O-Week: Worth it? (1 Viewer)

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
How would you have better spent your mid to late teens doing?
if someones motivated enough to work hard and get accelerated tbh its just a waste to do a BA in Anceint history when u can like cure cancer or something. Unless you plan on doing another bachelors degree. thats sick :):)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
A High Way Man said:
if someones motivated enough to work hard and get accelerated tbh its just a waste to do a BA in Anceint history when u can like cure cancer or something. Unless you plan on doing another bachelors degree. thats sick :):)

I see. That's pretty judgmental of you to say that though.

Once you have a bachelors degree, you don't really need to do another one. There are a variety of Grad Dips, Postgrad Dips and Masters degrees you could do if you wanted to go into a completely different academic field from your bachelors degree.

Scorch

HSC
A High Way Man said:
I actually didn't work that hard :rolleyes:

I was IQ tested, and in Year 2 I was doing Year 6 Maths and English, so the next year I simply did Year 6. I'm doing Ancient History because it's what I'm interested in and I want to make a career out of it.

come join the classics and ancient history society if you intend to major in ancient, i'm now the president heh
Will do. Do you need your Student Union card for that?

What area of ancient history in particular?
Probably the more classics-related areas, focusing on Rome/Greece. I'm taking Latin as well.

Last edited:

niteshade1312

HSC
Back to the subject of O- Week. I think it's a great way to meet people and people with your interests. If you are going to be 15, then I would definately suggest going along because not to be rude, but it may be more difficult meeting people at that age. However, meeting people with similar interests will make University life more than just studying (unless of course, you plan to only do that). Not everything is at Manning or Herman's and no, I wouldn't suggest going all three days. Once you've down the lawns, then its the fun events you want to go to. Plus my friends are the O- Week coordinators and its shaping up to be a fantastic 3 days! WOOHOO!!

niteshade1312

HSC
P.S. Yes, one must be part of Access to join societies! Also if you're doing Ancient.. get ready for the best lecturere ever! ALASTAIR!!! OMG.. he's the reason I kept doing it.. and then dropped it once I got another lecturer

Scorch

HSC
niteshade1312 said:
Back to the subject of O- Week. I think it's a great way to meet people and people with your interests. If you are going to be 15, then I would definately suggest going along because not to be rude, but it may be more difficult meeting people at that age. However, meeting people with similar interests will make University life more than just studying (unless of course, you plan to only do that). Not everything is at Manning or Herman's and no, I wouldn't suggest going all three days. Once you've down the lawns, then its the fun events you want to go to. Plus my friends are the O- Week coordinators and its shaping up to be a fantastic 3 days! WOOHOO!!
Oh okay, sweet. I'll see if I can get to one of the BoS get-togethers and then get my student card and find which events I actually want to go to. But no one from my Year 12 class is going to USyd, so I'd like to get to know some people and make some friends. I'll join some societies, meet some people and hopefully make some friends.

Thanks for the advice you guys. Is there any particular event that you'd recommend going to?

DeepDarkRose

HSC
Scorch said:
Do you need your Student Union card for that?
Yeah you need to get an access card to be able to join clubs and societies. It's worth it in my opinion, you'd probably get the money back just in food discounts alone throughout the year :)

Hahaha niteshade is right, Alastair is awesome, you'll have him for first year Ancient Greece most likely. I did latin in my first year too, be prepared for lots of work if you've never done it before. If you have any more questions about ancient history, feel free to msg me, I'm majoring in it, and I've done two years of Latin.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
niteshade1312 said:
P.S. Yes, one must be part of Access to join societies! Also if you're doing Ancient.. get ready for the best lecturere ever! ALASTAIR!!! OMG.. he's the reason I kept doing it.. and then dropped it once I got another lecturer
Alastair is completely awesome. I really wish I could take his course this year, but I'm already full up for that semester. :(:(:(
Scorch said:
Probably the more classics-related areas, focusing on Rome/Greece.
Rome/Greece is all that Usyd offers in the ancient history major.

Why has the union suddenly decided to force us to buy the Access card to join C&S? (And are there any new features on Access that might make it better value than last year?)

DeepDarkRose

HSC
well since last year's $37 per society was too complicated and sounded expensive i guess they decided that $99 for the chance to join as many societies as you want sounds like a better investment....

and about events at oweek - usually the evening ones are quite popular, especially the comedy night
check out the timetable on the net like someone else has already suggested

niteshade1312

HSC
I think we should be supporting the Union and buying the Access Cards... not sure about new benefits but I'm on an exec.. so I need it :p

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
niteshade1312 said:
I think we should be supporting the Union and buying the Access Cards... not sure about new benefits but I'm on an exec.. so I need it :p
I can afford $99 and I don't mind supporting the union, but I'd like to feel less of an idiot when I shell out the money and then save a grand total of about $8 all year. Unfortunately the only things I buy on campus regularly are magazines and bus tickets, but guess what items the access card inexplicably doesn't cover?

Wait, discounts at Hoyts. That is something I can work with. (Unless it applies only to Hoyts Broadway, in which case lame.)

Scorch

HSC
Triangulum said:
Rome/Greece is all that Usyd offers in the ancient history major.
Well I guess that decision is already made, then. :p

Is anyone entering a team in the O-mazing race?

By the way, is there any other way to get my Union Access card apart from waiting in line for ages at O-Week?

DeepDarkRose

HSC
you can go to uni and get it now at the access office in manning, if you haven't gone to enroll yet, go on the same day you do that, there'll probably be no line and no waiting :)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Are you also going to look at the related field of Greek/Roman archaeology?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Triangulum said:
I can afford $99 and I don't mind supporting the union, but I'd like to feel less of an idiot when I shell out the money and then save a grand total of about $8 all year. Unfortunately the only things I buy on campus regularly are magazines and bus tickets, but guess what items the access card inexplicably doesn't cover?

Wait, discounts at Hoyts. That is something I can work with. (Unless it applies only to Hoyts Broadway, in which case lame.)
Join two clubs and pretend they charge you $37 already.

There's $74 in that.

Also a small coffee (flat white) costs $2.95 now but it's the same price it was last yr for access holders $2.30.

DeepDarkRose

HSC
I forgot I also wanted to say, you can meet some people if you join the Arts Network Mentoring program. They put you in groups with other first years and a mentor doing the same subjects as you so you can make friends before you go to oweek. It's not a huge commitment cause the only day you have to attend is Arty Starty, after that it's up to you whether you want to keep in contact with your mentor or not.

It's also a thing you can sign up to during enrollment at MacLauren hall, or if you've already enrolled and didn't do that, you can find it online on the arts faculty website.

Scorch

HSC
RogueAcademic said:
Are you also going to look at the related field of Greek/Roman archaeology?
If I can, I'll see if I can fit some in. I put one archaeology subject in my second year selections.

DeepDarkRose said:
I forgot I also wanted to say, you can meet some people if you join the Arts Network Mentoring program. They put you in groups with other first years and a mentor doing the same subjects as you so you can make friends before you go to oweek. It's not a huge commitment cause the only day you have to attend is Arty Starty, after that it's up to you whether you want to keep in contact with your mentor or not.

It's also a thing you can sign up to during enrollment at MacLauren hall, or if you've already enrolled and didn't do that, you can find it online on the arts faculty website.
Yeah, I did that today when I enrolled. So you go to the Arty Starty day and they put you in groups? Sweet.

you can go to uni and get it now at the access office in manning, if you haven't gone to enroll yet, go on the same day you do that, there'll probably be no line and no waiting :)
Gah! I enrolled today. :p

I'll just go some other day. Where is it? Near the Manning Bar?

DeepDarkRose

HSC
I might see you at Arty Starty Day then, I'll be a mentor, you might even end up in my group since you'll be doing ancient history.

The access office is in manning house on the first level, so the level below manning bar. If you walk in through the main entrance, go right and you'll see it right there.

You can get your access card on arty starty day, I'm sure the access office will be part of the tour around uni we have to take you guys on, it always is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)