• I used to play but I don't anymore

Votes: 81 28.0%
  • No, but I wish I could

Votes: 56 19.4%

• Total voters

timw7845

Somewhere near the mountains... somewhere near the
HSC
I was forced into playing the Piano and Violin bribed by the fact I'll get Happy Meals after each lesson. =(

But its a good thing my rents forced me into it, because I now realise my talents and I have stuff I could do when I'm bored to the bones. =]
happymeal?

lol id want more than that for a bribe... regardless of whether i was 7 or 17

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Ahaha but come on! Anyways we Americans (raised there) love our Happy Meals as five year olds.

Reactions: x1

kyokaku92

HSC
Lol @ people's parents forcing them to learn.
I've been playing for 10+ years and I've already got my AmusA :devil:
I love to play anything except baroque (I fricken hate Bach) :spin:

Shaybay92

HSC
I wasn't forced into playing. I've always loved the piano..... it produces such a beautiful sound.... its like a whole new world (aladdin reference rofl) can be accessed by the single stroke of a key. It allows me to relax and think.

I got a digital keyboard for christmas a few years ago and started teaching myself. I then decided I wanted lessons so I did them for a few years. I saved up and bought a Yamaha Clavinova digital piano. I am not currently doing piano lessons but I reached approx level 5 piano (didnt sit any examinations). Now I just play whenever I want to but I will be moving out of home and I can't take the piano with me so I wont be playing for a while :(

HSC
In some ways I love the piano, in others, I don't. I finished 8th grade piano when I was 14, but shortly after my hands clunked out with a pretty awful bout of RSI :/ couldn't even write for about 4 months, and after that, only painfully.

The interesting thing is, as soon as I stopped playing piano, I started learning -music-. Playing piano was actually giving me too narrow a focus on the technicalities of the instrument and I guess I was doing nothing to actually try to "understand" classical music outside the mechanics of piano music. Over the next few years I composed and read textbooks on harmony and suchlike, and actually became much more of a mature musician in that time than I'd ever been, and now I absolutely love classical to death, whereas before I was bored and bewildered by it.

In the last few months I've been able to play again, which means I can apply all I've learnt post-RSI to the piano, giving me a more musically-minded approach. So on one hand, learning an instrument can make you forget about what music actually is (NOT a bunch of rote-learnt technical exercises), but if you make yourself read and read and read about harmony and all the other theory, you will absolutely adore the instrument. Works for me :)

musing

HSC
I wish I can play the piano but I don't know where to start.

Tips? :D

yz125

HSC
I played piano for two years; starting when i was six years old. I hated it at the time. My parents said to me you'll regret quitting lessons when your older....

They were so right..

Fri3d_ChuckuN-

HSC
I've played the piano since yr 7. I don't play grades, mainly because it'll eat into my uni course(s) I mainly play pieces by the following composers: JS Bach, Rachmaninoff, Mozart, Chopin, and Beethoven. My main goal is to play the Rach 3 later in life

Fri3d_ChuckuN-

HSC
ohk.
to me a moderately hard classical song would be Chopin's waltz in C sharp minor
Its much harder than fur elise but its one of Chopin's easier waltzes xD

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
I've played the piano since yr 7. I don't play grades, mainly because it'll eat into my uni course(s) I mainly play pieces by the following composers: JS Bach, Rachmaninoff, Mozart, Chopin, and Beethoven. My main goal is to play the Rach 3 later in life
good luck achieving that without a proper pedagogue

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I played piano for two years; starting when i was six years old. I hated it at the time. My parents said to me you'll regret quitting lessons when your older....

They were so right..
ahahah I fucking know right.

We even have a piano but I hated learning it when I was young.
I learnt clarinet instead and was highly proficient but yeah, wish I could play piano

octopie

HSC
I started in Year 6, my parents aren't very typical asian and I took it up cause I wanted to. They'd never even heard of exams so luckily I wasn't pressured into doing anything like that xD Because I was just learning for leisure, my teacher didn't focus that much on technique with me. In the space of a few months I went up to third grade level... after that I only improved slowly, I got more lazy, etc. Eventually I quit =/ I just wish my fingers had the early training they needed, because now I sound terrible >.<

And I'm more of a modern person too. Some classical pieces are really nice but I like minimalist styles =)

Pentapus

HSC
I decided to start at the end of year 6 which was a bit late>< I'm still playing it now but i'm finding it hard to find time to practice D:

ReNG

HSC
I never learnt the piano from an actual teacher or anything. I'm self-taught. =) I usually play by ear because its easier for me, but give me notes and it will take me months to learn a piece. I don't touch classical unless it sounds really nice like canon or ave maria. Nowadays, i can't be bothered learning new pieces so right now i make up my own songs, but i use my memory to remember them all because i can't notate music either.

Phylo

ballin
HSC
played when i was young, but lost interest because i started playing guitar/drums

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Learnt it when I was in kindergarten, don't know why I gave it up and really wish I didn't.

Stevemotto

HSC
I was half forced into it lol. Still playing though...... Currently doing Amus exam. I have a question. Does anyone know that you get extra 4 marks in the HSC if you complete Amus and 5marks for Lmus. If so do you have to pass the exam in year 11 or 12 or any year.

thnks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)