Parental expectations... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Just wondering who here is expected to go into a certain field by their parents, either because everyone in their family has done it before, or because they just feel that it would be the best thing for a career?

I'm lucky. My parents take the 'Whatever makes you happy' line, mostly. The expectations were mostly my own. Everyone in my family has gone to uni, and I never considered differently. Not that I feel bad about it, I can't wait to go.

EDIT: What about other things? Like how you dress, what you wear, who you hang out with, what subjects, etc.

Last edited:

MailMofo

HSC
All you need to ask is:

Are you parents Asian? And you pretty much have you answer..

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
All you need to ask is:

Are you parents Asian? And you pretty much have you answer..
Not entirely true.

To the OP, it's the same here. My parents were easier on me that I was on myself.

MailMofo

HSC
My parents were just glad i finished the HSC, and overwhelmed when i was accepted into University.

The spur of effort for the last year of school was really worth it. :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just wondering who here is expected to go into a certain field by their parents, either because everyone in their family has done it before, or because they just feel that it would be the best thing for a career?

I'm lucky. My parents take the 'Whatever makes you happy' line, mostly.
Yes. Parents wanted me to do Medicine. My mum works in a fairly high and well paying position the Legal System, and she says she doesn't think it's the right path for me. But either way, I managed to squeeze my way out of that, and I'm doing Law this year. My parents are Asian.

HSC
Uni Grad
My parents want me to do Medicine. Or at least something as 'prestigious' (law, engineering etc.). Most of my family have 'prestigious' jobs. My parents are Asian.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Meh my parents are asian but they were just happy that i went to uni. Not many of my cousins and relatives have gone to uni/haven't gone to uni yet, so i guess there wasn't much 'family' pressure.

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
Yes. Parents wanted me to do Medicine. My mum works in a fairly high and well paying position the Legal System, and she says she doesn't think it's the right path for me. But either way, I managed to squeeze my way out of that, and I'm doing Law this year. My parents are Asian.
Aerath is asian?

Yasser Arafat

Banned
HSC
N/A
itt asians tbh

no i was not pressured as my parents are pretty sane and dont care what i do as long as i do something that makes me happy

red-butterfly

HSC
my parents are asian, they wanted me to do medicine or law but realised that they'd have to pay for it

they settled with engineering because it was the 'cheaper' option LOL

typical cheap asian parents

red-butterfly

HSC
probably

I didn't want to do med or law in the first place

was never good at humanities and i hate reading

for med i don't think i really could handle the stress of having someone else's life in my hands

mastermind666

HSC
Don't forget curries!

My parents are adamant that I do medicine. My mum practically has a fit whenever I suggest doing something else. Funnily enough, I wanted to do that anyway (but I'm not sure whether that was because I was brainwashed since I was like 4).

MailMofo

HSC
I think my first post in this thread has been reinforced.

Asian parents put a much larger expectation on their spawn.

red-butterfly

HSC
I think my first post in this thread has been reinforced.

Asian parents put a much larger expectation on their spawn.
I'd have to agree.

plus my parents probably want to be reinburst for everything, all those useless piano/violin lessons, tutoring, schooling, uni etc

my dad brags about it to all of our family and friends ==

HSC
I have a friend whose parents are from Bangladesh. They have really high expectations of all their 4 kids, not only with school, but for other things. Like she didn't come to the formal because her parents wanted her to wear a certain thing, which she didn't like, but going was conditional - she was going to have to wear it. I felt really sad for her.

red-butterfly

HSC
I have a friend whose parents are from Bangladesh. They have really high expectations of all their 4 kids, not only with school, but for other things. Like she didn't come to the formal because her parents wanted her to wear a certain thing, which she didn't like, but going was conditional - she was going to have to wear it. I felt really sad for her.
danggg thats harsh :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)