• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Post election thoughts (2 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I agree with losing compulsary voting apparently it makes people think about issues.. but it doesn't really. Some people just don't give a crap :)

Could this get passed through the senate now? or would we need a referendum? I dunno where it talks about compulsary voting..

impulse_17

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I don't think many people were thinking 'but what about the kyoto protocol!'.
i was. only because if labor would've gotten in, my argument that the aust. govt. is weak at implementing global environment law in my legal essay wouldn't have seemed so convincing.

so in a way it's good johnnys back in so that i can criticise him.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
If you want to effect change, join the Liberal party and start branch stacking ;)

If you're into Labor, then join Labor, see if the marginal seats have a shit Labor candidate, branch stack and get rid of them, install yourself and make sure you win the seat :p

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Ziff said:
If you want to effect change, join the Liberal party and start branch stacking ;)

If you're into Labor, then join Labor, see if the marginal seats have a shit Labor candidate, branch stack and get rid of them, install yourself and make sure you win the seat :p

aint that the truth.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
cattlefat said:
This is what forums are about whinging...ranting..saying what your angry about..Obviously if its given back to the states, then they're not getting enough. I doubt they would sqaunder funding that is so desperately needed.

And I said that instead of funding improved public services, funding must have gone elsewhere.

Stop blocking what I say and think about it, instead of being so staunchly liberal and narrowminded.
Money they so desperately need but it's ok for them to lose $50 million due to problems with processing traffic fines.

http://www.abc.net.au/nsw/news/200409/s1200172.htm

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Pfft, quoting Broggers doesn't lend any argument credibility :p

* It only accounts for $42m, where's the other $8m!

Last edited:

Ziff

HSC
N/A
"I think everyone should have a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down about what might happen in the Senate", said the Finance Minister, Senator Nick Minchin.
I'd like to be the first to welcome the era of the 1950s into my life, as I'm sure the rest of you would like to do as well.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I agree with losing compulsary voting apparently it makes people think about issues.. but it doesn't really. Some people just don't give a crap :)

Could this get passed through the senate now? or would we need a referendum? I dunno where it talks about compulsary voting..
i personally think voting should stay compulsory. lets just look at exhibit A, the US. Political apathy abounds, only around half the eligble population votes - as such, the parties have to spend more effort convincing people to vote and less effort gets spent into actually presenting policies beyond a name eg "clean air act" "funding for faith based community groups"...
In any case, I presume a referendum would be necessary.

Mendo

HSC
Twas a sad day for all, even if you don't realise it. Dunno wif Daves summary of Lathams campaign was quite as good:
"Vote for me, cos my wife is hot" -humerous never-the-less.
Goodbye Telstra, goodbye ABC, goodbye Uni for lower income earners, goodbye public education, goodbye vision and goodbye progressive future.
I salute you all.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
waterfowl said:
My method: I kept a tally throughout the campaign and Howard or Latham got minus or plus points for things they did. It was a tie for a while but then when Howard didn't go on Rove he lost the tally. But I believe Liberals will do a good job, I researched and that is what my personal conclusion was.
Mwahahaha! You actually based your 'personal conclusions' on the extensive research method of watching crap tv? Did you seriously assess a political leader (ie the person unfortunately running this country) on whether or not he appeared on a television show which has no bearing on politics whatsoever, and which is hosted by a presenter who repeatedly fails to ask relevent, pertinent questions? Yay democracy!

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
mervvyn said:
i personally think voting should stay compulsory. lets just look at exhibit A, the US. Political apathy abounds, only around half the eligble population votes - as such, the parties have to spend more effort convincing people to vote and less effort gets spent into actually presenting policies beyond a name eg "clean air act" "funding for faith based community groups"...
In any case, I presume a referendum would be necessary.
Yes a referendum is necessary because it would involve changing the constitution...I presume anyway.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
OMG, the responses of some people in this thread... it's like you thoguht LAbour would actually win?!

I'm not bashing Labour, either, but c'mon, they had no chance!

Only thing I'm scared of is that religious group. What're they called? Blah.

Mendo

HSC
If people actually had any enthusiasm about politics in this country then maybe labor would have won. Swinging voters who decide to stick with the current government because they THINK they've run things ok decided the outcome, pretty much. Johnny is gonna be about 70 at the next election IF he stays on, and some higher power better help us all if costello runs the show- *insert smirk here*
Damn i wish gough was still around.........

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Mendo said:
If people actually had any enthusiasm about politics in this country then maybe labor would have won. Swinging voters who decide to stick with the current government because they THINK they've run things ok decided the outcome, pretty much. Johnny is gonna be about 70 at the next election IF he stays on, and some higher power better help us all if costello runs the show- *insert smirk here*
Damn i wish gough was still around.........
Gough would be 88 :p

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Actualli i prefer costello to howard.. at least i can tell hes cheeky..

im startin to wonder if howard has dementia.. :| no offense to ppl with dementia.. cos he keeps forgettin tat he said WMD exist, no GST, BAS will make things easier and other acronyms.... :p

for everyone out there remember the average person in the electorate does not hav an economics degree.. and in the short run in good economic times.. conservative policies looks realistic.. labor was playing catch up.. but not fast enough.. i hope latham stays.. he seems stronger than kim or crean and will make sure that the ALP hav experience under their belts..

//edit: australia has not realli had much of a poor economic time recently.. cept the asian financial crisis.. which didnt affect as much because the rest of the Asia Pacific was more f*cked.. if interest rates go up.. libs will be out.. lik in 1970's-1990's

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Our current account deficit has risen to a historic high of $47bn...but who cares right? We have economic growth! LOTS OF IT! MORE MORE MORE! :rolleyes:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
What the hell is with people and Howard and the GST.

Yes he picked a bad choice of words ages ago, but people change.

It was clearly the major sticking point of that campaign, you would have had to be an idiot to vote for him and not think you would get a GST.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)