Parental expectations... (1 Viewer)

ascentyx

HSC
my parents are asian, they wanted me to do medicine or law but realised that they'd have to pay for it

they settled with engineering because it was the 'cheaper' option LOL

typical cheap asian parents
Honestly, if you picked engineering because your parents wanted you to do it, you are going to regret that severly in the next few years.

showy

HSC
My parents do have high expectations of me, but that's because I've always done well in school and uni.

They trust me to make my own choices, and don't care what I do with my life as long as I'm happy.

They're fair awesome =)

My situation is similar.

They expect me to definitely go to uni because i've always done well in school, it's up to me what i want to do from there.

They're happy to pay for my education cos they trust I'll achieve good things.

Also, they expect me to make the most of my opportunities because of their situations, my dad and all my grandparents were born in Europe and I have to do well cos they 'walked 8km to school in the snow...'

red-butterfly

HSC
Really? I thought typical Asian parents value education over money.
this is why i didn't get that nintendo 64 when I was 6 :(

I didn't want to do med or Law anyway. don't like blood... and i remember doing just 1 lesson of law in commerce in yr 9, i fell asleep and was sent out of class. my teacher said that if i had any time to sleep during her class, it would be better spent out in the hallway... so i just slept in the hallway :D

lizzay2348

HSC
My mum sees Law or Med as being the best field for a career. I guess a lot of people do. Anyway. Now I'm on the path to retail management.

ilikebeeef

HSC

I didn't want to do med or Law anyway. don't like blood... and i remember doing just 1 lesson of law in commerce in yr 9, i fell asleep and was sent out of class. my teacher said that if i had any time to sleep during her class, it would be better spent out in the hallway... so i just slept in the hallway :D
Aw. Well I can empathise with you there. I don't like blood either, and I kept micro-sleeping in court during Year 10 work experience. :D

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
seriously. if everyone starts doing med or law.

what other things would there be for other people. there'd be like tonnes of meds and tonnes of law firms/lawyers. how generic. do something different.

red-butterfly

HSC
seriously. if everyone starts doing med or law.

what other things would there be for other people. there'd be like tonnes of meds and tonnes of law firms/lawyers. how generic. do something different.
i completely agree with you!

more than half of the staff at work dropped out of school and now work there for the rest of their lives... who would run the small businesses? the local maccas? if we're all doctors and lawyers?

lizzay2348

HSC
Actually, I did start law (Business/Law at UWS 09) but realised that while it was what everyone wanted me to do, it wasn't the best thing for me :)

ilikebeeef

HSC
i completely agree with you!

more than half of the staff at work dropped out of school and now work there for the rest of their lives... who would run the small businesses? the local maccas? if we're all doctors and lawyers?
Demand will cause the non-med/legal jobs to rise in salaries and med/legal jobs to fall in salaries if that happens (assuming that everyone wants to do med/law and there are unlimited places for all professions), and the labour supply will just flow back.

Wow I'm using my knowledge gained in Year 11 Economics lol.

klaris

HSC
No parental pressure whatsoever. My school, my future is my decision. Not theirs. They wouldn't care if I wasn't going to uni. Of course, they love that I am planning on to and they always have that proud-glowing-parent thing about them when they talk about me. But, if I said I wanted to drop out after year 10 and do a hairdressing apprenticeship they would be just as happy.

Concerning friends and everything, they have SOME say but at the end of the day it is my choice. They don't like it if I am hanging around complete dickheads/drug addicts etc, but I'm not stupid and neither are my friends.

Clothing. My choice.

My parent's aren't asian.

Shaybay92

HSC
My parents are stoked that I do so well in my studies, but they never pressure me. I pressure myself. They tell me to relax once in a while. I'm the second person in the family to go to university... and will probably be the first to finish it.

HSC
My parents expect me to get married and have lots of babies. Everything is about marriage and babies to them. Ofcourse, when I turn 27, they are going to grill me until I shit a brick.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Seriously, another word about marriage or babies and I am going to puke.

HSC

Omg, I slept my way through year 12... and I always sat in the front row. Never heard a word from any of my teachers.
Your school is way harsh Tai.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
i was coerced into doing a Bachelor of commerce by my overbearing father
and so i h8 my life

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I disappoint my parents every day when I come home from studying physiotherapy rather than medicine.
A single tear rolls down my father's cheek.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
My mum wants me to do the Army Gap Year and become a teacher.

Probably not going to happen.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
So many people's parents are such bastards.

My mother only really cares if I'm happy. Going to uni next year and the only person in my family to do so. (3rd sibling of 4)

Sadiah

HSC
My parents go with the "whatever makes you happy". But in the end, I always inform them of whatever my plans are, and they give me advice.

I always end up listening to them because I eventually figure out that what I'm doing [in terms of my social life] isn't smart. :eek:

But as for educational prospects and stuff, they've never told me to pick subejct x and subject y in the HSC, and neither have they forced me to become a "doctor" or etc. They've let me do whatever I've wanted to.

Ilovethemalot. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)