People with higher IQ 'Less Likely to Believe in God' (1 Viewer)

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Eversor said:
Proven By Science!!! Religious People Are Stupid!!!
You are the Most stupid, idiotic, foolish, unintelligent, dimwitted, moronic, brainless person i have ever seen in my life.

Congratulations, Thats a huge accomplishment

born2pry

HSC
Argh. For a study like this to be remotely valid, 3 solid groups of individuals should be IQ tested -strong believers, partial believers and non believers. IQs should then be compared.

And of course the writers failed to distinguish between intelligence and education. Maybe another study should be completed to determine if there's a link between belief in God and level of education. And type of education too. Whilst the overall stats for uni-graduates wouldn't be too different to that of less educated people, those with science degrees would undoubtedly be more likely to be atheist.

But if you think about it logically.. It is the ability to critically analyse, to question accepted beliefs and to value truth above faith that makes people doubt the existence of God. And not coincidently, these traits also go hand in hand with progression.

The tone of the article was BS though. There is nothing to be achieved by downgrading the value of religion in a world that desperately needs it.

HSC
Jay-Dupree said:
I think the reason people with higher IQ's or higher education, or even the athletically inclined, are less likely to believe in God maybe because they place more faith(or trust, if you prefer) in their own knowledge and schooling and abilities.

However, I disagree that the willingness or unwillingness to believe in God is automatically linked to one's level of intelligence. There are learned and unlearned alike who believe in God, and there are learned and unlearned alike who don't. Education or none at all, it's generally easier for humans to acknowledge and/or believe their own abilities and intelligence than that of a higher being outside of ourselves. We can tangibly see and measure our own and each other's abilities and knowledge, not so much with an invisible God.

Though I'm a Christian and am thoroughly convinced of the teachings of the Bible, I can understand how someone who doesn't share my faith would consider me crazy or at the very least miseducated/brainwashed. The very concept of having faith in anything can at times requires one to think beyond the realm of logic and reason. Something some people just aren't inclined to do, whether they have a higher IQ or not.

But if you think about it, we all have faith in something or someone. A child can put all their faith in his/her parent(s), who can fail them at any time. For those who live on the East Coast, we have faith that there won't be any earthquakes, even though anything's possible, even if unlikely. When you go to work in a high-rise building, you have faith that the builders did their job and that the floor won't cave in under you, though it can very well happen. It's interesting when people describe faith as blind, yet we exercise faith everyday on things or people that could very well fail us.

Not trying to preach or anything, but just giving a different perspective. Eveybody believes in something. Consider that when people don't have faith in God, it's most likely because they have faith in something or someone else. Don't need a certain level of intelligence or skill to do that.
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

This thread really should have ended with this post.

It pretty much sums up everything you need to know and so much more.

Last edited:

tahlsy31191

HSC
This was obvious. People with higher IQ's of course were going to believe in the big bang theory and evolution etc. Theories with proof, not because a group of people got together and wrote a book!

HSC
Exphate said:
I know, and it shits me off. But, on that note, didn't you just do it too?

Didn't you just do that , too? take a look at post 201.

Tootin' your own horn there, champ.

bawd

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Einstein
Tesla
Two greats physisists in the history of the human race were deeply religious, and their religion inspired a lot of their work.

'nuf said, article's argument is invaid.
Have you read Richard Dawkin's The God Delusion? Einstein's reference to the word 'God' was very different from the religious (and most likely Christian) God that you have misinterpreted it to be. I'll type up the quote from it if I'm ever bothered. :)

miegoreng

HSC
bawd said:
Have you read Richard Dawkin's The God Delusion?
Dawkins is way too biased. He puts the worst of religion with the best of athiesm. Anyone could have done that. I know many believers who have read it, yet NONE have turned athiest. Readers only see what they want to see. The faithful will see holes in the argument. The nonbelievers would say its correct and leave it at that (it is right to a degree but doesnt show the whole truth).

TacoTerrorist

HSC
^ Agreed. For someone who prides himself on being so rational, Dawkins shows a lack of common sense in his book. The whole tone of it portrays him as some bitchy elitist whiner. The book only causes further divisions and tensions; it isn't going to change anyone's mind.

This was obvious. People with higher IQ's of course were going to believe in the big bang theory and evolution etc. Theories with proof, not because a group of people got together and wrote a book!
And this is why women shouldn't get the right to vote.

santacruzdude

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
We desperately need religion like we desperately need to be molested as young boys.

how to do it

arrhhh!!
seriously......one of my bands songs is called "population control" and its about religion

so yaaaa..........whenever someone asks me if im religios, i always say "no, i use logic"

HSC
Apey MatrixElf said:
lol XD not what i meant when i said that. but yes, my IQ IS 200+. i tend to not flaunt that, i was just making a point about IQ and religion.

i simply don't care about school, it's that simple.
Lol slut. Only like 3 people have ever had an IQ over 200 and you are not one of them.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
santacruzdude said:
seriously......one of my bands songs is called "population control" and its about religion

so yaaaa..........whenever someone asks me if im religios, i always say "no, i use logic"
"hay guise, lets start a punk rawk band and be all like anti-religion"
original mate.

HSC
santacruzdude said:

why dont you give us a myspace link as well? free publicity.

no really, talk up your band a bit.

come on, its not LAME or anything.

undalay

HSC
I'm not sure if anyone posted this before.
Just wanted to show something relating to einstein:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24598856/

"In the note, written the year before his death, Einstein dismissed the idea of God as the product of human weakness and the Bible as "pretty childish.""

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A
miegoreng said:
Dawkins is way too biased. He puts the worst of religion with the best of athiesm. Anyone could have done that. I know many believers who have read it, yet NONE have turned athiest. Readers only see what they want to see. The faithful will see holes in the argument. The nonbelievers would say its correct and leave it at that (it is right to a degree but doesnt show the whole truth).
Wow it's like everyone who ever tried to discuss this point. I still think Daniel Dennett is correct in that most people are atheists but value the social influence of the church and the structure.

undalay

HSC
Riet said:
Well no shit, he was jewish after all.
Well maybe if u clicked the link u would see how he though that the Jewish faith was no different from christianity.

The only reason he saw himself as jewish is because he had a jewish mindset, not because he believed what they did.

exexex

HSC
Um who the hell said Einstein was religious?

That's bullshit. He denounced religion as superstition. I remember reading about some American cardinal who actually insinuated that the world would be better off if the Nazis had killed Einstein because Einstein had called Christianity and Judaism 'primitive legends' and 'infantile superstition'.

Einstein was religious? rofl

The IQ trend can probably be explained by the probability that people with higher IQs usually are more ready to question conventional beliefs, and the fact is, if you actually apply critical thought to any religion, it falls down. While there may be a God out there, once one looks at the evidence, it becomes pretty clear that, so far, no human has got it anywhere near right.

Jehovah, Yahweh, Allah, Odin, Horus, Zeus and the Hindu Cow can suck reductive logic's hairy balls...

exexex

HSC
Theism is really quite idiotic. The notion that any entity, call it God if you will, that caused the existence of...well...existence itself, the notion that that entity would place any particular significance on one particular species of life, existing on one particular planet in a universe containing probably millions of other planets with life on them, is not only immensely improbable, but also quite arrogant.
Theism is primitive, and now, in a world that is now aware of the quantum nature and extent of the universe, is only believed by those too self-centered to accept just how insignificant, in a non-subjective context, our existence is, no matter how phenomenal. It's like the old geocentric model of the universe. There was nothing empirical behind the geocentric model. It was simply a product of the arrogant line of thought that there just could be no way the universe didn't revolve around earth and humanity, that the universe didn't revolve around our lives.

E

Empyrean444

I agree - by logic it is likely that God(s) are non existent. However, there are benefits in having religion, and belief in God is in fact helpful to many (despite being a form of blindness): as Voltaire points out:"if God didn't esist it would be necessary to invent him".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)