Peter Grarret - morally compromised? (1 Viewer)

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Yeah, it's a major news item right now with the current government being attacked from all sides of the political spectrum (Greens, Libs, and fringe groups) for its actions regarding a major political issue (nuclear energy and uranium mining).

And on top of that, it's an interesting thread about political power and compromise.

It's just such an arbitrary move, especially since the mod could clearly see the thread was both serious and going somewhere by the time they moved it.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Yeah, it's a major news item right now with the current government being attacked from all sides of the political spectrum (Greens, Libs, and fringe groups) for its actions regarding a major political issue (nuclear energy and uranium mining).

And on top of that, it's an interesting thread about political power and compromise.

It's just such an arbitrary move, especially since the mod could clearly see the thread was both serious and going somewhere by the time they moved it.
Sometimes the case for moderator transparency and the abolition of L&OB writes itself....

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I cannot even comment on this objectively because I think he is possibly the biggest wanker on the face of the planet. And he dances like a spastic on crack. Yeah, I really want him in charge of the environment :confused:

Lentern

HSC
I cannot even comment on this objectively because I think he is possibly the biggest wanker on the face of the planet. And he dances like a spastic on crack. Yeah, I really want him in charge of the environment :confused:
You never struck me as the kind who would mind if the environment was missmanaged.

On topic I think he made compromises with genuine intent on achieving stuff, so far it has not happened and is looking unlikely to happen. Eventually he will say fuck it, probably this election or the subsequent one and leave the ALP a bitter man, perhaps he'll run as an independant, perhas he'll reunite with Brown, perhaps he'll just lobby but i thin he is by no means happy about being bullied around by cabinet all the time.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Even the most hardcore hippies will start changing their views when they get hungry.

Seriously, all the "green initiatives" bs flies out the window when real solutions are needed to sustain the economy.

Mine the uranium, sell, make profit.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Even the most hardcore hippies will start changing their views when they get hungry.

Seriously, all the "green initiatives" bs flies out the window when real solutions are needed to sustain the economy.

Mine the uranium, sell, make profit.
Um, you're a tool. Australia doesn't have economic problems you moron, and it doesn't need uranium mining to keep the economy going (and uranium mining certainly hasn't been the backbone of Australia's economy in the past).

There are plenty of countries around the world that exist almost entirely on trading things like services and manufacturing (e.g. Germany, Japan, Iceland, Ireland, Israel), or on the other end of the scale, agriculture. Australia doesn't need mining to keep it going - it's just the easiest (and dirtiest) way available, so people often opt for it.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
You never struck me as the kind who would mind if the environment was missmanaged.

On topic I think he made compromises with genuine intent on achieving stuff, so far it has not happened and is looking unlikely to happen. Eventually he will say fuck it, probably this election or the subsequent one and leave the ALP a bitter man, perhaps he'll run as an independant, perhas he'll reunite with Brown, perhaps he'll just lobby but i thin he is by no means happy about being bullied around by cabinet all the time.
God, can you stop being a muppet for 5 minutes?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Annabel Crabb in smh said:
How many of us would sacrifice the easy delights of widespread adulation, the companionship that comes with associating exclusively with people who agree with you, and the luxury of speaking from the moral high ground?

How many of us would trade that for the grub and muck of actual change, the hard and often dispiriting slog of working within the system?

Politics is awful, a lot of the time.

It's full of debilitating compromise and settlements that are a pale shadow of what you'd really like to do.

His announcement this week that he had approved Australia's fourth uranium mine is probably the most devastating punch that Pete Garrett, Environment Minister, has yet landed on Pete Garrett, rockstar activist.

The mine would have gone ahead whomever was environment minister — Labor's three-mine policy was revoked in 2007 by the party's national conference, over the vocal objections of Garrett, then shadow minister for the environment.

Garrett could have resigned, when the will of Cabinet inevitably endorsed the conference's decision.

People have resigned for much, much less. And resignation would have been the signal that Garrett has finally had enough; that he couldn't bear any further insult to Rockstar Pete.

But he didn't resign, which tells us that the Environment Minister still thinks he is more use in there beavering away at the conditions on approval for a fourth uranium mine than he is protesting outside the proposed site, whatever the unattractive personal ramifications for his own already battered image.

It's not very glamorous, but it is a rather spectacular variation on conviction politics.

Annabel Crabb | Peter Garrett

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Rudd is starting to realise only now that we really do need Nuclear energy. Around 3 years too late Ruddkip.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Yep sorry, this thread got caught in a mass thread move I needed to do. My bad! How's that for moderator transparency?

<3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)