People with higher IQ 'Less Likely to Believe in God' (1 Viewer)

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
don't we base all our decisions on probability? :D
those based on ideas, perhaps.
those based on belief... not so much - because all the options are quite low in probability. therefore, it is what resonates with the individual that informs their decision.

HSC
scaredytiger said:
those based on ideas, perhaps.
those based on belief... not so much - because all the options are quite low in probability. therefore, it is what resonates with the individual that informs their decision.
Every decision is based on belief. Are you saying that the probability of gravity existing is as low as it not existing?

HSC
veloc1ty said:
Every decision is based on belief. Are you saying that the probability of gravity existing is as low as it not existing?
thats part of an accepted paradigm - within that paradigm, it is assumed these things exist as they are mutually felt, seen, heard, smelt and tasted.

when i referred to beliefs, i meant the ways in which an individual will try to define their existence and how it relates to everything else - religion, spirituality, atheism.

HSC
Exphate said:
Lol.

Should I go to uni today or not.

Hmm, no, because God said so. Not because i'm fuckin' sick hey.
I don't mean religious belief. In your example, you chose not to go to uni because you believed you were sick.

HSC
scaredytiger said:
thats part of an accepted paradigm - within that paradigm, it is assumed these things exist as they are mutually felt, seen, heard, smelt and tasted.

when i referred to beliefs, i meant the ways in which an individual will try to define their existence and how it relates to everything else - religion, spirituality, atheism.
I'm not quite sure what you mean; we are part of this 'paradigm', how can you define your existence as if outside of it?

HSC
well...

paradigm: a model of a reality from a specific collective awareness' viewpoint, including all root assumption parameters which define that reality
physical reality and our assumptions of how it works, that is a paradigm.

how we define the purpose of its existence, and our own, that is religion, spirituality or atheism.

understand?

HSC
scaredytiger said:
well...

physical reality and our assumptions of how it works, that is a paradigm.

how we define the purpose of its existence, and our own, that is religion, spirituality or atheism.

understand?
I know what a paradigm is, but that doesn't answer my question.

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
themadness said:
Would you care to expound on the evils of post modernism, and why it conflicts with the Christian world view?
'
Personally, I don't have an issue with post modernism. Also my views on apologetics are neither relevant or particularly flattering.
Well, I have no idea why it has anything against Christianity, and I'm not an expert on the subject. From what I have heard, it can mean people interpreting a text different to each person and it doesn't matter what the composer thought. Its the part where you can just disregard the composer of the text is what I mainly don't like about it

HSC
veloc1ty said:
I know what a paradigm is, but that doesn't answer my question.
*sigh*

because you are a conscious being, capable of supposing the existence of things which have no hard physical evidence for them. or at least im assuming so.

HSC
scaredytiger said:
*sigh*

because you are a conscious being, capable of supposing the existence of things which have no hard physical evidence for them. or at least im assuming so.
You were saying options based on belief are all low in probability because they are all outside what you term the 'accepted paradigm'. You also said beliefs are 'the ways in which an individual will try to define their existence and how it relates to everything else'. I ask, if we don't need to look outside the 'accepted paradigm' to define our existence, wouldn't the probability of that option be greater than something we are simply 'supposing'?

HSC
veloc1ty said:
You were saying options based on belief are all low in probability because they are all outside what you term the 'accepted paradigm'. You also said beliefs are 'the ways in which an individual will try to define their existence and how it relates to everything else'. I ask, if we don't need to look outside the 'accepted paradigm' to define our existence, wouldn't the probability of that option be greater than something we are simply 'supposing'?
youre saying that you think the probability(not plausibility) of conscious, <strike>intelligent</strike> organic organisms being formed from inorganic matter is higher than the probability of it being a controlled process?

HSC
veloc1ty said:
Depends on your definition of 'controlled process'. If you mean god, then yes I think the probability of life forming without a god is greater than it having being directed by a god, primarily because the second cause requires a god to exist.
not directed by a god necessarily.

having a consciousness behind it.

quite different things.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
if there's a consciousness is it responsible for the development of smallpox?

ffs of course there isn't a consciousness behind the development of life, we threw that idea out 150 years ago, we don't need it

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
ronnknee said:
You must know that in their time, the world they knew must have been very small so they wouldve thought it must have been created by a God, which only shows their ignorance.
Fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)