Parents Divorced (1 Viewer)

Roflrowan

HSC
Hello All

My parents recently divorced and there's been a fair bit of disruption to my life, with like moving houses, and having to travel inbetween two house now, and the whole custody shit.

And i was wondering, i heard you can get extra UAI points if you experience family difficulties or breakdown during year 12. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, any helpful linkage would be appriciated =]

-RR

emca

HSC
yep but only 3 or 4 uai points. speak to year advisor or head teacher welfare. the akward thing is you might need to ask mum or dad to get a letter from the lawyers dealing with the divorce or separation but your school should have people more in the know than me like counsellors and stuff.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
You're thinking of Educational Access Schemes, which cater for people who have suffered 'disadvantage' during their HSC year. I think they let you go up to five UAI points higher, although I'm not sure exactly how they calculate everything. Each university has their own, but a lot of them let you apply through UAC, which makes things a bit easier. The page is here. They haven't added the details for 2008 admissions yet, so in the meantime I'd suggest asking your school's careers advisor or someone similar. They might have some brochures lying around.

Ozza

HSC
Mate to be honest, I went through the same thing.. except in year 11. I had the whole parents thing happen + the breakup with a long-term girlfriend and I seemed to be playing lucklustre footy.

I only ever told one teacher about it coz he wanted to know why I wasn't doing my homework or paying attention in class anymore. And he gave me the best adive I think anyone who has issues could get... you've gotta get yourself out of thinking 'well I've had this and this happen to me and this is going on right now, so I just can't do this' because that's what's gonna happen. Henry Ford had a quote in his office "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're always right". So that's it... bugger tryna use your situation as an excuse to get a better UAI... just do the work and do your best not to let it affect you. I know from experience that it's hard, but otherwise you're only fooling yourself.

lala2

Banned
HSC
just would like to say I'm sorry for your loss :( however, it may be better this way to divorce now rather than later in the year if your parents are the noisy type and have been arguing for ages rather than the drift apart type. a friend of mine could've gotten into dentistry at melbourne uni but she didn't because her parents had been fighting the entire time during our HSC and disrupted her study. the worst thing was, they refused to separate until she had finished her last exam and turned 18 (which she did, I think either right before or right after the last exam).

iamsickofyear12

HSC
A divorce... seriously, how is that worth extra UAI points?

...that's not really a question; the answer is "it's not"

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Without Wings said:
You don't get extra uai points - no one gets extra uai points for any reason. Everyone receives the UAI they gained, regardless of their situation.

Some students are eligible for a scheme which means that certain universities allow them to get into a course with a slightly lower uai then the cutoff due to their circumstances (long term disadvantage) - this is called EAS (educational access scheme). Applications open in August. You can find out more info through UAC here.

Bored of studies also has a thread about the EAS scheme here which covers some of the more commonly asked questions, I recommend you giving it a read.
But if you think about it, they really are extra UAI points now, aren't they?

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:

Your parents are obviously together.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
They are... but that's irrelevant.

Life is not always perfect, you shouldn't be given an advantage over other people because you have problems.

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
Apply for them if you really feel you've been disadvantaged in a way such that you couldn't make up for it with a bit of extra effort. My parently broke up fairly nastily in year 12 (though it'd really been happening since I was about 7) but my mum refused to leave until I had finished year 12. It kinda helped but didn't stop the fact that thye didn't speak to each other in the same house and had to move the day of my last HSC exam, that afternoon.

I don't think it affected my study much, pretty used it, so I didn't even consider applying for EAS. Only apply if you feel it necessary, there are already too many people out there trying to beat the system to weasle a UAI 2 points higher

idling fire

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Life is not always perfect, you shouldn't be given an advantage over other people because you have problems.
It's probably better to think of it this way, from the perspective of someone who has the problems:
They don't feel the best, therefore don't work the best that they're capable of.
Would they wish it upon anyone else to feel like they do? (it's not necesary to answer my own rhetorical question in parenthesis)
So it's not "an advantage" if it really affects things.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
idling fire said:
It's probably better to think of it this way, from the perspective of someone who has the problems:
They don't feel the best, therefore don't work the best that they're capable of.
Would they wish it upon anyone else to feel like they do? (it's not necesary to answer my own rhetorical question in parenthesis)
So it's not "an advantage" if it really affects things.
If we gave special considerations to everyone who had something happen to them that stopped them from doing their best work every second person would be getting extra UAI points.

Also there is no way of telling whether an event stops someone performing to their best, and there is no way of measuring any effect and giving an appropriate number of extra points for it.

It is an advantage.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The BOS and the Universities will judge each situation on its merits. That means that one person whose parents split in Year 12 may get the extra consideration and another won't due to the fact that the impact on the student/s are different.

For each application the school principal, I believe, must sign off on the application but applying is no guarantee of getting.

kloudsurfer

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
If we gave special considerations to everyone who had something happen to them that stopped them from doing their best work every second person would be getting extra UAI points.

Also there is no way of telling whether an event stops someone performing to their best, and there is no way of measuring any effect and giving an appropriate number of extra points for it.

It is an advantage.
So out of curiousity, since you obviously thing this 'problem' isnt big enough, where would you draw the line at giving people who had something happen to them special considerations?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
cem said:
The BOS and the Universities will judge each situation on its merits. That means that one person whose parents split in Year 12 may get the extra consideration and another won't due to the fact that the impact on the student/s are different.

For each application the school principal, I believe, must sign off on the application but applying is no guarantee of getting.
That is a stupid system. It is too easy to fake it.

kloudsurfer said:
So out of curiousity, since you obviously thing this 'problem' isnt big enough, where would you draw the line at giving people who had something happen to them special considerations?
I wouldn't ever give anyone special considerations.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
Ozza said:
Mate to be honest, I went through the same thing.. except in year 11. I had the whole parents thing happen + the breakup with a long-term girlfriend and I seemed to be playing lucklustre footy.

I only ever told one teacher about it coz he wanted to know why I wasn't doing my homework or paying attention in class anymore. And he gave me the best adive I think anyone who has issues could get... you've gotta get yourself out of thinking 'well I've had this and this happen to me and this is going on right now, so I just can't do this' because that's what's gonna happen. Henry Ford had a quote in his office "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're always right". So that's it... bugger tryna use your situation as an excuse to get a better UAI... just do the work and do your best not to let it affect you. I know from experience that it's hard, but otherwise you're only fooling yourself.

you're officially meant to be my best friend.

i've got that quote on my wall haha and i hold the same mentality.
theres a growing epidemic amongst our generation to want to feel sorry for themselves or to think that because something happens to them they HAVE to be affected.

Feelng sorry for oneself wont get you anywhere.

Last edited:

idling fire

HSC
Ok, so you guys don't let things bother you and perform at a level you think is satisfactory. What other people decide to do shouldn't bother you then.

miss-smexy

HSC
My friend's parents divorced last year, and he applied for EAS but he didn't get any points at all. You havta go thru your year advisor/counseller and make sure you talk to them about it, so that they can verify at the end of the year waht happened. (Although my friend did do all of this).

This is from the UTS site:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/Who Can Apply For The Inputs EAS Scheme?

To be considered for inpUTS you must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident. You may be eligible for consideration under inpUTS if you have experienced educational disadvantage during Years 11 and/or 12 or equivalent qualification. If you are a non-recent school leaver, you must have experienced educational disadvantage during a similarly significant period of your education. In most instances, to be eligible for inpUTS applicants must demonstrate that they have experienced more than one type of educational disadvantage.
The criteria for inpUTS include:
  • disrupted schooling
  • severe family disruption
  • excessive family responsibilities
  • English language difficulty
  • attending a disadvantaged or isolated school
  • financial hardship
  • adverse study conditions
  • personal illness or disability
  • other long term disadvantages which have impacted on your education.

P.S. It is different for other unis, i.e. UNSW has different requirements.

Last edited:
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:

I beg to differ. People deal with situations differently. If your parents were to get divorced tomorrow, you might deal with it in an effective way as not to disrupt your schooling. We don't know this persons situation, how they are dealing with it, how long the situation has been going on etc. All we know are the basic details. I don't think its about giving anyone an unfair advantage. I think it's about giving people the consideration they deserve. I have an autistic brother. I am applying for EAS. Because it is hard to cope. You have to experience these sorts of problems before in order to understand how hard it is. I am glad you don't have to experience these problems. Because I know it is a whole lot easier not too. It's not a matter of feeling sorry for yourself, I don't, it's about accepting the life you have and utilising the resources that are put in place to give you the assistance you need. I do my work, I study hard, I get good marks but I know that not eveyone has to look after a child with special needs in the same way a mother would. I know that not everyone has to wait til their 13 year old brother goes to sleep at 11pm before they can start 4 hours worth of study every night.

Sure, life is full of ups and downs. But you will find that in any situation, whether it be school, the workplace, anywhere, these circumstances are always taken into consideration. I'm glad you are so resilient and will never, EVER need to use such schemes. Really.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
michelleyeaman said:
I beg to differ. People deal with situations differently. If your parents were to get divorced tomorrow, you might deal with it in an effective way as not to disrupt your schooling. We don't know this persons situation, how they are dealing with it, how long the situation has been going on etc. All we know are the basic details. I don't think its about giving anyone an unfair advantage. I think it's about giving people the consideration they deserve. I have an autistic brother. I am applying for EAS. Because it is hard to cope. You have to experience these sorts of problems before in order to understand how hard it is. I am glad you don't have to experience these problems. Because I know it is a whole lot easier not too. It's not a matter of feeling sorry for yourself, I don't, it's about accepting the life you have and utilising the resources that are put in place to give you the assistance you need. I do my work, I study hard, I get good marks but I know that not eveyone has to look after a child with special needs in the same way a mother would. I know that not everyone has to wait til their 13 year old brother goes to sleep at 11pm before they can start 4 hours worth of study every night.

Sure, life is full of ups and downs. But you will find that in any situation, whether it be school, the workplace, anywhere, these circumstances are always taken into consideration. I'm glad you are so resilient and will never, EVER need to use such schemes. Really.
wrong. please enter the real world. experience. then try again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)