Official BOS Study Meat v2.0 (Winter Edition) (2 Viewers)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
for all x in what?
not really relevant... but i figure it'd be 'for all x in R'

i just took it from wikipedia. use it more as an exercise in deciphering set notation, rather than... figuring out what it actually represents :p

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Stop attempting to flex your Maths penes.

This is for relevant information, keep it on the topic of the Meat (aimed at high school students no less).

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
You use Mathtype?
Yep for this one I will just use Math Type because TeXing the whole thing would take far too long. Perhaps next time.

You will be teaching us basic notation right?
Yep, though it really isn't that difficult. Backwards E = There exists. Upside down A = For all, x E [a,b] means x lies in between a and b, inclusive. x E (a,b) means same as before, but not inclusive etc etc.

But I'll run through it quickly during the seminar.

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
Just finished typing up a fair few questions!

Here's a bit of a taste of what to expect in the Extension 2 Mathematics Seminar:

C.S Inequality! Wasn't aware of a solution that was even within the scope of the Mathematics Advanced (2 unit) syllabus.

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
I think he meant Extension 2?
Actually, the method Carrotsticks had over there can be done using 2 unit Maths methods. All that it has is:

1. Summation notation.
2. Use of the discriminant.
3. To understand where equality occurs, just observe -b_i/a_i for i E N.

All of these things are well within the 2 unit syllabus. However, spotting to use them together to prove the C.S Inequality would require the skills of an Extension 2 student.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
its pretty much a quadratic with a crapload of annoying notation

HSC
Actually, the method Carrotsticks had over there can be done using 2 unit Maths methods. All that it has is:

1. Summation notation.
2. Use of the discriminant.
3. To understand where equality occurs, just observe -b_i/a_i for i E N.

All of these things are well within the 2 unit syllabus. However, spotting to use them together to prove the C.S Inequality would require the skills of an Extension 2 student.
no, it could be done by a 2u student as long as they can get their head around the notation, the concepts are fairly simple to understand for that proof
its pretty much a quadratic with a crapload of annoying notation
ahhh ok then, all that notation seems intimidating :(

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Anyway, I just found out that MATHSOC has organised its Executive Meeting on Wednesday... which means I'm probably not going to be able to attend, unfortunately.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Anyway, I just found out that MATHSOC has organised its Executive Meeting on Wednesday... which means I'm probably not going to be able to attend, unfortunately.
Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do. Have fun!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'll try.

You kids have fun too. Sorry I had to back out... but you know, it's not the first time I've suddenly been not able to go to something because something's come up. Third time this holidays, what are the chances?

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
lol you could've asked me to change the date of the meeting, gosh :p

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
or you can just attend the next meeting and miss out on this wednesday's one

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
lol you could've asked me to change the date of the meeting, gosh :p
or you can just attend the next meeting and miss out on this wednesday's one
Yeah, but lots of people are going on Wednesday... but I'll post if we can possibly change the date.

Plus I want to be there for all the meetings. It's something I half-promised myself.

deswa1

HSC
Can any of the english gods that are coming bring any essays that they have so I can have a look at things like structure, expression etc?

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
hey guise ~

I'll bring along a copy of all the essays I wrote from last year. As someone who went into trials and the HSC with (readily adaptable) memorised essays, I totally understand if any of you are the type who just cannot bring themselves to write an essay on the spot by simply utilising a list of memorised techniques/quotes... so feel free to find me on the day if you want any tips on how to write said adaptable essays (I seriously only wrote one essay per section/module, then kind of just looked at billions of papers and thought about whether I could, or how I could, adapt my essay to that question if I were in an exam situation), or if you just want to take a look at my essays, or ask anything text-specific, etc.

I'll also have a look at any essays. I did The Crucible, Pride and Prejudice, Hamlet and Ted Hughes, so apart from AOS, I don't really feel qualified to look over anything else D:

If anyone is interested, I'll also bring along my original paper from the 2011 HSC. I got a raw mark of 44/45 for AOS (14.5, 14.5, 15)... although I may not feel comfortable sharing the creative. Just find me on the day.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
hey guise ~

I'll bring along a copy of all the essays I wrote from last year. As someone who went into trials and the HSC with (readily adaptable) memorised essays, I totally understand if any of you are the type who just cannot bring themselves to write an essay on the spot by simply utilising a list of memorised techniques/quotes... so feel free to find me on the day if you want any tips on how to write said adaptable essays (I seriously only wrote one essay per section/module, then kind of just looked at billions of papers and thought about whether I could, or how I could, adapt my essay to that question if I were in an exam situation), or if you just want to take a look at my essays, or ask anything text-specific, etc.

I'll also have a look at any essays. I did The Crucible, Pride and Prejudice, Hamlet and Ted Hughes, so apart from AOS, I don't really feel qualified to look over anything else D:

If anyone is interested, I'll also bring along my original paper from the 2011 HSC. I got a raw mark of 44/45 for AOS (14.5, 14.5, 15)... although I may not feel comfortable sharing the creative. Just find me on the day.
Yes please! :) Thank you for the offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)