plz help ~! B comm at macq or B business at UTS ?? (1 Viewer)

ethereal^

HSC
eyo epsilon, nice posts bro.. summed up well..
im weighing up whether its worth me travelling to uts each day when im 15 mins away from macq. the main reason im still confused is that 1 of my friendz said at uts u get more work experience or someshit? like wat epsilon said.. any1 got any insight as to the quality of lecturers of each or anything?
i gota make this decision quick, the unis dont allow much time ffs..

epsilon

HSC
Ummnn.... dun mind me asking, ethereal, but why are you still deciding on this? Wasn't the uni offers already announced on the 19th of Jan? Didn't you get your offer yet?

ethereal^

HSC
i applied for all the commerce's.. then the uai cutoffs this yr were low as fuk so now i can go to uts business which i really didnt expect..
u was expecting to go macq comm with my 90.7 uai cuz there were no other commerce courses avaiable. now uts decides to hav a uai cutoff of 90 something so now im confused

theone123

blue essence
HSC
ah ha, ethereal^ u mite not make it now since you have the uai for the UTS Business course for the MAIN round, we are talking about the LATE round now and likely to go up and i dont think theres places left.

epsilon

HSC
On the contrary, I think I've just read yesterday's SMH's uni section and I saw that there are still vacancies for B. Business. Good luck!

ethereal^

HSC
just say i wana go b business, my offer atm is at macq comm, how would i change if i wanted to?
shud i just accept this offer first or is it once uve accepted an offer its final?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i can't stress this enough... ACCEPT YOUR MAIN ROUND OFFER....
because there is no guarantee that you will receive a LATE or FINAL round offer even if there are vacancies... because usually the cut off's tend to rise.

and if you accept your main round offer, it will NOT take you out of contention for the LATE and FINAL rounds...

IronMike

HSC
N/A
Although now I'm doing a commerce degree in UNSW. I have also been at UTS. Personally for me, B. Business at UTS was excellent - e.g. lecturers, program contect etc etc. What they taught us was very practical and relevant to business operation. For example, in study of first year economics subject, the program is designed to SHOW the link between Economics and the operation of business. Unlike commerce degree in other unis that focus on the theoretical side of economics discarding its relevance to the business world.
Although, I'm not quite sure about the academic standard of Commerce degree in MAQ, Business degree in UTS is definately of high calibre. This is supported by the 'Good University Guide' where it gave UTS five out of five stars in terms of its academic qualification whilst it gave four out of five stars for universities like USYD, UNSW, MAQ etc.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Might I ask How they showed the link between Economics and the Operation of Business?

And it's hard to compare between a university you've been to and one you haven't been to (as in, actually undertaking units of study there).

Also if you go by GUG, you might as well go to ANU like our law friend.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
kinda off topic: but i heard that the head of CPA lectures at macquarie or something.. any idea's?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
I think the first year ACCG lecturer was the vice-president of the NSW branch or somethin...maybe he's moved up.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
He was the Vice Pres of some CPA thingy three years ago, then Pres of some CPA thingy two years ago, then I didn't do ACCG.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
IronMike said:
What they taught us was very practical
Practical eh. UTS living up to their history as a former TAFE.

epsilon

HSC
GoodToGo said:
Practical eh. UTS living up to their history as a former TAFE.
Hmmnn... GoodToGo seem to have a personal vendetta against UTS :p You don't have to keep on harping about it winning Sdyney's "Ugliest Uni Award" :) I think everyone is aware of that already. 2 office blocks..... But give it a break man! ;)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
it only happens when someone claims that uts is better than macquarie, otherwise he ain't say nothing.

but thanks for bring up the nice buildings at uts :D

IronMike

HSC
N/A
MAQ uni building aint all that great either.
MAQ's greyish buildings are pretty ugly and depressing to say the least.
and Epsilon, wouldn't these kind of tread be better answered in the 'General' section?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
they aren't all grey, in fact we actually have something green at macq as well...

and you still haven't answered the question - how do they make practical links between economics and operations of business

IronMike

HSC
N/A
OK. First of all. When I transfered to UNSW, I had to do MACRO and MICRO AGAIN as I was unabled to get credit. Introduction to Economics at UTS was very practical in that it FOCUSED on HOW business should be run in accordance with the economic cycle/facts and HOW various factors in economy affect the operation of businesses. Although, some people claim that this subject is very superficial in that it deals with MACRO and MICRO in one subject, for me it was just appropriate level of teaching for GENERAL business students (not ALL business students need profound knowledge in such field for obvious reasons).
In UNSW, I found that, for example MACRO and MICRO, subjects had very extensive content but it really lacked practicality. The subject content included many irrelevant concepts and ideas on economics that weren't necessarily important for all if not most commerce students. (I think the reason for this is that B Eco and B Com do the same subjects in the first year which means that they need to adaquately provide for B Eco students unlike UTS where they dont have B Eco and the first year subs are purely directed towards B Business students).

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
epsilon said:
Hmmnn... GoodToGo seem to have a personal vendetta against UTS :p You don't have to keep on harping about it winning Sdyney's "Ugliest Uni Award" :) I think everyone is aware of that already. 2 office blocks..... But give it a break man! ;)
It seems you are reading something into my post (Freudian slip? Pavolovian reaction? Ehh too long since I've done psych). I was merely referring to the history of UTS (i.e. The NSW Institute of Technology), not about the buildings.. Oh, and you won't find anything on that on the UTS site...funny that. I'm just having a dig dude. So yeah, I'm not on a quest to fight UTS-trollage (though theres an awful lot of it going around these days). I used to date a USYD troll...much, much worse.

UTS-Broadway is cool in that it has a prime location. You can easily get to many cool places (Newtown, Glebe, The Rocks), and Chinatown's just there.

Macquarie's buildings styles were in-vogue at the time of construction. Alas, we have buildings that are slightly maze-like inside. But hey, it was the 60's...[insert tokin' emoticon]

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
IronMike said:
OK. First of all. When I transfered to UNSW, I had to do MACRO and MICRO AGAIN as I was unabled to get credit. Introduction to Economics at UTS was very practical in that it FOCUSED on HOW business should be run in accordance with the economic cycle/facts and HOW various factors in economy affect the operation of businesses. Although, some people claim that this subject is very superficial in that it deals with MACRO and MICRO in one subject, for me it was just appropriate level of teaching for GENERAL business students (not ALL business students need profound knowledge in such field for obvious reasons).
In UNSW, I found that, for example MACRO and MICRO, subjects had very extensive content but it really lacked practicality. The subject content included many irrelevant concepts and ideas on economics that weren't necessarily important for all if not most commerce students. (I think the reason for this is that B Eco and B Com do the same subjects in the first year which means that they need to adaquately provide for B Eco students unlike UTS where they dont have B Eco and the first year subs are purely directed towards B Business students).
A few things to note:
1. Is it just me, or have I seen repeated references to a certain university, ie. UNSW? We are addressing the question of whether to study at Macquarie or UTS. So maybe, UNSW isn't as practical as you claim. Maybe, it is. Does that help our student in making a decision about which university? Not really.

2. I am sure that the Macro and Micro course at UNSW explained how economic cycles and trends affected businesses, and consequently how it was run. Whether this is explicited explained or not, isn't the issue. When there is a downturn in the market/recession it would mean that businesses hire less new staff, or even fire individuals. This is just an obvious example.

3. Whether people claim its (the subject/s in UTS) superficial or not, is not what we are arguing. Maybe it is superficial. Maybe it isn't.

4. Did you complete higher Economics subjects at UNSW or did just complete first year Economics only. An extensive theoretical background is more often than not taught in early years, whereas practicality is brought in later. The fact that it was an extensive background and only first year material shows that they cover the basics at least. It's like realising a wheel is round, before seeing and appreciating its applications.

5. Whether the entire course is 100% relevant to all students is not really an issue. Is it even possible to develop a course which is 100% revelant to even one student is hard to find. More often than not it's the skills you acquire which make a subject worthwhile. I'm sure many of your subjects weren't relevant in hindsight.

6. Economics is a fundamental part of Commerce. And you don't want to water it down just for Commerce students. If you're going to study something, you might as well do it properly. Further, if they water it down, then the Commerce students wouldn't be able to do higher Economics units because they'd have gaps in their knowledge.

Summary: Macquarie isn't UNSW, so any comparative statements between UNSW and UTS should be treated with care. Assuming Macquarie was UNSW, it's still hard to claim that UTS is any more practical.

In fact, UNSW and Macquarie (and Sydney) incorporate groupwork, case studies and presentations into their subjects which is much more practical than reading about applications from a textbook which we also do anyway.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)