• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Please help me pick out a uni course :) (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
I have my own criteria (in order) for this:

The course must be 3 years MAX in duration (so that you can get into MBBS sooner)
The course SHOULD be (but does not necessarily have to be) something related to ARTS (prep for sections 1 and 2 of GAMSAT..... you can self-study the sciences.... in less than 6 months)
The uni SHOULD be NEAR (less travelling time...... the saved time can be spent on social life..... gamsat prep....etc)
Job prospects (I sort of neglected this while I wrote B Sound and Music Design @ UTS as #1 on my UAC form for the Principals Recommendation Scheme)

EDIT: That criteria assumes ur taking the GAMSAT path
I am choosing a course on the basis that I don't ever do medicine and pick a different career. I will definitely be redoing UMAT next year and trying to get into undergrad. I've thought about GAMSAT but my life is also a consideration, I view these coming years (18-25) as the best of my life and don't want to spend it hoping to get into medicine with absolutely no guarantees or fall back options. I can envisage myself being content even if I never become a doctor but am doing something else that I truly enjoy and would rather pursue that pathway than risk studying for 4-5 years and ending up with nothing.

D94

HSC
N/A
If I choose engineering then what should I avoid in terms of job prospects?
Aerospace/aeronautical. Anything which locks you into a specific field. If you wanted to work on the aero field, then do Mechanical, as it allows you into a broad field of jobs. Also, Mechatronics is a bit too new for employers to know what it actually is; being one of the newest branches, many large companies have long term Mechanical and Electrical engineers which they have set jobs for them to do.

I know for medicine it doesn't matter what uni I go to in terms of job prospects but is that the case for engineering? I'd imagine not... would it be beneficial to go to UNSW instead of say UWS?
UNSW is generally considered the best in terms of facilities and rankings in NSW. UNSW has good connections though, like how USyd has good connections with Law. But I don't think the prejudice (or prestige) for university choice is that bad though; you can go to UNSW or UTS or USyd or UoW or UNCLE and still graduate and get jobs.

b3kh1t

HSC
I wanted to study medicine but my UMAT scores were disappointing, based off last year's cutoffs at UWS I had a shot at an interview however it seems like this year's cutoff has been raised slightly, the cutoff was around 146 and I just missed out with 142 :cry:

I've decided that medicine is what I really want to do so will try again next year, however, I need to find something to entertain myself with during the meantime :p I've thought about just taking a gap year but if I don't get into medicine again then that means I've pretty much wasted two years of my life in regards to my career.

I'm predicting my ATAR to be around 96-97 (possibly pushing into 98) which gives me plenty of headroom for most courses :) I've been so concentrated on medicine that I haven't really given any other courses much thought, I'm interested in the science and mathematics field so I was thinking of maybe some form of engineering or advanced science? What other courses should I consider?

In the event that I was never meant to be a doctor and never get in or if I change my mind in the future I'd also like a degree with good career prospects. My father studied electrical engineering at UNSW with fairly good marks but he graduated during a recession and his degree was useless at the time. What are the career prospects like for the various engineering courses and advanced science? I've heard that science degrees are like arts degrees and is only useful for becoming a science teacher, is there any truth to this?

TL;DR, I like mathematics and science, I will receive an ATAR of around 96-97, what course should I study?
Hey I was interested in doing medicine as well (although I decided late) and unfortunately I did not get an interview for UWS although I got 152, so I'm not sure about that cut off. Anyway in the email I received it also said that a good pathway into medicine if you are really wanting to do it is through advance science or medical science, you just need a GPA of 5.5 (generally credit/distinctions).

Not sure if this will help you in any way but in case I did not get into medicine I also applied for an actuarial studies scholarship and actuarial/adv science (I like maths and also don't mind commerce), medical science, dentistry and advanced science. I'm not sure what I want either but as you can see I have a broad range of courses and so don't just give up on medicine but also keep you your options open with a lot of courses. BTW engineering and commerce is a good course and its very beneficial although it is 6 years so not sure if you like long courses.

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey I was interested in doing medicine as well (although I decided late) and unfortunately I did not get an interview for UWS although I got 152, so I'm not sure about that cut off. Anyway in the email I received it also said that a good pathway into medicine if you are really wanting to do it is through advance science or medical science, you just need a GPA of 5.5 (generally credit/distinctions).

Not sure if this will help you in any way but in case I did not get into medicine I also applied for an actuarial studies scholarship and actuarial/adv science (I like maths and also don't mind commerce), medical science, dentistry and advanced science. I'm not sure what I want either but as you can see I have a broad range of courses and so don't just give up on medicine but also keep you your options open with a lot of courses. BTW engineering and commerce is a good course and its very beneficial although it is 6 years so not sure if you like long courses.
I live in the local area around UWS (GWS applicant) so the cutoff for me was slightly lower, around 146 this year from what I've read on Med Students Online. I knew about that pathway before but it isn't an option for me, I don't even know how well I'd fare in the interview and would rather something guaranteed (whether that be medicine or another course) to keep my mind at ease.

b3kh1t

HSC
Aerospace/aeronautical. Anything which locks you into a specific field. If you wanted to work on the aero field, then do Mechanical, as it allows you into a broad field of jobs. Also, Mechatronics is a bit too new for employers to know what it actually is; being one of the newest branches, many large companies have long term Mechanical and Electrical engineers which they have set jobs for them to do.

UNSW is generally considered the best in terms of facilities and rankings in NSW. UNSW has good connections though, like how USyd has good connections with Law. But I don't think the prejudice (or prestige) for university choice is that bad though; you can go to UNSW or UTS or USyd or UoW or UNCLE and still graduate and get jobs.
BTW I would not recommend aeronautical engineering (mind you I was very interested in that) because there is rarely any jobs in Australia other then the army and aircraft designers, so unless your willing to travel overseas then don't think that would be good

b3kh1t

HSC
I live in the local area around UWS (GWS applicant) so the cutoff for me was slightly lower, around 146 this year from what I've read on Med Students Online. I knew about that pathway before but it isn't an option for me, I don't even know how well I'd fare in the interview and would rather something guaranteed (whether that be medicine or another course) to keep my mind at ease.
Yeh I also live in the western regions so the lower cut off would have applied to me also. That's aiight then but you seemed quite certain you wanted to do medicine so if you remain persistent you'll get it.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh I also live in the western regions so the lower cut off would have applied to me also. That's aiight then but you seemed quite certain you wanted to do medicine so if you remain persistent you'll get it.
Did you tell them you were a GWS applicant?

On MSO someone reported they are on the reserve list with 148.

b3kh1t

HSC
Anyway have you decided what you might or want to put in your preferences??

HSC
Uni Grad
I have no idea at all, that is why I've created this thread, I have a bit of time left before main round preferences are due however :)

I've been thinking about engineering for a while, just not sure what sort, I think I'll do something relating to computer hardware idk.

b3kh1t

HSC
So are you more of a technical person or an imaginative person

Amogh

HSC
N/A
mate I reckon you're not using time effectively by worrying about this NOW. Ace the HSC first and then decide. (It's what I intend to do...)

Oh and Engineering sounds like the ideal choice for you
UNSW is considered to be one of the better ones for it as well. Look up the different streams. You may like Mechanical, imo.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
Why not an allied health subject. That way it will be relevant to medicine (and keep in mind there always is post grad medicine as well). Choose something interesting that you will enjoy so it is easy to stay motivated to get the good marks you will need to get into med. Physio, occupatoinal therapy, social work, psych, speech path, radiography, midwifery, dietetics etc Getting a good grounding in human anatomy and biomed subjects will help you out a lot if you study medicine later.

workshops

HSC
Same suitation here.
I applied for:
1) Graffith dent (3yr course) - requries 99.9 atar :(
2) B Commerce/B advanced scinece (Adv math) - 5yr course and with bonous pts i think i will make it
3) UNSW coop program - hey it's $15000 scholarship, why wouldn't you at least give it a go?
4) Charles Stuart Uni Denistry (5yr course) - not sure about this one...

I am also considering doing post grad med... may b i will c u there :D

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You like Science and Maths? Do Science (Advanced Mathematics) at UNSW.

/thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)