Past HSC'ers: How did you results reflect your expectations? (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
English - was glad that I scraped a band 6 basically. I was expecting high 80s to low 90s. So basically fulfilled expectations.

MX1 - yeah, I was expecting low 90s or mid 90s. Fulfilled expectations.

MX2 - was expecting high 80s and if lucky, 90 (on the dot E4). Let's say I did get lucky with a 91 exam mark and 88 assessment mark --> '90' final hsc mark :haha:

Economics - thought I bombed the HSC exam terribly, going in with such a great internal rank. Let's say I didn't do too bad for the HSC exam in the end but my assessment mark was much higher than my exam mark.

Business Studies - I expected to do enough for a band 6 but turns out, I did fantastic...

Physics - I thought I did better for the exam :haha: Meh, it didn't count so no worries~

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
English - was glad that I scraped a band 6 basically. I was expecting high 80s to low 90s. So basically fulfilled expectations.

MX2 - was expecting high 80s and if lucky, 90 (on the dot E4). Let's say I did get lucky with a 91 exam mark and 88 assessment mark --> '90' final hsc mark :haha:

Economics - thought I bombed the HSC exam terribly, going in with such a great internal rank. Let's say I didn't do too bad for the HSC exam in the end but my assessment mark was much higher than my exam mark.

Business Studies - I expected to do enough for a band 6 but turns out, I did fantastic...

Physics - I thought I did better for the exam :haha: Meh, it didn't count so no worries~
You make it sound so ez lel

emilios

HSC

makes me feel better. confirms that sciences are the devil though.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
You make it sound so ez lel
I was realistic though.

I always compared my 'internal rank' to the amount of band 6s scored in that subject by my school in the previous year (2012).

I was pretty much within the estimated 'band 6 rank' (top X internally) for nearly all my subjects (except MX2). Even for Physics, I had a 90 assessment mark (my exam mark was much much lower but yeah :haha: )

I obviously considered my performance in the HSC exams as well - e.g. I definitely underperformed in the HSC Economics exam relative to my internal assessments performance.... I felt terrible after I left the exam room.

You just need to be realistic.

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think initially I had very high expectations (perhaps too high) and the reason why I set myself such high expectation was because of various circumstances, including the fact that I came from a migrant background so my disadvantaged background made me work extremely hard all throughout my senior primary and all throughout high school. I think initially I have to admit that my heart did dropped when I saw the 4 digit number which has now come to define my ATAR, because although in many other people's eyes it was a dream ATAR, I felt like I let my parents down and I also let my grade down, I think a pertinent question revolving around my mind was if only I had gotten a little more in all my exams, I could have made more people in my grade got a band 6 (since I was coming first for all my subjects save one so I had felt a lot of pressure to pull the entire grade up-much like a mother:))I think I was really happy I got a band 6 in my English advanced and extension, it was a really strong affirmation of just how far I had come from once being unable to utter a single word of English and through one year of hell in working endlessly for English, I was more than satisfied, considering my teacher literally didn't teach me much about each module at all. I was elated over my chemistry results, got a bit disappointed for visual arts (worked extremely hard for it, endless hours poured into my major work and always gotten full marks in school for prac and theory), as for my other subjects I was quite satisfied, felt very lucky at my physics results, wasn't confident I could get a band 6 at all. I think reflecting back, it was an experience that taught me much more about how to view results and use it as a platform to move towards better things rather than being eternally defined by it.

teridax

HSC
N/A
I think initially I had very high expectations (perhaps too high) and the reason why I set myself such high expectation was because of various circumstances, including the fact that I came from a migrant background so my disadvantaged background made me work extremely hard all throughout my senior primary and all throughout high school. I think initially I have to admit that my heart did dropped when I saw the 4 digit number which has now come to define my ATAR, because although in many other people's eyes it was a dream ATAR, I felt like I let my parents down and I also let my grade down, I think a pertinent question revolving around my mind was if only I had gotten a little more in all my exams, I could have made more people in my grade got a band 6 (since I was coming first for all my subjects save one so I had felt a lot of pressure to pull the entire grade up-much like a mother:))I think I was really happy I got a band 6 in my English advanced and extension, it was a really strong affirmation of just how far I had come from once being unable to utter a single word of English and through one year of hell in working endlessly for English, I was more than satisfied, considering my teacher literally didn't teach me much about each module at all. I was elated over my chemistry results, got a bit disappointed for visual arts (worked extremely hard for it, endless hours poured into my major work and always gotten full marks in school for prac and theory), as for my other subjects I was quite satisfied, felt very lucky at my physics results, wasn't confident I could get a band 6 at all. I think reflecting back, it was an experience that taught me much more about how to view results and use it as a platform to move towards better things rather than being eternally defined by it.
You're such an inspiration. :)

Repped!

Emma Watson

HSC
If there was a question in the HSC "how did you results reflect your expectations?"

and i was to mark this i'd give it a band 6 state rank 1st.

Your parents must be so proud.

iStudent

HSC
Were you aiming for .95 or something? (and you clearly have asian parents :haha:)
I can empathise with your point about "pulling the grade up" though haha.

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
I remember contacting you last year, after the first wave of assessments for year 12. I was having a rant about how obnoxiously competitive and neurotic I was, to the extent that I was blinded by success and considered jeopardising my friendships in the name of ambition. You told me to value the HSC as a learning experience, and to accept that "there can't only be just one star in the sky, because a sky full of stars makes the world more beautiful", which is something that I'll always remember.

Since then, I feel I've improved, and while I've slightly lowered my aims to avoid disappointment, I've still worked my ass off for a whole year. I'm glad that I contacted you, because you brought me back down to earth - for so long I thought I was in my own lane, but now, with three exams to go, I realise that I'm just another 18 year old struggling to accommodate for the present, while focusing on my future. I'm sorry that you didn't reach your aims, but at the same time, you wouldn't be here sharing your experiences of disappointments with the rest of us. In some way, you still got a lot of people their band 6s, never mind the pressures of picking up your cohort.

Thanks for being an inspiration Mei!

iStudent

HSC
expecting or hoping for?

saying you're hoping for a .95 is fine.

saying you're expecting a .95 is pretentious as fuark. Not even the people who get .95 are expecting a .95
He's probably topping ruse, that's why :p

photastic

HSC
I was extremely disappointed with my 2u mark last year not because it was not band 6 but I slept and did absolute nothing after the trials where I jumped ranks by 20. As a result, you kind of have a rough feeling with what you're gonna get anyways :O

waterlml

HSC
during my trials and other exams i learnt that it's better to have lower / realistic expectations than high exp. , every time i expected something high it always came below my expectations however when i expected something low it came up with an alright mark.

so realistic expectations or no expectation at all guys :wavey:

bongoli

HSC
Very interested in how IPT will be marked this year that shit was really broad... like the broadest exam i have done to date
think about it like this, if they mark really harshly; then the entrie IPT cohort will suffer and as a result scaling will be higher than previous years. But due to the broad nature of these questions, and seeing how so much can be considered as an answer, personally i believe markers will be more lenient towards marking. Hoping for either a high mark or a low cutoff :awesome::awesome::awesome:

TLDR; dw ur all gud m9

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Pretty much did exactly how i expected to tbh

Was expecting higher in year 11 but i slacked off a bit from my initial aim and was fully prepared for the marks i got

britaker

HSC
Well, seeing as I'm expecting a 99.95, I can only meet that or be disappointed, so I'm fucked.
Wow you remind me of this chick in my year who I found crying one day before the start of the HSC.

"What's goin on," I asked her, and she said

"I'm really worried I'm not going to get a good ATAR"

"Uh.. okay. Well what do you consider a bad ATAR?"

"Anything below 99"

ffs those kinds of people. Then again she's one of those only children that's totally pampered by her parents and has no idea how to talk to other people her age.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Set your expectations really low, i.e 50s or 40s.

Then anything above you'll be thrilled with (potentially)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)