• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

OH MY GOD!! Muslims Outnumber World's Catholics (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
VATICAN CITY (March 30) - Islam has surpassed Roman Catholicism as the world's largest religion, the Vatican newspaper said Sunday.
"For the first time in history, we are no longer at the top: Muslims have overtaken us," Monsignor Vittorio Formenti said in an interview with the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano. Formenti compiles the Vatican's yearbook.

He said that Catholics accounted for 17.4 percent of the world population — a stable percentage — while Muslims were at 19.2 percent.

"It is true that while Muslim families, as is well known, continue to make a lot of children, Christian ones on the contrary tend to have fewer and fewer," the monsignor said.

Formenti said that the data refer to 2006. The figures on Muslims were put together by Muslim countries and then provided to the United Nations, he said, adding that the Vatican could only vouch for its own data.

When considering all Christians and not just Catholics, Christians make up 33 percent of the world population, Formenti said.

Spokesmen for the Vatican and the United Nations did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment Sunday.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/muslims-outnumber-worlds-catholics/20080330161309990001

Religion is mind raping

HSC
yea... so we're going to count shiites and sunni's together but not protestants and catholics? oh okay ^___^

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Christianity: 33.1%
Islam: 20.3%
Non-religious: 15.3%
Hinduism 13.3%
Chinese Universists: 6.3%
Buddhism: 5.9%
Unknown/other: 5.8%

World population growth rate: 1.167%
Christian population growth rate: 1.3%
Muslim population growth rate: 1.9%
Hindu population growth rate: 1.5%

It is important to note that whilst the Muslim population growth rate is higher than all other religions, it is also generally dropping faster than all other religions, whereas Hinduism and Christianity population growth rates have remained constant (and in many places are increasing).

That is to say: rate of growth of rate of growth is important to consider (2nd derivative), especially where base populations are concerned.

A lot of the change in rate of growth of rate of growth is due to things like wars, freedom and opportunities (especially for women). Human rights for women have only just begun to come to attention in the Muslim world.

It will be an interesting century.

HSC
if i were racist, this would be a great time to account the declining birth rate to suicide bombing.

as such...ill end this post.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Islam is dumb as hell

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
good, i was kinda getting tired of them catholics anyway

p__D

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
jb_nc said:
Islam is dumb as hell
As much as I love the West, I agree with Strauss in that Western Liberalism leads to legalism, which leads individualism, which leads to a society which struggles to define itself and therefore struggles to defend itself.

It may be true that nothing is true, but I think that very clever people have an ethical duty to create convincing noble lies for the masses - somewhat better than WMDs and the War on Terror, more in line with a traditional Christian message re good v evil, civilizing mission etc

I admire Islam's virtually unique success in staving off the material, corrosive, decadent, nihilistic, individualism born of the west. But I disagree with almost all their means.

HSC
Iron said:
As much as I love the West, I agree with Strauss in that Western Liberalism leads to legalism, which leads individualism, which leads to a society which struggles to define itself and therefore struggles to defend itself.

It may be true that nothing is true, but I think that very clever people have an ethical duty to create convincing noble lies for the masses - somewhat better than WMDs and the War on Terror, more in line with a traditional Christian message re good v evil, civilizing mission etc

I admire Islam's virtually unique success in staving off the material, corrosive, decadent, nihilistic, individualism born of the west. But I disagree with almost all their means.
If we give up our individualism how will we be any different to them?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Well we could start by defining ourselves as against them. But that's delicate and usually leads to intolerance, violence.
But by defining ourselves as overwhelming forces for good, with uncomprimising beliefs in utilitarianism, democracy, compassion, duty, mercy, hope, tolerance, justice, non-violence, peace, moral absolutes (...) couldnt hurt. To do this, we need an unquestioned authority around which these ideals are expressed (i.e. Church [God] and/or State [popular sov])
If you're not with us and our way of life, youre against us.

It's not that, say, Islam must be absolutely conquored or saved, but it saps our vitality and effectiveness if we accept their worldview as equally valid to ours (even if it is)
This is healthy

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Well we could start by defining ourselves as against them. But that's delicate and usually leads to intolerance, violence.
This isn't about 'us' versus 'them'. Not everybody is aginst Islam, for a variety of reasons (i.e they don't suffer from idiocy)

But by defining ourselves as overwhelming forces for good, with uncomprimising beliefs in utilitarianism, democracy, compassion, duty, mercy, hope, tolerance, justice, non-violence, peace, moral absolutes (...) couldnt hurt.
The Western world hardly holds any of these ideals. This is especially easy to see when a Western country illegally invades your country, kills thousands and takes your oil in the name of 'democracy' or 'world peace'.

To do this, we need an unquestioned authority around which these ideals are expressed (i.e. Church [God] and/or State [popular sov])
So basically you're saying that it is okay to attempt to assimilate others into our way of life and if they don't agree or accept they're 'against us' and deserve to be destroyed, right?

It's not that, say, Islam must be absolutely conquored or saved, but it saps our vitality and effectiveness if we accept their worldview as equally valid to ours (even if it is)
Get off my planet.

This is healthy

This is horrible

aruy

HSC
N/A
wtf is up with u man..

The Western world hardly holds any of these ideals. This is especially easy to see when a Western country illegally invades your country, kills thousands and takes your oil in the name of 'democracy' or 'world peace'.

U GET THE OFF MY PLANET!

ALRITE THE MEDIA AND INTERNET SHITHEADS HAVE COMPLETELY MISGUIDED THE VIEW OF IRAQ, IF OIL IS BEING STOLEN. Y THA FCK DUZ IT COST SO MUCH U IDIOCRATIC SHIT.

Islam is a perfectly valid belief, its worldview is equally valid to our own.
u cannot judge someone on what their beliefs are, simply on how they interpret those beliefs. If someone chooses to kill themselves and 50 other innocent persons just to get to one outside in their so called 'holy' land does not neccesarily mean that is the majority of the religion.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
U GET THE OFF MY PLANET!

ALRITE THE MEDIA AND INTERNET SHITHEADS HAVE COMPLETELY MISGUIDED THE VIEW OF IRAQ, IF OIL IS BEING STOLEN. Y THA FCK DUZ IT COST SO MUCH U IDIOCRATIC SHIT.
Because the oil being stolen in Iraq has no direct correlation to oil prices in Australia. Giant corporations are ripping us off.

Islam is a perfectly valid belief, its worldview is equally valid to our own.
u cannot judge someone on what their beliefs are, simply on how they interpret those beliefs. If someone chooses to kill themselves and 50 other innocent persons just to get to one outside in their so called 'holy' land does not neccesarily mean that is the majority of the religion.
I completely agree.

Nat3skiz

HSC
both religions are a massive lie to control the masses.
who cares who outnumbers who they are both the epitome
of humans fragility.

Aryanbeauty

HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
Because the oil being stolen in Iraq has no direct correlation to oil prices in Australia. Giant corporations are ripping us off.
Do you have any source that Iraqi oil is stolen by whom , when and where ?

Is selling =stealing under Islamic Law?

Both religions are religion of death. And both of them want their followers to multiply like pigs.

HSC
Iron said:
But by defining ourselves as overwhelming forces for good, with uncomprimising beliefs in utilitarianism, democracy, compassion, duty, mercy, hope, tolerance, justice, non-violence, peace, moral absolutes (...) couldnt hurt. To do this, we need an unquestioned authority around which these ideals are expressed (i.e. Church [God] and/or State [popular sov])

This is healthy
What is our way of life? What we call our way of life changes every 50 years, and appears antiquated within a century, so how can you create any strict definition for how we should live without limiting the very progress which now allows us to look upon Middle Eastern society and deride it for its backwardness?

This article is a much better way of looking at it, and gives me hope that Islam will one day benefit from its own Enlightenment. A bit pie in the sky, but it's worth at least trying to encourage Islamic liberalism before resorting to the utterly stupid "with us or against us" attitude.

HSC
AryanBeauty, how much support does Mali give to organisations for the destruction of Israel?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)