People with higher IQ 'Less Likely to Believe in God' (1 Viewer)

thejaz

HSC
Can't be bothered going and getting the quotes but..

The atheists in here are doing a fine job. Keep it up. Most of this thread is pretty hilarious reading. Especially the starcraft dude who seems to think that anything remotely contraditing religious doctrine is baseless and just 'an attack on religion'.

I've also noticed a lot of people getting mixed up between atheism and agnosticism. Most atheists don't suffer the intelligence defect that creationists do in thinking "THERE CAN NOT BE A GOD IT IS IMPOSSIBLE AND I WILL NEVER EVER BELIEVE IN GOD NO MATTER HOW MUCH EVIDENCE THERE IS". Most theists on the other hand, tend to adopt this paradigm of thought in the belief of God's existence.

Atheists merely acknowledge that there is no evidence to support the existence of God. Atheists merely acknowledge that it is mich wiser for us to explore how the world came about ourselves rather than believing in a magical fairytale. It is this quality of the mind that correlates with IQ. Education, logic and questioning of ideas. It is impossible to reconcile logic with faith. I know many intelligent religious people, but they are forced to lead dual lives and turn off parts of their brain when talking about religion.

Enough rant. The results of this study are intuitive and old news. Smart people don't believe in fairytales. Smart people trust logical processes and empirical evidence.

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
thejaz said:
"THERE CAN NOT BE A GOD IT IS IMPOSSIBLE AND I WILL NEVER EVER BELIEVE IN GOD NO MATTER HOW MUCH EVIDENCE THERE IS". Most theists on the other hand, tend to adopt this paradigm of thought in the belief of God's existence.

Atheists merely acknowledge that there is no evidence to support the existence of God.
Most theists are open to evidence against God. Atheists I know do not "merely acknowledge" no evidence about God. They just go on a long rant about why God does not exist (just like Dawkin's book). They do NOT just say there is no evidence for God. They think they are so smart with their high IQs.

Many people with high IQs believe in God, without living dual lives so doesn't that mean it doesn't have to be illogical to believe in God?

themadness

HSC
Apey MatrixElf said:
Einstein was a pantheist, yes, but NOT a deist. Jews and Christians condemned his theorem because he was not one of their own! (The misguided accepted his use of the word "God" to mean that of the sky-god/Abrahamic religions).

And Einstein also believed that a personal God was a naive concept. I was overjoyed at reading this, because it's exactly what I'd been telling my scripture teacher for years... :p
I stand corrected. I was slightly uncertain how to categorise his beliefs.

It really annoys me when people deliberately misconstrue what Einstein has previously said with the intention of making it seem he believed in a personal God. Quotes like, "God doesn't play with dice" come to mind. Einstein seems to be a particularly popular target for such treatment. It seems that if they could somehow 'prove' that Einstein believed in God, it would make their beliefs all the more credible. The old, "If he believed in God, who do you think you are for not believing in God?" ruse.

I'm sure you scripture teacher really appreciated you telling them that. I don't have any particular problem with people believing in whatever they want to - as long as they don't force it on me, or try to peddle their morals as 'absolute morals'.

Last edited:

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
themadness said:
It seems that if they could somehow 'prove' that Einstein believed in God, it would make their beliefs all the more credible. The old, "If he believed in God, who do you think you are for not believing in God?" ruse.
Nonono, don't you see the point. If a person with high intelligence believes in God, then can say its credible to believe in God because an intelligent person believes.

And theyre not saying "Who do you think you are for not believing in God?", theyre just saying its plausible to believe in God partly because that smart person believed.

HSC
ronnknee said:
Nonono, don't you see the point. If a person with high intelligence believes in God, then can say its credible to believe in God because an intelligent person believes.

And theyre not saying "Who do you think you are for not believing in God?", theyre just saying its plausible to believe in God partly because that smart person believed.
It's called an appeal to authority - i.e. ridiculous argument, please stop thinking it holds any weight.

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
veloc1ty said:
It's called an appeal to authority - i.e. ridiculous argument, please stop thinking it holds any weight.
Its not really an arguement if you actually understand. Huuu, lemme explain from the beginning of what I meant then. If an athiest says you can't believe in religion because high IQ people mostly don't believe in God, I can say that hey person X whos really smart believes in God.

In other words, an arguement saying that not to believe in God because high IQ mostly dont believe in God, is invalid because these certain respected people believe in God. Your so called "appeal to authority" is only being used by me because the athiests are using it in the first place.

So please stop making ridiculous arguments and stop thinking it holds any weight:lol:

HSC
ronnknee said:
Its not really an arguement if you actually understand. Huuu, lemme explain from the beginning of what I meant then. If an athiest says you can't believe in religion because high IQ people mostly don't believe in God, I can say that hey person X whos really smart believes in God.

In other words, an arguement saying that not to believe in God because high IQ mostly dont believe in God, is invalid because these certain respected people believe in God. Your so called "appeal to authority" is only being used by me because the athiests are using it in the first place.

So please stop making ridiculous arguments and stop thinking it holds any weight:lol:
Any atheist who says "you can't believe in religion because high IQ people mostly don't believe in God" is using a fallacious argument I agree, you should put that out instead of using an argument just as bad in rebuttle. And your last sentence doesn't make any sense, I wasn't arguing you.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
i have a solution guys.

it's ditch all other religions and establish Kentology.
the belief in me! bahaahah

i think it's a good idea =]

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
veloc1ty said:
Any atheist who says "you can't believe in religion because high IQ people mostly don't believe in God" is using a fallacious argument I agree, you should put that out instead of using an argument just as bad in rebuttle.
I totally agree that we should not use that argument but I only used the reverse of it in this argument because the "athiest" argument existed in the first place and to show that because my arguement is invalid, the other has to be too!
And sorry for that last sentence, I wasn't focused when I wrote that :jedi:

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
politik said:
It's like, dedicating your life to rigorous discovery and learning, of bullshit.

"Hi, I have a BTheology"

"YOU HAVE A DEGREE IN BALONY"
Oh I quite agree its balony. Btw, but wats a theology? Sry I'm to dumb to no but of course it must be balony for ressons I will not giv.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Theology is the study of religion. I generally have no respect for people who tell me they study this at uni, as though that implies they are knowledgeable or useful.

HSC
Slidey said:
Theology is the study of religion. I generally have no respect for people who tell me they study this at uni, as though that implies they are knowledgeable or useful.
philosophy and theology dont really have job prospects. unless you wish to write a book, and create a religion based on it. i heard thats worked out well in the past.

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
Exphate said:
the rational and systematic study of religion and its influences and of the nature of religious truth

How rational and religion go together, i will never know.
Rationality and religion go hand-in-hand just by definition! What more proof is needed?

HSC
Ah, the Bible-

because all the works of science can never equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought that every animal in the world was within walking distance of Noah's house.

My 14yo sister got that as an answer today when asking if I believe in science or the Bible. I looked at her as if she was stupid [she is], and she just went, "oh". I have made a point for years in saying that religion has no place in my room. So it was a really dumb question...

Last edited:
HSC
themadness: people can think what they like - i was just asked what my opinion was, and gave it, that's all...

ronnkee: you are such a dwop, do us a favour and shut up. PLEASE.
in that sense, nobody is a "believer" either. i was just adding some philosophical overtones.

god can kiss my 200+ IQ-butt goodbye! lol

i'm an agnostic-atheist; basically, there COULD be a god, but the chances are so close to impossible that i simply assume there isn't one.

besides - as for "attacks on religion": political views, scientific views, moral views, artistic views (etc) are debatable - religion should be nothing less.

thejaz: agreed! religious intellects like to avoid those parts where religion and logic don't mix. it bugs me. *sigh*

EHEHEHEHE!! i was considering doing a theology uni degree so i could use religious bullshit as certified ammo, instead of relying upon home study... :p

Take it from Karl Marx: "The abolition of religion.. is a demand for... real happiness." Ohhhhh yeah.

HSC
Apey MatrixElf said:
themadness: people can think what they like - i was just asked what my opinion was, and gave it, that's all...

ronnkee: you are such a dwop, do us a favour and shut up. PLEASE.
in that sense, nobody is a "believer" either. i was just adding some philosophical overtones.

god can kiss my 200+ IQ-butt goodbye! lol

i'm an agnostic-atheist; basically, there COULD be a god, but the chances are so close to impossible that i simply assume there isn't one.

besides - as for "attacks on religion": political views, scientific views, moral views, artistic views (etc) are debatable - religion should be nothing less.

thejaz: agreed! religious intellects like to avoid those parts where religion and logic don't mix. it bugs me. *sigh*

EHEHEHEHE!! i was considering doing a theology uni degree so i could use religious bullshit as certified ammo, instead of relying upon home study... :p

Take it from Karl Marx: "The abolition of religion.. is a demand for... real happiness." Ohhhhh yeah.
You have a 200+ iq? Are you autistic or something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)