Pocket Knives (1 Viewer)

What do you say about the illegality of carrying pocket knives?

• It should be changed to make everyone carry em around

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • People should be able to carry it on certain conditions for safety

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • It's best the way it is..

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
Yes, you carry it around for safety but how do you make sure others carry it around for safety? :rolleyes:
hehe, if you read my other posts on this thread, one of them highlights the exact point you just made. and that if the legal system could find a way to partition those sincerely using for the right reasons, it would be good stuff, but we all know it aint gonna happen, right?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
ok can someone lay this out straight for me

say i wanted to carry a weopon in my car for self protection...i allready have a steering wheel lock in my car which would pack a punch but i doubt it would be classed as a weopon so this is all therotical

now say i wanted to carry a basebal bat in my car... how could i stop myself getting fined for weopon posession [ such as the road blocks and car searches we have seen following the riots] if my car were searched?
would having a basebal in my trunk do the trick or would i need more equipment to try and say i was actually using the bat for recreation and not as a weopon e.g a helmet, some gloves stuff like that.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
yeah, get put the pack in the car for nothing, and use the bat for safety. its gonna cost you a hell of alot. better use something that is normal to be in a car, i can't think of anything. or i think i remember that having a poket knife in a car isn't illegal. you can keep in your car, maybe for caming purposes or cutting fruit and stuff, but that's all i'd say to a policeman. keep fruit in your car.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
loquasagacious said:
THE LAW said:
Knives can be carried for:
(i) the lawful pursuit of the person’s occupation, education or training,
(ii) the preparation or consumption of food or drink,
(iii) participation in a lawful entertainment, recreation or sport,

(b) the custody is reasonably necessary in all the circumstances during travel to or from or incidental to an activity referred to in paragraph (a), or
(3) However, it is not a reasonable excuse for the purposes of this section for a person to have custody of a knife solely for the purpose of self defence or the defence of another person.

Also so as not to be considered a concealed weapon the knife must be worn in some form of external sheath.

As far as people's I need it to defend myself arguments has it occured that essentially you are starting an arms race. As it currently stands it is illegal for either you or your assailant to be carrying a knife - you reason that you should be able to carry a knife because then knife > no knife and you win. However you neglect that if you can carry a knife then so can they. So then you say I need a gun because gun > knife and you win. But then they can carry a gun, so you say I need an assualt rifle, so on and so forth, I'm sure you get the drift.

I think the current laws are the best possible ones.
The thing is that after Howards ban on guns (stats from 12 months following) homicides were up 3.2%, assaults were up 8.6% and armed robberies were up a staggering 44%. All this when the statistics showed a steady decrease in gun related homicides in the 25 years prior to the ban.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
withoutaface said:
The thing is that after Howards ban on guns (stats from 12 months following) homicides were up 3.2%, assaults were up 8.6% and armed robberies were up a staggering 44%. All this when the statistics showed a steady decrease in gun related homicides in the 25 years prior to the ban.

wow, are you serious? that's bad!

we all know how stupid howard is anyway.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
i find it funnier that fireworks are illegal here, but you can buy them from canberra and bring them here. i got deafened last night from a bunch of psychos who thought it was a thrill to let off fireworks near 10PM, unaware of the fact that the fireworks were set up underneath power lines
You need to do a course and get a licence, then you can use fireworks.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
serious? i can't imagine what it would involve...

btw, small question to NTB, are you always online?

M.I.A-187

HSC
The society does not need anything material that can put holes into someone's body. Well yeah if everyone stop using weapons (if all of them are banned) then i guess the country is safe. However a question rises...i doubt it gonna stop pplz from then punching at each other with their fist when bad things happaned.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
the kids didnt exactly have a license.

lmao i posted that so long ago that i was looking for whoever posted it so i could quote them!

well, i guess my neighbours want to join in on the fun now. i think they are holding the fireworks and aiming them, because a while ago when they were letting them off i thought the sound indicated that they were flying from the beginning of my driveway to the end of it.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
M.I.A-187 said:
The society does not need anything material that can put holes into someone's body. Well yeah if everyone stop using weapons (if all of them are banned) then i guess the country is safe. However a question rises...i doubt it gonna stop pplz from then punching at each other with their fist when bad things happaned.
Yeah, umm, should we ban powertools, stationery, kitchen utensils, toothbrushes (as used in prison)... etc? I mean, if everybody stopped going to war, there'd be peace. If everybody stopped breaking the law, there'd be no crime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)