Ok, I'm in Year 12 right now and the subjects I currently do are:

• English Advanced
  • Studies of Religion II
  • Modern History
  • Extension History
  • Community and Family Studies
  • Society and Culture
  • Legal Studies
As you can see the scaling for these subjects aren't THAT great. I want to drop Extension History because the workload is too much (I've got 13 units right now and want to do 11 or 12). I also don't want to do 3 major works. I was ranked =5th/45 last year in Modern History. I also want to drop to Religion 1 unit.

I REALLY want an ATAR of at least 90 (96 preferably). If I drop Extension, is there still a chance I can achieve this mark? Please don't say "of course, just do well in every other subject"...because the truth is, I'm not that great at any subject and I don't think I can get in the 90s for everything. Will Ext History improve my chances greatly? Or is there no point in keeping it?

I guess my question is -->> Is it too risky/hard to get 96 without an Extension subject??

Thanks so much :)

Last edited:

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
yes
just work hard.

i did 10 units with subjects taht didnt scale at all, and i got over 90.
i didn't really work that hard to be honest.,
i was playing games/watching tv/movies for at least 3 hours a day, everyday.
so im sure you can get 96 if you try .

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I got 96 and this is what I did.
Physics
Music 1
Maths Extension 1
Maths Extension 2
English Adv

Of those, I got three band 6's and two band 5's.
I worked really hard all year though.

My own personal advice is to as well as you possibly can in english, because IMO, it has quite a large bearing on your ATAR. For year 11, I was ranked >25/60, but worked super hard in year 12 to get to 3rd/60. I reckon if I would have kept going at my year 11 english rate, I wouldn't have gotten above 91.00.

The subjects that I did scale awesomely though, except Music. I got a band 6 in that though, so it didn't really matter.

Just do your best now, and make sure towards the end of the year, you have organised what you are going to do if you get an ATAR above 96 or an ATAR below 96. Not saying you will by any means, just be prepared. I wasn't lol.

Kaatie

HSC
Eng Avd - 91
Mathematics - 88
Economics - 89
Chemistry - 86
Food Technology - 94

not sure how I got the same as biopia when he did 4unit math and got three b6's though

shaon0

HSC
Ok, I'm in Year 12 right now and the subjects I currently do are:

• English Advanced
  • Studies of Religion II
  • Modern History
  • Extension History
  • Community and Family Studies
  • Society and Culture
  • Legal Studies
As you can see the scaling for these subjects aren't THAT great. I want to drop Extension History because the workload is too much (I've got 13 units right now and want to do 11 or 12). I also don't want to do 3 major works. I was ranked =5th/45 last year in Modern History. I also want to drop to Religion 1 unit.

I REALLY want an ATAR of at least 90 (96 preferably). If I drop Extension, is there still a chance I can achieve this mark? Please don't say "of course, just do well in every other subject"...because the truth is, I'm not that great at any subject and I don't think I can get in the 90s for everything. Will Ext History improve my chances greatly? Or is there no point in keeping it?

I guess my question is -->> Is it too risky/hard to get 96 without an Extension subject??

Thanks so much :)
Try to do well in english. If you don't have a good teacher for english then try to change classes. My biggest regret is not changing classes at the end of yr11 as I probably would've gotten a band 6 for english opposed to a band 5.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It's not risky/hard to get 96 without an Extension subject. I know plenty of people who didn't do extensions and got >96.

Apparently SORII doesn't have much more content/work when compared to SORI...

Here's an idea: unless you <3 and are awesome at Community and Family studies, i suggest you drop that instead of history extension.

Oh and don't be scared of doing 3 majors. If you love your subjects and are somewhat organised, you'll be fine. Heaps of people have achieved great ATARs/marks with 3 majors :)

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Eng Avd - 91
Mathematics - 88
Economics - 89
Chemistry - 86
Food Technology - 94

not sure how I got the same as biopia when he did 4unit math and got three b6's though
IT'S FRIGGEN ENGLISH!!!

I swear to god, it has such a massive bearing in the end... I got 85 in English. It explains everything lol.

Congratz on your awesome results though. =] In food tech especially!

super.muppy

HSC
IT'S FRIGGEN ENGLISH!!!

I swear to god, it has such a massive bearing in the end... I got 85 in English. It explains everything lol.

wohs never knew english was so influential

Kaatie

HSC
IT'S FRIGGEN ENGLISH!!!

baha food technology is a joke, you learn stuff like canning and jobs in the food industry. then the bell would ring and id go to chem and id make esters and soap and learn about creating new elements by neutron bombardment.

happycupcake

HSC
Eng Avd - 91
Mathematics - 88
Economics - 89
Chemistry - 86
Food Technology - 94

Thanks for letting me know your marks. Congrats, you should be proud :)

happycupcake

HSC
It's not risky/hard to get 96 without an Extension subject. I know plenty of people who didn't do extensions and got >96.

Apparently SORII doesn't have much more content/work when compared to SORI...

Here's an idea: unless you <3 and are awesome at Community and Family studies, i suggest you drop that instead of history extension.

Oh and don't be scared of doing 3 majors. If you love your subjects and are somewhat organised, you'll be fine. Heaps of people have achieved great ATARs/marks with 3 majors :)
Thanks so much for your advice!! :) :)

Eddykungfu

HSC
Aiming for 90+?

I don't think you should RELY on scaling, just do the subjects you enjoy.. My 2 worst scalers were my 2 best marks, because I enjoyed them the most.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I dropped extension, which I know was the right decision for me. I actually quite like CAFS and I'm glad I've kept it. Fingers crossed I get a decent mark! :)
Nice :)

You'd better ace CAFS though. And when i mean ace, i mean accccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)