• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Passion vs Reality (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hey!

I just hope to see opinion from people whos already been there, i.e. choose a course that they wanted to do, or choose a course because of good prospects/pay/other reasons. Do you think the decision paid off?

Personally I'm stuck between choosing a course that I like, stuff like Visual communication, Media, Design etc. But I'm scared that the degree won't pay off and I will end up working in the fruit store =.=

Obviously the other choice is to go for engineering/surveying and commerce, but I don't think Im that interested in it.

Any ideas?Thanks

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
If you have the passion to turn your dream into a reality then I wish you all the best - anything is possible. As for your backup options - they are great choices and some people who do attempt a specific degree as a backup usually end up enjoying it. :D

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I chose to study Ancient History out of high school as it was what i enjoyed and what i was best at. My degree has given me exceptional research skills, the ability to collect and and critically analyse data, form persuasive arguments, write clearly and concisely, and most importantly - to think for myself. Because i was passionate, i was given many extra-curricular opportunities; i am currently working with a team of phd students and professors as a research assistant on a lexicographical project, i have been involved in archaeological fieldwork in Israel and as of next year i will have had my first article published in an international journal (all as an undergraduate student). The structure of my degree also forced me to learn ancient languages, something i would never have seen myself doing. I am now competent in three and realise that this is where my real passion lies.

I only have a single semester left of my degree and am in a position where i have to start thinking about what i would like to do once i graduate. At the moment it's a toss up between post-graduate studies overseas, likely in Israel, or joining the Australian Air Force and working in intelligence as a linguist. Yes, it's scary not having a definite path like some others, but i don't for a second regret my decision to follow my interests as i have gained so many skills, so much confidence and and so many amazing experiences from my degree. I know what kind of person i am, what i'm good at and where i'm most likely to succeed. Your degree will only be as useful or as worthless as you make it, i think a lot of people tend to forget that these days and seem to think that Degree A = guaranteed good job, Degree B = dole bludger. If you want something you have to make it happen for yourself, simply completing the degree often isn't enough.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
I chose to study Ancient History out of high school as it was what i enjoyed and what i was best at. My degree has given me exceptional research skills, the ability to collect and and critically analyse data, form persuasive arguments, write clearly and concisely, and most importantly - to think for myself. Because i was passionate, i was given many extra-curricular opportunities; i am currently working with a team of phd students and professors as a research assistant on a lexicographical project, i have been involved in archaeological fieldwork in Israel and as of next year i will have had my first article published in an international journal (all as an undergraduate student). The structure of my degree also forced me to learn ancient languages, something i would never have seen myself doing. I am now competent in three and realise that this is where my real passion lies.

I only have a single semester left of my degree and am in a position where i have to start thinking about what i would like to do once i graduate. At the moment it's a toss up between post-graduate studies overseas, likely in Israel, or joining the Australian Air Force and working in intelligence as a linguist. Yes, it's scary not having a definite path like some others, but i don't for a second regret my decision to follow my interests as i have gained so many skills, so much confidence and and so many amazing experiences from my degree. I know what kind of person i am, what i'm good at and where i'm most likely to succeed. Your degree will only be as useful or as worthless as you make it, i think a lot of people tend to forget that these days and seem to think that Degree A = guaranteed good job, Degree B = dole bludger. If you want something you have to make it happen for yourself, simply completing the degree often isn't enough.
All the best and good luck ~ hopefully others can learn from this. If one's passion is strong then they will find a way to make their dream a reality. :)

seanieg89

HSC
I studied mathematics in uni as it is what I always loved and wanted to do with my life. Upon graduating there were pretty abundant job opportunities in finance, trading, applied mathematics etc but I chose to continue on with what I enjoyed above all...I find financial mathematics rather dull.

Am currently in the middle of a PhD and not regretting my choice one bit, I absolutely love what I do and wouldn't trade the freedom and happiness for any high paying "practical" job in finance or applied mathematics.

I reckon do what you enjoy for now, you don't want to end up sick of your line 10 years down the track and pondering "what ifs".

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Doing medicine primarily out of passion and interest. When I first started I was hellbent on being a neurosurgeon but recently I have kinda had a bit of a reality check in the sense that I have been told that neurosurgeons often don't have much of a lifestyle due to how demanding the job is and as someone who plans on having a family in the future etc. I would prefer a career that can still be compatible with the reality I want

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
i'd opt for reality.

i'm quite passionate about philosophy but the fact is, it's nigh impossible to get a philosophy related job - hence studying bcom and 'studying' philosophy in my spare time.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'd go for passion.

I took Commerce originally because "It'll get me a job" and the like, and well... a year into it - I had zero motivation for the finance subjects, I found them horrendously dull, I didn't turn up to lectures and just crammed - and my marks reflected that.

I couldn't continue with it - so I took up Arts and put my 4 units of English in the HSC to good use in an Arts (English) degree :p

And I'm loving it, and my marks are fantastic so far.

sirquack

HSC
I'm planning on doing both in a double degree. I can do what I love and know there'll always be some kind of job for me. If I start making some money, I can continue studying.

J18134

HSC
Go a combined degree if its posible. One thats a degree of passion and one that has good employment opportunities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)