Parental expectations... (1 Viewer)

Pentapus

HSC
I asked them what they wanted me to do after high school and they said the prefered uni than anything else. Afterwards they said that i could become whatever i wanted to be and stating that i wanted to be an optometrist they immediately said no. Same thing happened after listing the other options such as a teacher and then they said " becoming a doctor is perfectly fine" I didn't even state that one ><

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
My parents expected me to goto IT or Engineering...

Smokee

HSC
Just wondering who here is expected to go into a certain field by their parents, either because everyone in their family has done it before, or because they just feel that it would be the best thing for a career?

I'm lucky. My parents take the 'Whatever makes you happy' line, mostly. The expectations were mostly my own. Everyone in my family has gone to uni, and I never considered differently. Not that I feel bad about it, I can't wait to go.

EDIT: What about other things? Like how you dress, what you wear, who you hang out with, what subjects, etc.
My parents didn't necessarily expected me to go into a certain field but they expected me to choose a decent degree that would get me a job and earn me a lot of money.
They always thought I was going to be a lawyer and for a while mum was pushing me to do accounting type stuff and my dad wanted me to do something in science.

My parents pushed me so much academically, which I'm thankful for to a point, but it also put a lot of pressure on me. But they are happy I'm at uni at least. It's still kind of annoying though because they are both so smart and they expect me to be the same. And one time I emailed mum at 4am telling her I was studying for an exam and she was like 'oh well, when I was at uni I would go to bed at 12am and get up at 4am and study, you just have to make sacrifices' and if i got like 80% in an exam dad would be like 'that still means you didn't know 20% of the stuff in the exam' so its never ending pressure from them.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
because of my dad
my life is shit

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
My parents made me choose commerce, but I had no idea what I was gonna do so I was alright with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)