saw change to rankings system, I thought it meant a change to how UAI's are calculated. But evidently not, so still the same yaddayadda. And A-TAR is pronouce-able now too .

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC

ummm is this change really neccessary???
but there goes the bragging rights of a 100UAI :rolleyes:

lala2

Banned
HSC

What?! But the UAI of 100 was perfect! (pun intended and not intended). That's stupid. That means everyone should move to the NOrthern Territory or Tassie because if you're getting ranked against everyone else in your state (but reported nationally), it'd be much easier to get a better ranking there.

Am I confused or am I confused?

shivasyd

HSC

Does that mean its easier for us to do better since NSW > Rest of Country...

Deer

Premium Member
HSC

Aww!

Obviously 100 UAI doesn't mean 100%, we all know that..
Its just such a nice round number that we all strive for.. It's surrounded by a golden light :)
But 99.95,
How inferior and de-motivating. Wah nsw. Wah.

Duffman0

Kick ass, chew bubblegum.
HSC

I've searched through google, through the hopeless UAC website, checked Board of Studies comprehensively and there's no mention of any of this. In fact, I can only find 2 websites that have this, both of them news websites, one of them linking directly to the supposed UAI : ATAR conversion table on the UAC website - which isn't there.

Summit to address NSW road toll

UAI to be replaced with national admissions ranking for NSW students - news - LIVENEWS.com.au

Unless more information is released, this smells to be some bad radio joke. If it wasn't for the SMH posting it, I wouldn't be hesitant.

Borbor

HSC

What?! But the UAI of 100 was perfect! (pun intended and not intended). That's stupid. That means everyone should move to the NOrthern Territory or Tassie because if you're getting ranked against everyone else in your state (but reported nationally), it'd be much easier to get a better ranking there.

Am I confused or am I confused?

I don't think that will be necessarily true. If the cohort in NT and Tasmania, at the moment, are weaker then overall the scores SHOULD be lower than the scores in NSW/Victoria.

If anything, this could increase bragging rights because now someone who gets 99.95 could say "I came first in Australia (excl QLD :p)"

Last edited:

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC

I've searched through google, through the hopeless UAC website, checked Board of Studies comprehensively and there's no mention of any of this. In fact, I can only find 2 websites that have this, both of them news websites, one of them linking directly to the supposed UAI : ATAR conversion table on the UAC website - which isn't there.

Summit to address NSW road toll

UAI to be replaced with national admissions ranking for NSW students - news - LIVENEWS.com.au

Unless more information is released, this smells to be some bad radio joke. If it wasn't for the SMH posting it, I wouldn't be hesitant.
yeah i was thinking the same thing, i havnt seen it mentioned anywhere else except news websites....

Duffman0

HSC

So we got trolled, gg
There's no proof of anything yet; there's just an enormous lack of information. I think there would've been more coverage on the news, announcements made beforehand, announcements at the start of the year stating the change. It smells rotten that the game changes halfway through a round, though.

HSC
Uni Grad

There's no proof of anything yet; there's just an enormous lack of information. I think there would've been more coverage on the news, announcements made beforehand, announcements at the start of the year stating the change. It smells rotten that the game changes halfway through a round, though.
Only truth to it is that it is such a minor change and i cannot see anyone caring that the best achievable score is 99.95

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC

wtf, the SMH link redirects to something about 'Summit to address NSW road toll'....

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

Lol I heard about this for the first time today when a UWS lecturer came in to advise us that the UAI is being dumped. I find the change really pointless.

Lucky you dp :).

Duffman0

HSC

It's simple. There's no FAQ, no announcements, no nothing. Not to discredit you, Exhaust, but I find it hard to believe that the information would be released one school at a time rather than a general announcement with tonnes of information on relevant websites.

I'm still not convinced, I think i'll wait this out till tommorow.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC

Lol I heard about this for the first time today when a UWS lecturer came in to advise us that the UAI is being dumped. I find the change really pointless.

Lucky you dp :).
ah yes finally some secondary evidence :)
so that means it really is getting dumped.. someone find the conversion table yet? or is it gonna be the exact same but with 99.95 ATAR = 99.95 & 100 UAIs???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)