Official Asian Cup 2007 Thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
I actually think Harry did well considering the circumstances, if anything - the 'best' on the team. He was the least tired and kept strong.

Benny_ said:
Wouldn't worry too much. I still expect us to reach the knockout stages fairly comfortably.
Have you been watching Thailand play? or Iraq...? After tonights game (Thai VS Oman) I'm actually very worried.
Tomorrow should determine if we have any hope at all. Let's hope Arnold has some wise tactics set up...

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
snobby airlines said:
Have you been watching Thailand play? or Iraq...? After tonights game (Thai VS Oman) I'm actually very worried.
Tomorrow should determine if we have any hope at all. Let's hope Arnold has some wise tactics set up...
With all due respect to Thailand and Iraq.. they're Thailand and Iraq. I'd be surprised if either even had a player in Europe Regardless of how good they may look against each other, Australia is of a completely different calibre, and I'm confident we'll show our class tonight. I know similar upsets have happened on the international stage before (France 2002 for instance) but the odds of an failure of such proportions are surely low enough that we the fans, if not the team, should be confident.

3-0 tonight :)

Edit: My apologies to Iraq.. they do in fact have two players in Europe.. the Cyprus First Division lolz

Pride comes before the fall and all, but seriously people, relax ! :)

Last edited:

umop 3pisdn

Banned
HSC
Benny_ said:
With all due respect to Thailand and Iraq.. they're Thailand and Iraq. I'd be surprised if either even had a player in Europe
But that's the problem, we're not in Europe, we're in Asia. Look at how useless half our Euro-based players were against Oman (and compare to how good Vietnam and others have looked). Arnold needs to start a few A-Leaguers or something :D

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Benny_ said:
With all due respect to Thailand and Iraq.. they're Thailand and Iraq. I'd be surprised if either even had a player in Europe Regardless of how good they may look against each other, Australia is of a completely different calibre, and I'm confident we'll show our class tonight. I know similar upsets have happened on the international stage before (France 2002 for instance) but the odds of an failure of such proportions are surely low enough that we the fans, if not the team, should be confident.

3-0 tonight :)

Edit: My apologies to Iraq.. they do in fact have two players in Europe.. the Cyprus First Division lolz

Pride comes before the fall and all, but seriously people, relax ! :)
Well, I hate to spoil it for you, but the reality is that we were shite. Quite possibly the worst display I've ever seen by the Socceroos, we aren't going to beat anybody if we persist like that. The warning signs were there at Singapore, but nothing was done. Now Oman have almost taught us a lesson. Had they stayed on their feet more often instead of dropping like flies, they could've put the game to bed.

The thing is, we never had any class to begin with. We were complete crap until Hiddink took over. He enforced tactical discipline on the team, something that was non-existent in the first match. Now I must say I didn't watch Thailand vs Iraq, but I have watched Iraq in the past and they are a very good side. Australia would need to improve greatly to win the game.

The thing about this Asian Cup is not to make it past the group stages, but to win the competition. I've always had my doubts about Australia winning since Hiddink left, and I think Japan and Iran will still be the ones to beat in the tournament.

Here's to hoping that we'll see a good match tonight.

umop 3pisdn

Banned
HSC
1 - 0 Iraq :rolleyes:

sack arnold

EDIT: our lineup is

1 Mark Schwarzer (gk)
2 Lucas Neill
3 Patrick Kisnorbo
5 Jason Culina
7 Brett Emerton
8 Luke Wilkshire
9 Mark Viduka (c)
10 Harry Kewell
13 Vince Grella
14 Brett Holman
23 Mark Bresciano

Why the fark are Culina, Wilkshire, Grella and Bresciano all starting when they did nothing last time? Bring on Milligan, Carle, Carney and Thompson ffs, they couldn't do any worse.

And LMF we always had some potential, we just had a crap manager (Farina ffs) & administration. The previous lot of socceroos with Zelic, Okon etc. were just as good if not better than the current lot :D

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Wow.. we truly suck much worse than I thought.

Doesn't really look like they give a shit to be honest, which is very disappointing.

Sack Arnold? The real question is why after all the talk of replacing Hiddink with a top class coach we still haven't after a whole year, right into the Asian Cup. Surely it was always madness.

umop 3pisdn

Banned
HSC
Benny_ said:
Doesn't really look like they give a shit to be honest, which is very disappointing.
That's why I keep saying bring on the A League guys (including Carle), they will give a shit. If we don't come back and win :)rolleyes:) we're pretty much out of the tournament at the group stages.

Why sack Arnold? Because he's not qualified to be a NT coach, he's completely out of his depth and he's going to get us eliminated from the Asian Cup when we've got the quality to be making the semis or better.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I don't disagree about sacking Arnold. At anyrate based on the performance we've put in so far I'm sure efforts will be redoubled to bring someone in. I'd like to see Vincente Del Bosque but I wouldn't mind someone like Gerard Houllier or Paul Le Guen if he becomes available. Mind you Hiddink was a godsend and I don't think we'll be able to find someone close to being as good. Should be able to find someone that'll help us reach our potential in Asia at least though.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Goal! Emerton right flank cross to Viduka who powers in a towering header. Let's hope that'll perk the boys up

Kewell is doing feck all behind Viduka here. Time to go move to the wing so we can be a threat from the left as well as the right.

Dear god that was some atrocious defending. What the fuck

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Our defending around the area is Conference level. Goddammit

Wow.. what a clueless performance. There doesn't appear to be any discernible plan of attack except to lob it in from midfield and hope Viduka or Cahill outmuscles their respective markers. Terribly lethargic.

Less than 10 minutes to go and I fear we could be going out. Still mathematically possible to get through I suppose, but even if we beat Thailand we'd have to still hope Oman and Iraq play a draw.

3-1 Man.. now I feel like an idiot

Last edited:

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Arnie might be popular with the players but he can't organise a defence for squat. Guus made us look about twice as good as we do now.

3-1 now, get a proper coach and it's time we lost the arrogance with regards to Asia as well.

HSC
Our defense is awful!! :(

Oh, also, can any of you hear the high pitched "Mosquito" noise, every now and then while watching this?

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Really disappointing, particularly when you consider that a lot of our best players will be past their best by the next major tournament.

HSC
Lucas Neill got a red card for talking back to the ref or something. :( We're down to 10 players.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
chocolate_lover said:
Lucas Neill got a red card for talking back to the ref or something. :( We're down to 10 players.
That's a good thing. It means Lucas Neill can't play against Thailand. We should have dropped both Neill and Kisnorbo (particularly Neill).

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
One coach like Arnold simply cannot change the way the team plays in a matter of days. He just doesn't konw what to do out there. Sure we're behind on the scoreboard so let's just do a Mourinho and play 3-0-7. Kewell again did jack squat, Kisnorbo was horrible, so was Neill, absolute shite. This is why I can never believe how good Neill was at the World Cup, because he is usually a shit defender.

We're now on the verge of getting knocked out at the group stage. I'd take that, it'll make me feel better than watch Australia play like crap under Arnold every time.

Oh well, guess I'll have to hope China does well against Iran.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Particularly Kisnorbo. What the heck was he doing for the second goal. Embarrassing.

... off topic.. glad to see you're still a Lost in Translation fan dhj.. or is it just Suntory you like now? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)