People putting down food tech (1 Viewer)

benn07

HSC
I'm more embarrased by the fact that im a guy and do it, but i find it really easy, and its one of my more enjoyable subjects. Lol i beat all the girls in it too!
I dont really care about people dissing it, because most of them do all the nerdy subjects and don't see past the HSC, and yeah, most of the people in my FT class are smart.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
i enjoyed food tech as an elective in yr10

but i personally wouldnt pick it unless i can come top 1-4% of the state to compensate scaling effect

lilredelmo

HSC
You have to do really well in it!
My 81 became 59 UAI ponts!
BUT no worse than others...80 PDHPE became 57.2and 80 CAFS became 52.8!!
I loved this subject and all my others..and although I didn't get a great UAI ..I knew what i needed for my course and got in doing subjects which I enjoy and are pertinant to MY course.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Why do you seriously care if you like your subjects that much? Regardless of what others say, your love towards that subject is not going to change so just dismiss what others say.

I do some shit scaling subjects too but I don't care because I love them all and I know that, at the end of the day, I will get the best results especially from those "shit-scaling" subjects over the higher scaling subjects that I have got (e.g. 4 unit maths, cosmo).

SmRandmAzn

Banned
HSC
-may-cat- said:
Not to everyone, i agree with what your saying in regard to those who need high marks to get into a particular university course to chase their dream career, but there are many who complete their HSC without this need for high marks driving them.
The HSC is, essentially battling it out for the highest marks possible, tertiary education/work experience is for your career. Everyone knows the point of the HSC is to get a high mark to reach your desired courses. After you get into your Uni course/Tafe course or whatever, your HSC becomes pretty useless, and it's back to the beginning again. THEN you can start thinking about usefulness.

"Usefulness" should not be taken into consideration at all when choosing subjects, but rather what you believe you can score high in. If you believe that you can score at the top in a subject, such as Food Tech, then you should do it. If you can't, then don't do it, simple as that. Leave usefulness to certificates/tertiary lvl

People who complete their HSC without "this need for high marks driving them" will score low, seriously. I know it sounds negative but yeah, it's true.

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
SmRandmAzn said:
The HSC is, essentially battling it out for the highest marks possible, tertiary education/work experience is for your career. Everyone knows the point of the HSC is to get a high mark to reach your desired courses. After you get into your Uni course/Tafe course or whatever, your HSC becomes pretty useless, and it's back to the beginning again. THEN you can start thinking about usefulness.

"Usefulness" should not be taken into consideration at all when choosing subjects, but rather what you believe you can score high in. If you believe that you can score at the top in a subject, such as Food Tech, then you should do it. If you can't, then don't do it, simple as that. Leave usefulness to certificates/tertiary lvl

People who complete their HSC without "this need for high marks driving them" will score low, seriously. I know it sounds negative but yeah, it's true.
I think you have entirely missed the point...

SmRandmAzn

Banned
HSC
-may-cat- said:
I think you have entirely missed the point...
What? The point of HSC? or the point of the thread?

What is your reason for HSC then? To have fun? To learn life skills?

If it's the point of the thread, yes, maybe I have missed the point somewhat. I see no problem with people doing "easy" subjects, I did an easy subject last year.

Yeah...people shouldn't put down Food Tech. I see people putting down people doing subjects such as PE, Health, but they stop laughing when they see the marks they can get, even after scaling, because they have interest in the subject and thus are able to get higher marks.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
SmRandmAzn said:
People who complete their HSC without "this need for high marks driving them" will score low, seriously. I know it sounds negative but yeah, it's true..
Im saying that if these people don't feel they absolutley need to get high marks, the fact that they get low marks will not bother them.

Im not referring to myself.

fayeee

HSC
Lol, I do pdhpe, biology AND foodtech. ALL subjects that are scaled down -_-

just because it's scaled down, it doesn't mean it's impossible to get good or to get high in it.

Katieeee

HSC
fayeee said:
Lol, I do pdhpe, biology AND foodtech. ALL subjects that are scaled down -_-

just because it's scaled down, it doesn't mean it's impossible to get good or to get high in it.
I did exactly all the same subjects as you, and even though the three you mentioned are "low-scaling", I managed to get a UAI of 98.35 - point is that it doesn't matter what the subject is, if you enjoy it and go reasonably well in the subject then your UAI is not going to suffer too much.

So basically - yes, food tech doesn't scale as well as some other subjects and yes, it is a straight-forward fairly simple subject, but that doesn't mean it should be 'embarrassing' to admit you do it or give anyone the right to pay you out about it. At the end of the day, everyone has different aims in the HSC and what do they matter to anyone else?

fayeee

HSC
Katieeee said:
I did exactly all the same subjects as you, and even though the three you mentioned are "low-scaling", I managed to get a UAI of 98.35 - point is that it doesn't matter what the subject is, if you enjoy it and go reasonably well in the subject then your UAI is not going to suffer too much.

So basically - yes, food tech doesn't scale as well as some other subjects and yes, it is a straight-forward fairly simple subject, but that doesn't mean it should be 'embarrassing' to admit you do it or give anyone the right to pay you out about it. At the end of the day, everyone has different aims in the HSC and what do they matter to anyone else?

OMG! you TOTALLY just made my day <3

i used to desperately try and find someone who did the same subjects i did and get a UAI above 95. i really didn't think it was possible.. CONGRATS on the awesome result love!!

HAHA omgsh i feel so much more determined now <3

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i wasn't saying that it was impossible i was asking are others of food tech getting sick of being told this by people, but i'm glad everyone's imput has actually been really motivational to those who do worry. Food tech is great and i was sick of people putting it down from other schools in the area and was asking if anyone else is getting this situation.

BUT YEAH WE ARE ALL GOING AGAINST THE MAIN STREAM AND SAYING IT IS POSSIBLE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fayeee

HSC
dw marcquelle. i get that too.

tie for equal first in the state for Food Tech? ;]

we'll prove those people wrong ^^

Kaatie

HSC
yeah i did the subject for something different as besides eng and math i do chem and economics. well ill be competing with you two for that 1st position. :) bit of friendly competition lol. Many people bag out the subject but funnily enough they score alot lower than the people that did the subject.

Kaatie

HSC
oh and katieeee what textbooks did you use beside food tech in action

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
lol food tech
it's easy peasy guys
still shit and i'm still embarassed to tell people i did it, despite scoring quite well.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
sure why not all tie for equal first, share it three ways. I reackon food techs interesting cause its different to other subjects in regards you get to learn about how our meals, are produced, why they exist and how it will effect us etc. it basically looks at how one part of society works, from intial concept right through to the end.

What does everyone use, for the textbook we use food technology in action 2nd edition and 3rd edition ( i like 3rd cause i is colorful)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
housah0lic said:
wasn't oliver bad at school and FYI miss lawson didn't aspire to become a well known chef. and i think neil perry got kicked out of school at like 14. duno about the rest. fuck em.

USELESS

FUCKING

SUBJECT
i read ramsays bio eh

that guy slaved away in kitchens from 16. didnt make it big until 10 years ago

often worked 24 hour shifts.

low pay.

gay.

Kaatie

HSC
we have only got the 2nd edition at school but will be getting the third edition this year. Hopefully its not too different or i will have to redo everything. Do you have any additional material books/studyguides? oh and the third edition does it have study cards in it or something or are they separate? a three way tie sounds awesome :). We have to beat about 3000 other people, its totally possible. Oh and what was your company for the AFI study?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)