Official Asian Cup 2007 Thread (1 Viewer)

KRSONEOST

HSC
mat2154 said:
hopeless performance, schwarzer's worst game i've ever seen and the defence is in tatters. if i was coach i would make some radical changes:

its pretty much a 4-4-2 with grella dropping back in defence and cahill moving up to support the lone striker. post your alternate lineups if you don't agree with this one

GK: Adam Federici
LB: Alvin Ceccoli
CB: Eddie Bosnar
CB: Lucas Neill
RB: Mark Milligan
LM: Harry Kewell
CM: Vince Grella
CM: Jason Culina
RM: Marco Bresciano
AM: Tim Cahill
F: Mark Viduka

Coach: Graeme Souness, doesn't have a contract at the moment managed liverpool, benifica, rangers, newcastle united, blackburn rovers so he should have the tactical and technical knowledge to move the team forward

Ur not saying schwarzer played bad r u...he did nothing rong all game and the goals were 3 mistakes from the defence kisnorbo and wilkshire (wilkshire isnt even a defender) r just not good enuff...I dont c wots rong with playing Thwaite he never did anything rong and played good weneva he had the opportunity...also, scott mcdonald looks a good player i rkn he shudda been picked and wheres Josh Kennedy??? is he injured? coz he played good wen he was in the squad in 2006...but yeh australia r crap in defense rite now plus neill will miss the next game but also need they need a centre mid to make stuff happen if u watch the asians ply each team has a good centre mid who controls the play, Australia dont have that, maybe Nick Carle should play...

btw Newcastle had their worst season in years wen Grahame Souness was their manager and its looking like Houllier mite get the Australian job...Cant blame Arnie tho, the FFA shudda picked a coach earlier, not his fault...

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
KRSONEOST said:
Ur not saying schwarzer played bad r u...he did nothing rong all game and the goals were 3 mistakes from the defence kisnorbo and wilkshire
Umm the first goal was entirely Schwarzer's fault

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Judging by the Iraq/Thailand game last night, and if Australia plays like that again, we'll be home much earlier than most people expect
Saw it coming!
Just an awful performance, we were completely outmatched by a side who was actually attempting to give their best. We lacked even the fundamentals, while Iraq was even attempting to bring out some flair. Like that attempted chip over Schwarzer, just brilliant

mat2154

HSC
Josh kennedy is injured

schwarzer has been a decent keeper, but he pulls off some awesome saves but he struggles against high balls into the box and free kicks (japan and iraq). hiddink saw that his weakness was the high ball and tried to protect him in the croatia match by placing kalac into the team.

Last edited:

KRSONEOST

HSC
bazookajoe said:
Umm the first goal was entirely Schwarzer's fault
WDF how was it entirely his fault, ok he didnt come off his line but ud expect the defense to clear that did u c the goal grella wasnt even marking anyone and he was in the box howcome the defense didnt headder it out? lazy/shit defenders...either way even if it was the slightest bit his fault he didnt have a bad game mad alot of saves and looked good and the other guy abt the japan game the ref even admitted that was a foul after the game THE STRIKER TOOK HIM OUT, and kalac played shit agenst croatia if schwarzer played we wudda won

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
absolutely hopeless
but who wouldve thought....favourites to win the asian cup on the verge of coming straight home
very very disappointing.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
they have to beat thailand and hope iraq beat oman for australia to advance.
if we lose or draw we're out.
if oman wins, then we'll need to smash thailand by some margin i think.

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
Nope
It's head to head
We only need to beat Thailand

only....
LOL

BritneySpears

Banned
HSC
Iraq beat Australia :eek:

I think Iraq made huge progress in the sport field as well, thanks to George Bush.

KRSONEOST

HSC
dhampoet said:
Nope
It's head to head
We only need to beat Thailand

only....
LOL
yeh...i dont noe y everyones saying they gotta depend on other results...if australia win by 3 goals their thru for sure, if they win by 2 goals theyll have the same goal difference as thailand and then it mite depend on who had more goals 'for'...its funny coz Australia cud still win the group OMAN CUD EVEN WIN THE GROUP lol if they smash iraq and australia wins their game...

mat2154

HSC
pretty sure arnold will get the sack unless we win the asian cup

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Oh well.. at least if Diana were still here she'd have a little to cheer about. Roll on Thailand. Lets put in a decent performance and quailfy or not, at least not go home the laughing stock of Asia.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
so far with our performances we are already a laughing stock of Asia.
I guess the world cup performances were a one off thing....

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Well if we smash Thailand 4-0 we could still have something to cheer about. :p

Meanwhile China leading Iran at least, so something for me and LMF to cheer about for the moment.

Support for China here is spectacular. Out of all the decent teams in the competition China is probably the best supported here I've seen so far. If they get to the semis everyone there will be behind them.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
I've liked this Asian Cup so far. Lots of handy footballers on show, but apart from Schwarzer and Al-Habsi, the keepers have been hilariously dodgy on the whole. Cracking game tonight though. Korea-Bahrain should be worth watching as well.

Evergreen

HSC
I hope China vs Korea sometime in this tourney so Koreans can kick their asses.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
China Iran ended 2-2. Group C could well be decided on who puts the most past Malaysia. A draw at least against Uzbek will put China through on account of its higher goals scored compared to Uzbek. Iran are through with any result against Malaysia.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Benny_ said:
Well if we smash Thailand 4-0 we could still have something to cheer about. :p

Meanwhile China leading Iran at least, so something for me and LMF to cheer about for the moment.

Support for China here is spectacular. Out of all the decent teams in the competition China is probably the best supported here I've seen so far. If they get to the semis everyone there will be behind them.
Apparently there were more Iranians than Chinese in the stadium.

First half was good, second half was all Iran. Too bad they scored right on HT, otherwise we would've had a better chance of winning the game.

Iran's main weakness is its defence, and Zhu Guanghu didn't exploit it in the second half, which is what he should've done. Bring on Dong Fangzhuo late in the half and pressure the defence. But look what he does, take our only forward out of the game and put a defender on to play 5-4-1, and put the attacking midfielder Zheng up front. To me that's throwing the game away, ridiculous.

I've always had a feeling China will get overrun in the latter stages of the game, and that's what happened. We got lucky and got the draw. At least it's pleasing to see that we can start a game well and score some nice goals. If only Australia can do the same.

Evergreen said:
I hope China vs Korea sometime in this tourney so Koreans can kick their asses.
I'm tired of watching China lose against Korea. Let's hope this time things can change. We seemed to be cursed against the Koreans, something like 20 years without a win at all levels against Korea.

_dhj_ said:
China Iran ended 2-2. Group C could well be decided on who puts the most past Malaysia. A draw at least against Uzbek will put China through on account of its higher goals scored compared to Uzbek. Iran are through with any result against Malaysia.
China drawing Uzbekistan will put China on 5 points and Uzbekistan on 4 points.

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Same thing :eek:. We just need to win and hope Iran doesn't put too many past Malaysia. I think given that they've just come off two heavily losses they could have learnt to keep it tight and play for pride. At 2-2 I think throwing on another defender was a good move actually because the draw already puts us in a good position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)