People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study? (2 Viewers)

lala2

Banned
HSC
For Maths...

I dunno if this is good for everyone, as they say, one man's meat is another's poison (something like that?) but for me, I rarely do homework. my teacher teaches us one concept a day (yes, we have 10 maths lessons out of a 12 day cycle) and I reinforce that by working really hard during the rest of the lesson, writing and rewriting all the formulae (through doing exercises) until it's all stuck in my head. So then, when exams come, I pick up the Phoenix books (the HSC 2 and 3U topics by topic--pink and green ones) and just practice a lot of questions until the formulae are brought back to the front of my head.

We also have topic tests which is really good, and I use them to measure where I am in the 3U candidature and what I can work on. So if you have any topic tests they are really useful for picking out little things that could lose you half marks here and there, so definitely resit them if you have solutions available.

I'm not in Year 12 officially yet (gonna be in Term 4 Year 11 soon) but I have never practised an entire exam: I simply went through some of the harder questions I circled in my textbook earlier in the year, resat my topic tests, and practice with the Phoenix books. (I didn't do quite as well as I expected to in my 2U exam but in the 3U exam I only lost one mark). So yeah...that's my tip for maths...

illin

Ill factor
HSC
Badaboom said:
I became a hermit for eight months, studied from 3.30pm to 9.00pm everyday, during my free periods, all throughout the holidays and right up until my last exam. Saying that, it was definately worth it!
u have no life what so ever? so to say this but ur a loser! What no friends, no goin out, no sport?? not doin these things is very unhealthy, i know some ppl say "well he did get 99.something but its not healthy. Yr12 is suppsed to be one of best years of ur life and u cant just waste it on full on study! there r ppl who do sport, have friends, go out to parties, etc and still do as well as this guy... it really annoys me that ppl just sit at home and study for 7, 8, 9 hours a day. It really shits me.
And some ppl would also say that i'm not goin to get whatever he got. Bullshit! Im one of the top at my school
doin 4u maths next year so u cant call me dumb. I agree that u will have to cut down on a lot of things but its just plain stupid to be a hermit and study all the time.

Edit: Sry for being so harsh, i was feeling angry at the time!!

Last edited:

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
Geez don't be so harsh! Everyone has different priorities and ways of doing things, so don't be so critical of other people just because they're really dedicated. Anyone who considers year 12 to be the best year of their life is pretty sad - and why should it annoy you that people choose to study heaps of hours. It's their choice, don't get so offended!

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
omg

i wrote this thread like 1.5 yrs ago and cant believe so many ppl visited it, kewlies = )

hehe, in general, if you get 80 for each subject in ur HSC marks, ur guaranteed to get 95% uai,
however, if u get 60 for all of em, you wont be scaled at all and end up with a uai of 50 prolly.
+, iv got a frnd u didnt do any of them hard ass subjects like 4 maths or 4 english, but still managed to get 92 uai

So try hard, and get in2 uni

Im now a uni student at UTS, gettin thru that hard ass subject called engineering
P.S. Dont' Touch it, u'll come to regret it later

Leon585

HSC
just root heaps of chicks, and make sure you get head daily. It helped me achieve 100+ in all my subs, with a UAI of 99.98. I am now doing med-riography at UNSW!!!! See you guys there next year if you follow my advice!

Leon585

HSC
Sarah168 said:
hahaha 100+ hahahahaha 99.98 hahahahaha.....
Yeah, I was quite pleased... wtf are you doing with unsw as ur avatar!?! You do med-riography??? pfft never seen you faker

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
For assessment marks i got 90+ in biology and chemistry. The best way to study for these is to write notes covering every dot point and then highlighting the crucial points. Then cram these notes in for at least a day before exams. Look at the syllabus and see if there are any that you cant remember well enough. It only really works if you understand your work and if you arent learning much stuff in the notes you make. you should have listenened well in class and this should just help it back to the front of your mind. This works for me. maybe not everyone

Currybabe29

Does anyone know about IPT? Does it get scaled up or down? I don't know if I should keep it or not...btw I got 76% for IPT in my prelims

*BUCKO*

I laughed

Leon585 said:
just root heaps of chicks, and make sure you get head daily. It helped me achieve 100+ in all my subs, with a UAI of 99.98. I am now doing med-riography at UNSW!!!! See you guys there next year if you follow my advice!

That cracks me up...you must go alright though

*BUCKO*

Currybabe29 said:
Does anyone know about IPT? Does it get scaled up or down? I don't know if I should keep it or not...btw I got 76% for IPT in my prelims
dunno...a stack of my mates do it and enjoy it and therefore go well in it...if u did well in year 11 then you are bound to go well in year 12! dont stress

*BUCKO*

97% assessment mark in foodtech

Have just been constantly reading over my summaries all year...went well in all my assignments and have been coming first all year...then just did a bit more revision for trials and what have you..... thought i did bad in every single test when i left the room but turns out on average i was gettin 90%....so im happy with that...i think though to do well you have to enjoy it!!!

J_A_S

Too right

illin said:
u have no life what so ever? so to say this but ur a loser! What no friends, no goin out, no sport?? not doin these things is very unhealthy, i know some ppl say "well he did get 99.something but its not healthy. Yr12 is suppsed to be one of best years of ur life and u cant just waste it on full on study! there r ppl who do sport, have friends, go out to parties, etc and still do as well as this guy... it really annoys me that ppl just sit at home and study for 7, 8, 9 hours a day. It really shits me.
And some ppl would also say that i'm not goin to get whatever he got. Bullshit! Im one of the top at my school
doin 4u maths next year so u cant call me dumb. I agree that u will have to cut down on a lot of things but its just plain stupid to be a hermit and study all the time.

Edit: Sry for being so harsh, i was feeling angry at the time!!

Look i am topping 3 of my subjects and i also got academic excellance in math and english. Now i had a bf( not anymore .. the prick) i go out with my friends, i have a job which i work on the weekends, and i still manage to find time to study. I used to study on top of school hours 25hours a week. This left me with the weekends free and everything. Who says you have to write notes to study. You can watch an educational video which is proven to help you remeber more. ( the OC is not educational). I now try and study 6-8 hours a day and for every 16 hours i study i get a day off so i can still have a life but go well in my hsc. I am aiming for a 95 so i can study law next year and am aiming to get the vice chancellors leadership scholarship at uws. So follow me my friends lol . I just think that you need that break you need to go out and have a bit of fun, live a little. Just think its not long now study hard but dont forget people look back and usually say the best years of their life was now. Do you wanna look back and go well i had no life shit.ANyway its whatever works for you i guess. Im not bagging anyone out im just saying i would burn out if i did what that guy did.

illin

Ill factor
HSC
J_A_S_2 said:
I just think that you need that break you need to go out and have a bit of fun, live a little. Just think its not long now study hard but dont forget people look back and usually say the best years of their life was now. Do you wanna look back and go well i had no life shit.ANyway its whatever works for you i guess. Im not bagging anyone out im just saying i would burn out if i did what that guy did.

I agree with many out there that it is not the time u put into study but the effectiveness of study and the effort u put in
And a lot of ppl tell me that there are ppl who do burn out and that is what many are afraid of (ie. study really hard and focus 99% on school work and towards the HSC exams they do not have a lot left in the tank)
People cant forget that this really is one of the BEST PARTS OF OUR LIVES so we should enjoy it and balance it out with study but not be a hermit for a year a study all the time cause u will have nothing after the HSC! and its true!

And congrats JAS2, topping most subjects, u'll get over 95 easy
At least there are some ppl like me who dont study all the frekin time! jeez!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)