Police stave off pedophile 'lynch mob' (1 Viewer)

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23992824-421,00.html

Is this just?

Having served his time for his offences, is it fair and just that the punishment continue outside the walls of gaol? Does he now not have the right to go on with his life, uninterrupted?

Would anyone want him living in your neighbourhood? Is it even our business if he is living in our neighbourhood? Should identity be supressed where it leads to community 'lynching' of past offenders?

Tough situation if you ask me. If he bears no risk to the community then what should stop him living anonymously as part of the community like everyone else. By the same token though, by what standard do we measure that risk? Past recidivism? Psychological assessment? Gaol time completed?

One of the greatest factors that often drives recidivism is the isolation and inability of the offenders to even attempt to live normal lifes. Employment opportunities are very limited, and and social mobility virtually impossible..

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Dude didn't serve his time mang, they won't give him a trial because he is too notorious. It's been in the news for weeks.

People have a right to not want a paedophile living in their communities.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I don't feel sorry for him at all. When you do what he did you lose your right to a peaceful existence.

He shouldn't of been let out of gaol in the first place. People like him should be put to death... and I refuse to believe that he is not a risk to the community.

Anyone who would accept him in their community or employ him is an idiot.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
Dude didn't serve his time mang, they won't give him a trial because he is too notorious. It's been in the news for weeks.

People have a right to not want a paedophile living in their communities.
I'm not disagreeing with you, just posing those questions.

He has served 14 years in gaol to date, and his notoriety is derived from his past crimes.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
katie tully said:
Dude didn't serve his time mang, they won't give him a trial because he is too notorious.
Part of the reasoning behind not taking him to trial was that the time he has spent in custody already (2.5 years or so) is greater than the maximum jail term for that particular offence.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I have no pity for him.

m&ss2008

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I don't feel sorry for him at all. When you do what he did you lose your right to a peaceful existence.

He shouldn't of been let out of gaol in the first place. People like him should be put to death... and I refuse to believe that he is not a risk to the community.

Anyone who would accept him in their community or employ him is an idiot.
i know if i had kids i wouldnt want him living in my neighborhood. people like that should live in shame forever

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
It's a clear sign. It's not a sign that the mobs are undermining the legal system. Because that's ridiculous. The mobs decide what is the legal system, you do, I do, the community does. If we think pedos are getting off too lightly for the crimes they commit, that shows the failings of the court. They aren't punishing people severely enough, it's up to the communities, the people.

We have the power, and we say "fucking die pedo scum".
jb is fine though. ;)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
sam04u said:
If we think pedos are getting off too lightly for the crimes they commit, that shows the failings of the court. They aren't punishing people severely enough, it's up to the communities, the people.
When it comes to pedophilia, the nature of the crime means some in the community will always think they are getting off too lightly, whatever the sentence. The guys harrassing Ferguson won't be happy unless kiddy fiddlers are put away for life after a single offence, which would be slightly blowing the crime out of proportion, to punish crimes against children majorly worse than any other rape, murder etc...

Aplus

HSC
N/A
House arrest with 24 hour surveillance?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Disgusting man. The fact the he is disgusting is not relevent.

Tully may argue that due to failings in the legal system he has not served an appropriate sentance. Again, not relevent. The fact that the legal system is flawed suggests a need to reform the aspects of the system that prevented him from being tried for other alleged crimes.

However, if you allow communities to simply force him out of his home, it undermines the whole legal system and the rule of law. I'm sure you can see the danger of vindicating people's decision to take the law into their own hands.

It's a tough issue because I also support freedom of information. As far as I can see the only appropriate course of action is to allow his location to be disclosed but to rigorously prosecute anyone who harasses or intimidates him.
Agree with everything in this post.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
^ Is this guy an idiot, or just a moron?
Sorry son, Australia won't be under Sharia law any time son.

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
Personally, I haven't heard enough of this story to be commenting, but what th heck, I'll put in my 2 cents.

I think child predators should have the right to lead 'regular' lives once they have served their gaol term and they should have the right to go on freely with their lives.

On the other hand, I can see the parent's concern.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
It's the old morality vs law debate. Although intertwined in many ways, this circumstance really highlights how our moral beliefs often ignore the functioning of the legal system.

The legal system operates as it does, not to protect those with perverted minds, but to ensure that each individual is afforded objectivity, fairness and due process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)