Possible to improve in 2 weeks? (1 Viewer)

One Drone

Hi guys,

I am not that good at 2U Maths however as it is my weakest course by far I really want to improve and would like to know the most effective way of studying for it?

At the moment I've been going through revision sheets and 2U HSC Papers since 1995 Q1-10 but it takes me a while to try to figure them all out. Is this the most effective way? When school resumes I think I'll sit in the maths block all day and ask the teacher how to do something if I get stuck..

Cheers.

SxC

HSC
Thats one way you could do things but the main thing is that you understand every topic and then ull undoubtedly go good

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Furthermore, how good is your algebra? If it is weak, you seriously need to spend at least a bit of time (maybe an hour a day, not just one ro two days, since you'll forget it by the end) nailing that.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
heh in 2 weeks you could finish....
6*11 + 2*2 = 70 2U maths papers if all you study is maths.
More than enough.

The logic:
finish the papers in an hr or so, trying to keep accuracy up... rest on the 14th day, do a few papers with 3hrs exam conditions.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If you understand the content, then past papers are good. If you don't, then perhaps exercises from the textbook would be more fruitful.

speersy

HSC
N/A
Estel said:
The logic:
finish the papers in an hr or so, trying to keep accuracy up... rest on the 14th day, do a few papers with 3hrs exam conditions.
Ummm.. i do all my past papers with proper exam conditions. It takes alot of time but when i sit the exam i will have my time management down perfectly.

One Drone

Cheers guys, thanks a lot for the help. I do understand the topics but I never really revise so I forget them easily.. Algebra is fine and I know how to roughly answer questions, just not how to complete them if I don't revise. Past papers sound good.

Good Luck to everyone btw. :)

neuro_logik

HSC
I'm somewhat shit at maths (Rank:47/89), but if you keep doing past papers you will see a big improvement! for example last week i could only get say aroun 7/12 for questions 1-8, but after a heap of past papers i get around 10-12/12 for questions 1-8. patience and persistance is the key dont give up!

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
if you're really getting desperate for time...
my maths teacher said to do all of question 1 in the past papers, then all of question 2 etc etc cos the easiest marks to get are in the first 7 questions and you don't want to be losing easy marks. Then work out where your weak areas are from that and revise them. After that start on the harder questions (8-10)... At least then you know you've got the basics covered and you'll get most of the marks, rather than getting a few here and there. When you know you're able to get the marks there, focus on the harder sections.
good luck!!!

Last edited:
HSC
JamiL said:
my answer is NO... if u dont know it already, u can improve i recon by 5-10% but no more
That will do wonders for the confidence.

You will be surprised how much you will be able to improve if you work hard, so just keep doing the past papers and you should be able to go pretty well.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
2 weeks is enough to finish half the 2U course if you put your mind to it.
So it's never too late.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^ I agree with Estel. There's a LOT you can learn in two weeks.

J

jhakka

Writing down every formula and rule does help, oddly enough. Do that, then make sure you can answer all types of questions and you should be alright.

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
ohwhenthesaints said:
That will do wonders for the confidence.

You will be surprised how much you will be able to improve if you work hard, so just keep doing the past papers and you should be able to go pretty well.
i was being honest.... u can do heeps in 2weeks year... but there is no way u can make a significant change realy, maths is all about application and it takes a while 4 ppl to grasp some concepts, i think if som1 cannot grasp a concept in 10months they aight goin 2 be able 2 do it in 2 weeks with out the aid of a teacher like they had when they were learning in class.... most ppl are saying yes because
1. they feel pity 4 the kid
2 are in the same situation and tryn 2 convince themselves that its possible
or 3. are brains like slide rule, who pick up concepts quiet easly and have a love 4 maths
unless ur #3 my answer is no, and if ur #3 then i will question ur motives 4 this tread

Candypants

Well you can't jump from a to b, you have to do it gradually. The best way to study is to do heaps of practice papers, mark em, find your weak spots, identify, fix, do another one. That's the best way to learn what your weaknesses are, and what sortof careless mistakes you make. It will also point out the areas you know the least.
Because you have to think, questions in the textbook are more or less straightforward, whereas HSC questions are a bit weirder, as you may have noticed. So you really need to be studying the maths in context to how it's going to be asked.

But if you don't know the course as well as you can know it, then you'll have to start there. It really depends what you're up to... and with 2 weeks to go, it's better you're up to the former.

It may be possible to learn the 2u syllabus in 2 weeks but it's not enough time to learn the 'types' of questions they ask you. But it all depends on how good you are at maths naturally I guess.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
JamiL said:
i was being honest.... u can do heeps in 2weeks year... but there is no way u can make a significant change realy, maths is all about application and it takes a while 4 ppl to grasp some concepts, i think if som1 cannot grasp a concept in 10months they aight goin 2 be able 2 do it in 2 weeks with out the aid of a teacher like they had when they were learning in class.... most ppl are saying yes because
1. they feel pity 4 the kid
2 are in the same situation and tryn 2 convince themselves that its possible
or 3. are brains like slide rule, who pick up concepts quiet easly and have a love 4 maths
unless ur #3 my answer is no, and if ur #3 then i will question ur motives 4 this tread
I was failing advanced in years 9 and 10. I spent some time in the Christmas holidays on maths and have loved it ever since. I now teach myself the concepts. I didn't pick it up much from the teachers after having been taught it for about 3 years, yet I could pick it up when I spent some time alone with it. I firmly believe that if one has both time and determination, it's quite possible to succeed.

2 weeks isn't enough time to do it all, but it's enough time to seriously improve your mark if you try very hard, and revise the concepts each day, rather then do all of one thing one day, then all of another the next.

Nurture, not nature.

One Drone

ROFL! Mate I know every topic in Maths, just haven't done enough practice.. So far I've done Q1-Q5 from 1995 to 2003 and I think that I've learnt quite a lot more. Main problem is that I keep making silly mistakes but I'll overcome that eventually...

This post was really just a panic post. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)