pages for the pip? (1 Viewer)

teach77

HSC
N/A
I am a teacher of Society and Culture who has been marking PIPs for a number of years, any I still advise my students that they can use an appendix if they want, as long as they know that it's for their own peace of mind only and it won't be marked. I agree with you regarding the very long appendix in the previous post - we really hate PIPs where the appendix is longer than the PIP itself, especially by this much!
And sj1990, 500 words over is not alright - the central material is 2500 to 5000 words. This is a word range, not a word limit, so the upper end of that range is where you need to stop. You need to be brutal - perhaps get a sibling or parent to read it and tell you where you're being repetitive or saying stuff that is not needed. Another person is going to be much more able to do this than you, as you're too invested in it (because you've put so much hard work in).
We are always trying to give you as many marks as we can when we mark PIPs, but to be fair to all students we do have to apply the criteria for the PIP, and word count is one of these.
Good luck!

tess_gee

HSC
Oh no... I am terrified. My PIP is over the word limit by 500 words. I can't cull, it's due tomorrow and I am absolutely certain that all information is relevant. Can they give me 0 if it's too long? What will they do? Help! Help!

teach77

HSC
N/A
Calm down! First of all, they won't give you 0! There may be a penalty but it would be minor - it may preclude you from moving into a higher mark range - you may end up sitting on 24 instead of moving up to 25-26, for example. But really, do try to get someone else to read it and tell you where something could be cut - there's bound to be a couple of paragraphs that are a bit more flowery than they need to be!
Good luck!

clo-ree

HSC
My pip is 71 pages :) Goodbye Mr Personal Interest Project. Can't wait to email it to my teacher and never have to worry about looking at it again.

0hNivlek

HSC
I'm over by 123 words for my CM. Couldn't cut much so i printed it LOL.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I am a teacher of Society and Culture who has been marking PIPs for a number of years, any I still advise my students that they can use an appendix if they want, as long as they know that it's for their own peace of mind only and it won't be marked. I agree with you regarding the very long appendix in the previous post - we really hate PIPs where the appendix is longer than the PIP itself, especially by this much!
That's so strange... I always saw an appendix as a means to supplement and back up you're arguments without interrupting the flow of writing. tbh it seems a little silly to me that they should be completely ignored as an unnecessary add on.

teach77

HSC
N/A
You're right, an appendix is a crucial part of a piece of academic work and serves a number of key functions - yet it does not appear in the syllabus for THIS particular piece of academic work, and therefore the marking criteria, ergo will not be marked. A student would not be penalised for having one, and markers recognise that, even though not required, an appendix is in the spirit of social research. Many appendixes show a real desire to engage with the issues of conducting research and verification of authenticity and that is fine - but still not needed. However, many more appendixes are simply copies of completed surveys, covers from magazines, many dozens of focus group transcripts, and, as you said before, more than double the length of the actual PIP. THOSE are the appendixes that are annoying! The others are just not regarded, as they're not being marked. It wouldn't be fair to award marks for an appendix when it doesn't appear anywhere in the guidelines for the project.

Bottom line: include one by all means, but know that it will not contribute to your mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)