• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

opinion on journeys question???? (1 Viewer)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
*Baby-K* said:
There should be 2 techniques per quote to back up the quote, the quote only gets 1/2 a mark

I have 30 techniques overall, but probably 25 different techniques all together
Says who, your tutor?
Because the quote
"I pray thee, mark me that a brother be/So prefidous"
really can only be said to be utilising dramatic syntax.
I can spend a whole paragraph on the way this quote examplifies Prosperos assumptions underlying the destination of his journey, or his resentment that is a blockade in eventual change.. on and on.

Like I said, i have maybe 15 techniques and god only knows how many quotes, and have always (by a teacher who marks HSC regularly) recieved A band marks.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
*Baby-K* said:
There should be 2 techniques per quote to back up the quote, the quote only gets 1/2 a mark

I have 30 techniques overall, but probably 25 different techniques all together
you make essays sound so formulae, thats not how i do it at all and i still do well?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Kujah said:
I guess if she's got the quality and the quantity, then its all good.

I'm aiming around for 1200-1300 words all up for Section III.
Oh of course, but I dont like people spurting that you can only get high marks with 30 techniques or quotes because thats not true.
Theres many roads leading to the same destination.

hjp.

HSC
Louise030046 said:
Hi pollard! i agree with you i'll be lucky to get 1000 haha this is all making me very nervous haha
don't be nervous!
it'll be fine!

1500 words is impressive, but it's not necessary

*Baby-K*

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Me either.
I mean, I have a good paragraph designated to the use of vague stage direction and setting.
You don't need to go into THAT much detail just use them to back your argument

ok this is an extract from my essay from one of my related texts:

"Wombat's physical journey is forced upon him as he didn't expect to lose his mother as revealed through the chiarascuro of the orange/red colours, foreshadowing a tragedy. The picture further exemplifies wombat's alienation by placing him under the tree and drawing him small juxtaposed to the scenery representing the outside world"

hjp.

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Says who, your tutor?
Because the quote
"I pray thee, mark me that a brother be/So prefidous"
really can only be said to be utilising dramatic syntax.
I can spend a whole paragraph on the way this quote examplifies Prosperos assumptions underlying the destination of his journey, or his resentment that is a blockade in eventual change.. on and on.

Like I said, i have maybe 15 techniques and god only knows how many quotes, and have always (by a teacher who marks HSC regularly) recieved A band marks.
talk yourself up a bit more.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
*Baby-K* said:
You don't need to go into THAT much detail just use them to back your argument

ok this is an extract from my essay from one of my related texts:

"Wombat's physical journey is forced upon him as he didn't expect to lose his mother as revealed through the chiarascuro of the orange/red colours, foreshadowing a tragedy. The picture further exemplifies wombat's alienation by placing him under the tree and drawing him small juxtaposed to the scenery representing the outside world"
However my essay is structured conceptually. I look at the role of location, self reflection, and eventual change. So, detail is critical.

And yes, it does. EW
Though you'll thank me if Ive guessed the question XD

hjp.

HSC
lol cheese, i think we're out of our depth here.

two kids from tronno' high
what hope have we got

*Baby-K*

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
However my essay is structured conceptually. I look at the role of location, self reflection, and eventual change. So, detail is critical.

And yes, it does. EW
Lol stop being so protective over your essay- I am not telling you to use 30 techniques, simply saying that it's what I am going to do. There are many ways to get a good mark and well techniques, ideas and structure is going to be mine since I can't get it any other way, besides english is not even my first language.

Louise030046

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
And yes, it does. EW
haha if only! last years question was about destinations

:(

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
*Baby-K* said:
Lol stop being so protective over your essay- I am not telling you to use 30 techniques, simply saying that it's what I am going to do. There are many ways to get a good mark and well techniques, ideas and structure is going to be mine since I can't get it any other way, besides english is not even my first language.
I'm not being protective, I'm honestly just a little amazed that you're able to manage it.
I'm simply saying you come off with the feel that you know that 30 techniques was the best way to get great marks, probably misinterpretation on my behalf -and I pointed out how I do it to examplify that thats not true.

But I agree, theres many way to get good marks and kudos on developing your own strategy.

radioheaded

HSC
-may-cat- said:
you make essays sound so formulae, thats not how i do it at all and i still do well?
Agreed. 30 is completely unnecessary. The main focus is the concept of journeys, techniques are simply used to support the bigger ideas you have.

But hey, to each his own..

Louise030046

HSC
hjp. said:
lol cheese, i think we're out of our depth here.

two kids from tronno' high
what hope have we got
rofl god love you. at least we're getting a look at the competition.

these are band 6 six kids obvs. our school hasn't ever had one of those lol

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
radioheaded said:
Agreed. 30 is completely unnecessary. The main focus is the concept of journeys, techniques are simply used to support the bigger ideas you have.

But hey, to each his own..
Essentially what I was saying.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
I hope they give stimulus material instead of quotes in the creative writing. quotes gives too much of a restriction.
for part 3, how much is 1500 words written? i was thinking of sticking in between 6-7 pages (i think each booklet has 7 pages total)
i think if you have too many techniques already in your head you tend to 'list' instead of having a cohesion of ideas. it would be better if you just have a smaller number (small as in definately less than 30 lol) and analyse those in more detail.
one thing im dreading is having to waste time reading the passages in part 1... i tend to kind of skim read, which means i have to go back and read it again, thus wasting more time.

hjp.

HSC
Louise030046 said:
rofl god love you. at least we're getting a look at the competition.

these are band 6 six kids obvs. our school hasn't ever had one of those lol
LOL, BUT I BET THESE KIDS SCHOOLS HAVE NEVER BEEN ON A CURRENT AFFAIR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)