Parents reaction to ATAR (2 Viewers)

cata

HSC
My mum was the one that told me far out!! She beat me to it, i went out that day thinking that it would be sent in the mail on FRIDAY instead of Thursday!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
When I told my mother my results she started to cry.

She was chopping onions.
She saw my ATAR first and then got happy and asked me again (when I asw mine) later just to feel happy again.

P.S. not sure why I am quoting this but I thought I would say funny thing as well .

Last edited:

vpa2891

HSC
Atar: 99.2
Dad: Oh, well...
Mom: Well, that's good. U SHOULD LEARN COOKING NOW

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Mum: Don't worry Michael. I would be ecstatic with that (I wasn't disappointed.....)
Dad: Why'd they take the 0.05 off you? How is that fair? (My estimate was 99.9, 0.05 higher)
LOLOLOL. Dad's reaction was exactly the same here. With exactly the same estimate (99.90) and then real ATAR (99.85). :)

duckcowhybrid

HSC
LOLOLOL. Dad's reaction was exactly the same here. With exactly the same estimate (99.90) and then real ATAR (99.85). :)
What marks did you guys get for 99.85? Curious because I want/need 99.9. Congratulations to both of you though.

eloxquence

HSC
i got woken up by my mum and 9:05 and she's like OMIGOD GO CHECK ATAR. Im like ok ok ok , ended up that I had lost my pin and had to email UAC, which didnt take long but was enough for her to tell me that I was stupid and childish etc etc.

Ended up getting atar on screen and I looked and it for a few seconds and was like ok thats nice...my mum was insanely happy (i got 91.85...sorry im not good enough for you brainiacs).

When she went to work she told my dad who proceeded to tell all his employees and every customer that walked in...lol

Kamal15

HSC
LOL i found out atar on tuesday wen i got call for usyd combined med interview
this was followed by insane running around the house by both parents

and me as well
since then calls have gone out all around the world

Triquetral

HSC
So retarded. Mum cried with my actual results and dad was all happy happy and whatever. Then I told them that atar. Quote Mum: Yea :-D and Dad: some psycholophical thing about eating someones heart LOL it was scary to get that response :p

Essjaybee

HSC
So retarded. Mum cried with my actual results and dad was all happy happy and whatever. Then I told them that atar. Quote Mum: Yea :-D and Dad: some psycholophical thing about eating someones heart LOL it was scary to get that response :p
Psycholophical. I like it.

lychnobity

HSC
Mum: wow!!! I really didn't expect that! *hugs*

Dad: brilliant son! *hugs* then he starts calling the relatives

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
much happier than i was. cue mother calling relatives.

hairspray

HSC
I attempted to avoid both my parents on ATAR day so I slept over at a friend's place. I walk home through the doors at 2pm on ATAR day thinking that my dad would be at work, but he chucked a sickie so he was sitting right there on the couch as I got in...
Me: What are you doing home ?!
Dad: I'm sick, why didnt u come home last night?
(I run upstairs and an hour later I come downstairs)
Me: Do you wanna know my ATAR or not?
Dad: I don't know
Me: What is a reasonable ATAR?
Dad: I dont know... anything over 90 I guess
Me: I got 92.15
Dad: blah blah blah blah blah...(at this point I think I'm getting lectured) You better take that scholarship you got from UNSW and not go to UTS without telling me... don't be lazy, take public transport. Don't even think of living up in campus! Live at home!
And then he proceeded to pressure me to go overseas during the summer break... trust me its a punishment seeing that I HATE travelling by plane.

Mum came home an hour later...She was REALLY pleased with my ATAR, saying that it was "good enough". She suggested a shopping spree with me that night but I had to reject the offer cos I had plans with friends.

Brother LOVED the fact that I didnt get a high ATAR cos it means he doesnt have to live up to expectations of getting a high ATAR

JOSH.

HSC
When I was 8 years old, one of my sisters had just finished her HSC and I was watching TV with her on her bed (she was babysitting me), anyway she was going through some letters and didn't notice one was from UAC, anyway she opened it and it said her UAI was 90.60 and she freaked out, screaming and crying (she was expecting around 75).

So because I was the first person she told, I decided she would be the first person I told. I was wishing to get into the 80s and then I got 96.50 so I called her and she started sobbing, she was so happy hahahaha. My oldest sister got 75, then my brother got 89, then this sister got 90.60 then I got 96 :D So it steadily went up.

My dad just dropped his mouth and then sat outside for about an hour smoking and shaking his head, repeatedly whispering "96.50..." over and over again (they were expecting me to get in the late 60s, thanks mum and dad, hahaha). Once he'd calmed down he said he'd never been so proud of me and called pretty much all his relatives.

My mum cried. She went to TAFE last year (she dropped out of school at 14) to do early childhood development and was told by a lecturer there that she would be terrible at raising children and has probably made a horrible mother (she's not very academic/'book-smart'). She's now finished her diploma and is at Charles Sturt getting her degree via correspondence.
She's joking about going back to that TAFE to give the lecturer a piece of her mind as one of my sisters just won employee of the year at Photon Group, my other sister won employee of the year at News Limited - The Sunday Telegraph and my brother moved to London 2 months ago to be the head of Russell Invesments for the Asia-Pacific region. I don't really care about the mark, I'm just happy I've made my mum so happy :D :D :D

Dad said he'd be "happy with whatever I'm happy with" and mum said "anything above 50 is a pass and from what i've learnt in the past 2 years, a pass is fantastic."
So to put it simply they were like:jaw:

RocKetBoy

HSC
Me: OMG 98.65
Mum: oh thats gud, not excellent, now go have breakfast!

she is asian. lol.

bubbrubb

HSC
lol
me: 99.70 HELLS YEH
dad: im very proud...
me: then why aren't you smiling
dad: well you still can't get into medicine with your umat so whats the point of having high atar
me: thanks for reminding me

*mum enters*
mum: oh thats good!
me: hehehe
*mum loses smile quickly*
mum: but we are still upset because you can't get into medicine. see what happens when you go out so much this year? should have studied harder.

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
lol
me: 99.70 HELLS YEH
dad: im very proud...
me: then why aren't you smiling
dad: well you still can't get into medicine with your umat so whats the point of having high atar
me: thanks for reminding me

*mum enters*
mum: oh thats good!
me: hehehe
*mum loses smile quickly*
mum: but we are still upset because you can't get into medicine. see what happens when you go out so much this year? should have studied harder.
Lol aww...

I'm scared of this happening to me when I do my HSC + UMAT D:
Getting high in one and failing the other one :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)