Physics internal scaled down... (1 Viewer)

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Hey everyone,
I need some peace of mind lol.
What would be the possible reasons for an internal assessment mark of 98 in physics being scaled down to a 92? I know that students aren't meant to know, but our teacher showed us our totals after every assessment (don't ask me why).
And I know that normally this could happen if the assessments were considered easy, but that confuses me too, just because all the assessments had a very broad range of marks e.g. for the trial, I got 95% and the lowest was 11% :S Plus, I was the only person above 90%.
Personally, I think it's because of the school I go to. Ranked 190th last year. Public. Co-ed. Then again, I am just guessing. Maybe also because it was a small class. 16 people I think.

It just seems a little too convenient that my exam mark and assessment mark came out as a 92...

Any ideas?

P.S. I think the moral of the story is ignorance is bliss! XD

Thecorey0

HSC
If you are ranked first, your exam mark = assesment mark. The actual numbers themself the teachers send in have no bearing on your HSC, only the ranks and the relative gaps between them.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
If you are ranked first, your exam mark = assesment mark. The actual numbers themself the teachers send in have no bearing on your HSC, only the ranks and the relative gaps between them.
Oh really? I was ranked first lol. That makes sense...
Although, the 'relative gaps' were quite far apart... Guh, this is so confusing.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Its not your school, but the quality of the candidature in the particular subject. Im assuming you came first for physics. You did well internally, but probably did really badly in the external exam, so your internal mark got scaled down heaps. No hard feelings.

Lachycharts

Don't afraid of anything!
HSC
In slightly more detail, your HSC Assessment mark is determined by the HSC Exam Mark of the person whose Exam Rank was the same as your Internal Assessment Rank. If you are first in your class and first in the exam, then both of your marks will be the same as you can conclude with what I have just described.

I remember last year when I did my first half of my HSC, I failed my physics trial and thought I was going to go terrible but then I got an 88 in the exam which enabled me to get an 81 HSC Mark due to my assessment mark being the exam mark of the student who went alright.

Thecorey0

HSC
Oh really? I was ranked first lol. That makes sense...
Although, the 'relative gaps' were quite far apart... Guh, this is so confusing.
If you are first, it is quite simple. The gaps mean nothing. Everyone else means nothing. The quality of the cohort means nothing. If you come first, the top exam mark becomes your assesment mark.

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
If you are first, it is quite simple. The gaps mean nothing. Everyone else means nothing. The quality of the cohort means nothing. If you come first, the top exam mark becomes your assesment mark.
In that case sinophile is wrong??

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
In slightly more detail, your HSC Assessment mark is determined by the HSC Exam Mark of the person whose Exam Rank was the same as your Internal Assessment Rank. If you are first in your class and first in the exam, then both of your marks will be the same as you can conclude with what I have just described.
Not quite. Generally speaking, the highest assessment mark is equal to highest exam mark, and vice versa for the lowest assessment mark. All marks in between first and last are worked out so as to ensure the average assessment mark is equal to the average exam mark. Or something like that, it's fairly complex.

In other systems, they sometimes use different methods of moderation, e.g. in the ACT and Tasmania, they get every teacher in the state to meet up and compare assessments, which is obviously impractical in NSW.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Its not your school, but the quality of the candidature in the particular subject. Im assuming you came first for physics. You did well internally, but probably did really badly in the external exam, so your internal mark got scaled down heaps. No hard feelings.
Yeah, that's definitely possible. I was really confident though, and I loved the exam :/ I just need to rationalise everything haha.

That helps heaps, thanks. Without sounding too up myself, I reckon I would have got the highest external exam mark, and that definitely explains why they're the same. Thanks =]

I reckon sinophile is right. I just didn't do as well as I would have liked in the external haha.

=]

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Lol, you post a reply, and then three more responses come up!

I think it is as simple as what Thecorey0 is saying. It makes sense why my internal/external HSC marks were exactly the same in MX1, MX2 and Music too.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
if you are first, it is quite simple. The gaps mean nothing. Everyone else means nothing. The quality of the cohort means nothing. If you come first, the top exam mark becomes your assesment mark.
+1

Eddykungfu

HSC
I was told that Schools are only required to send in Rank in course. The actual HSC examination determines how everyone goes Assessment wise.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
lol.

I just thought 92 was great mark not shit.
Lol, don't get me wrong, I am very happy with that mark... Really, what should have happened, my teacher should have kept all internal marks secret so I wouldn't be having these questions now XD Oh well, I am glad everyone here cleared things up for me =]

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It's just as ajdlinux said.

And no it has nothing to do with the size of your candidature - my class only had 8 students but our originial internal assessment mark was raised because we all performed better in the actual HSC exam :)

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
It's just as ajdlinux said.

And no it has nothing to do with the size of your candidature - my class only had 8 students but our originial internal assessment mark was raised because we all performed better in the actual HSC exam :)
Thanks Anna =]
And congratz on the phenomenal ATAR!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Lol, don't get me wrong, I am very happy with that mark... Really, what should have happened, my teacher should have kept all internal marks secret so I wouldn't be having these questions now XD Oh well, I am glad everyone here cleared things up for me =]
Are you suggesting that your shouldn't be getting individual task marks or just not getting the final total mark sent in?

My school doesn't give students the final mark at all but they can work it out as they have the necessary information anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)