• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

OTHER Students Affecting YOUR marks? (1 Viewer)

seanmc3

HSC
"When they rank you, they will compress. The lower kids will be pushed up some, and the kids higher up will drop down some"
- rough quotage from my Music teacher..
I come from a small school, Where the music class was lucky to run with our numbers. I am a very musically focused student, Hours and hours spent on practical and Aural aspects. The other students... Not so much. I was the only student that handed in the last assessment task.

And my teacher tells me that our marks (on average as a class) will affect our individual rankings...

Not hard to see how i might feel about this..
Open for general discussion, because I cant be the only one that finds this a problem

HSC
i can't stand people who use this excuse over and over again. No if you come first internally, then your mark will not be pushed down. Don't blame poor UN-studious kids for your bad marks.

2xL

HSC
i can't stand people who use this excuse over and over again. No if you come first internally, then your mark will not be pushed down. Don't blame poor UN-studious kids for your bad marks.
Calm down, OP never said if he got bad marks.

Teebag

HSC
Did you not read what OP posted?

Aysce

HSC
How is OP using this an excuse? Obviously if he is the only one handing in the assessment, he's bound to get 1st easily - it's guaranteed. Calm down.

He hasn't even stated how well he is doing in music...

seanmc3

HSC
Im not one of those kids to make excuses, I know if I've made a poor effort and that's no ones fault but mine if that happens. But if other kids are in music because they think its a bludge and they can get away with little effort? Not happy if it's going to affect those who are actually trying hard.
If being 1st means I wont be affected, I'm all good, and thank you for your time :)

marlow415

HSC
N/A
What if theres two good kids in the class so you come second but the other 15 kids are idiots?

qwerty44

HSC
What if theres two good kids in the class so you come second but the other 15 kids are idiots?
As long as you and first are a big distance from the rest, you will be affect less by them.

Josh1996

HSC
Yeh i find sometimes that other people in the classroom can be a bit distracting, however i try to just ignore them, its probably the best thing you can do, as the only person you can change is yourself, not others.

Josh1996

HSC
Im not one of those kids to make excuses, I know if I've made a poor effort and that's no ones fault but mine if that happens. But if other kids are in music because they think its a bludge and they can get away with little effort? Not happy if it's going to affect those who are actually trying hard.
If being 1st means I wont be affected, I'm all good, and thank you for your time :)
No they will most likely not get away with a poor mark, they will just fail that subject and get a bad mark for HSC, so if i were you don't worry bout them. :)

ClassOf2013

HSC
I've actually been pretty worried about this recently. I do Business Studies, there's about 12 in the class, less than half of which actually take the class seriously, the other half sit and talk or play games on their phones/laptops and don't listen. Same with General Maths and SOR. I understand if you get the top mark nothing happens to your mark, but what about if, say, four people do well, and you're second or third? Will the hard workers' marks be scaled down due to the bludgers?

seanmc3

HSC
Does anyone actually know why they move some marks down?
I can understand them pushing some marks up to an acceptable level for some students, But it seems only logical that a student should be ranked for their OWN mark, and their own mark alone.
What genius thought: "(student A)'s mark is pretty good, but he had some fellow students that were'nt as hard working. Let's bring him down a notch"
I guess my advice now for other people is work extremely hard, because that's all you can do really.
:guitar:

Magical Kebab

HSC
"When they rank you, they will compress. The lower kids will be pushed up some, and the kids higher up will drop down some"
- rough quotage from my Music teacher..
I come from a small school, Where the music class was lucky to run with our numbers. I am a very musically focused student, Hours and hours spent on practical and Aural aspects. The other students... Not so much. I was the only student that handed in the last assessment task.

And my teacher tells me that our marks (on average as a class) will affect our individual rankings...

Not hard to see how i might feel about this..
Open for general discussion, because I cant be the only one that finds this a problem
Just do ur best. Don't worry about others. I go to a school which is ranked 600+ so I'm on the same boat, but mines sinking.
Just ace everything.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Does anyone actually know why they move some marks down?
I can understand them pushing some marks up to an acceptable level for some students, But it seems only logical that a student should be ranked for their OWN mark, and their own mark alone.
What genius thought: "(student A)'s mark is pretty good, but he had some fellow students that were'nt as hard working. Let's bring him down a notch"
I guess my advice now for other people is work extremely hard, because that's all you can do really.
:guitar:
You just don't understand the system properly.

You aren't just " taken down" for the sake of it, you're internal mark is relative to the performance of others. If you do well in comparison, you willl still do well after moderation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)