People with higher IQ 'Less Likely to Believe in God' (1 Viewer)

Trajan

HSC
Jay-Dupree said:
I think the reason people with higher IQ's or higher education, or even the athletically inclined, are less likely to believe in God maybe because they place more faith(or trust, if you prefer) in their own knowledge and schooling and abilities.

However, I disagree that the willingness or unwillingness to believe in God is automatically linked to one's level of intelligence. There are learned and unlearned alike who believe in God, and there are learned and unlearned alike who don't. Education or no, it's generally easier for humans to acknowledge and/or believe their own abilities and intelligence than that of a higher being outside of ourselves. We can tangibly see and measure our own and each other's abilities and knowledge, not so much with an invisible God.

Though I'm a Christian and am thoroughly convinced of the teachings of the Bible, I can understand how someone who doesn't share my faith would consider me crazy or at the very least miseducated/brainwashed. The very concept of having faith in anything can at times requires one to think beyond the realm of logic and reason. Something some people just aren't inclined to do, whether they have a higher IQ or not.

But if you think about it, we all have faith in something or someone. A child can put all their faith in his/her parent(s), who can fail them at any time. For those who live on the East Coast, we have faith that there won't be any earthquakes, even though anything's possible, even if unlikely. When you go to work in a high-rise building, you have faith that the builders did their job and that the floor won't cave in under you, though it can very well happen. It's interesting when people describe faith as blind, yet we exercise faith everyday on things or people that could very well fail us.

Not trying to preach or anything, but just giving a different perspective. Eveybody believes in something. Consider that when people don't have faith in God, it's most likely because they have faith in something or someone else. Don't need a certain level of intelligence or skill to do that.
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
Great post and great thread, mate.

Props to you , man. :)

HSC
Trajan said:
Great post and great thread, mate.

Props to you , man. :)
yeah. a bit pretentious. quoting your troll and all.

edit: also i would like to clarify that my points were based on the view that the results showed that people tended to be agnostic. the absence of "belief in God" does not require atheism. :)

Last edited:

Trajan

HSC
scaredytiger said:
yeah. a bit pretentious. quoting your troll and all.

lol...he's not my troll.

I would never have been able to come up with what Jay-Dupree has.

HSC
Slidey said:
Einstein didn't believe in a God. He believed in the beauty of the universe; he was fully agnostic.

Don't confuse his spirituality with religious conviction, you crusading fool.
Clearly your definition and understanding of what religion is, is different from mine. (But I'm not saying either of ours' are correct).

Slidey said:
Are you going to even bother reading, you crazy fundamentalist?
Absolutely not.
I can't even imagine how such a poll would be conducted in an accurate manner, nor how it's results could possibly represent anything.

Regardless, having read the article, looks like others have rebutted this study quite nicely, especially this;

it failed to take account of a complex range of social, economic and historical factors.
Brilliant, perfect and precise summary as to why this study is a load of garbage.

Well, I can see that there's little reason in debating the issue further.

HSC
Trajan said:
lol...he's not my troll.

I would never have been able to come up with what Jay-Dupree has.
lol. and yet hes italian, and retorts like you.
and you said he was your troll in continuation a while back.

Trajan

HSC
scaredytiger said:
lol. and yet hes italian, and retorts like you.
and you said he was your troll in continuation a while back.
lol
I can't help it if certain posters want to claim to be my troll.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
The Irish will fuck you all up.

Trajan

HSC
scaredytiger said:
um no. you claim he is your troll.

I can't help it if certain posters want to post- edit my quotes.

scaredytiger said:
I absolutely adore Trajan, but he is above me, and I can only admire from afar.

Last edited:

Trajan

HSC
Exphate said:
Irish decent :(

Do I still get a point!?

lol..

You know I didn't mean what I said about the Irish.

It was just to annoy scaredytiger cos her mum is Irish.

The Celtics are my fav team...Gooo Boston!!( NBA)

Trajan

HSC
Exphate said:
You do realise the Celts weren't just from modern day Ireland right?
I am well aware of the origins of the Celts.

HSC
"Are you going to even bother reading, you crazy fundamentalist?"

Starcraft blokes' reply:

"Absolutely not.
I can't even imagine how such a poll would be conducted in an accurate manner, nor how it's results could possibly represent anything."

If you think that this poll is a warped sense of reality... then you must HATE Christianity, or any of the Abrahamic religions!:)

Now back to the point... I think that generally a person would be guided towards or away from religious belief depending on how they are raised... a total genius can still be mentally strait-jacketed by being raised to believe in God without question, and then go on to carry the same dogmatic view throughout their life through no doing of their own.

I think atheism in most its forms (apart from simply rebelling against the norm or as a result of having a 'bad experience' with religion) is a great display of independant thought, and while it's always good to keep an open mind about everything, there is seriously no reason why the belief in God should be seen as the 'default'... it's just another idea which deserves no more credit than any other idea.

The difference is that religion quite often (if not usually) contradicts and undermines scientific research and discoveries, and tends to suppress people (a study in America showed that only 49% of the country would vote for an atheistic presidential candidate even if they were otherwise a 'perfect' candidate, so basically, if any political leader expresses disbelief in religion, they can NOT win the presidency).

I consider myself an 85-90% atheist... and proud of it :)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Who was the idiot that put my name on news.com.au reader's comment section?

How could this even be true? I don't believe in god, and my I.Q is very low (in the 30's) so there's no point with agreeing the article.

Posted by: chicky_pie of Eastern Suburbs 9:05pm today
Comment 15 of 31

http://www.news.com.au/comments/0,23600,23859947-2,00.html
:( I feel molested

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)