Powerplay - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

Booman

HSC
hi im doing antony and cleopatra and was wondering if erin brockovich worked with it???

Lost Seraph

HSC
Well, I'm using Antony / Cleopatra along with a newspaper article on the NSW State election, where it relates to A/C as both are political powerplays, using dirty tactics to gain the upper hand.

I might also use Animal Farm as it exemplifies a 'only the strong will survive' theme just like ones in A/C.

sherissey

HSC
Hey, wow this topic sucks and I havent even heard of half the stuff you guys have mentioned. Trials tomorrow so not ready but my best advice to anyone is to find something YOU personally like and know don't worry what everyone else is doing because as long as you can find good quotes, techniques and uses of power your fine. I was originally going to mean girls coz i saw it on here and i love that movie but some cow at school chucked a hissy fit coz apparently "she made it up" so I thought screw that and instead of taking the easy way out ive gone for DUDE WHERES MY CAR....I know sounds strange eh but then think about it

power =

• The continumn transfunctioner
  • The sexuality of the "hot chicks"
  • Personal power by that big guy ive forgotten his name again (the one who wants to beat up chester)
  • The political power that Zoltan claims to have with his followers
  • The power each group claims to have
  • The power of ignorance, had jesse and chester not been so completely stupid they may have destroyed the world
  • Power of sexuality again as the transexual woman/man threatens them
  • Power of authroity again with the police and lady in the car compound
And Im pretty sure you could pull a few more out of there, it might sound dumb now but give me a while to work on it and it should turn out ok...ive already got a few camera angels and techniques ready so ah well thats just something else you can use if your into the movie, again keep in mind that unless your some really smart person with a perfect memory which i so aint its best to use a text or film that you enjoy anything can relate just look at it in depth and have fun!!!!

Love Me
xoxox:)

beentherdunthat

HSC
Lost Seraph said:
Well, I'm using Antony / Cleopatra along with a newspaper article on the NSW State election, where it relates to A/C as both are political powerplays, using dirty tactics to gain the upper hand.

I might also use Animal Farm as it exemplifies a 'only the strong will survive' theme just like ones in A/C.
... can we use Animal Farm... ???
I heard that we can't because it's part of the junior high syllabus... ?

ladyk

HSC
Does anyone know of any paintings or poetry i could use as a sup? im already using gladiator and i dont want to use another movie
HELP

Jessie-rae

Respect the Moose
HSC
666_blessings said:
Gangs of New York (film), a leunig cartoon and Lian Hearn's 'Across the Nightinagle Floor' (novel).
Does anyone know any links to the nightingale floor? I've read it, but I can't find many notes on it

radish.07

HSC
For anyone looking for a visual text, you'll find some excellent Powerplay images at http://andi3olotic.deviantart.com/gallery/

Particularly the "Corporate Pandemonium" series. Pick any of them and consider:

- Symbolism of faceless, male, suit-wearing figures.
- Vectors; How does the eye travel across the image, and how is it significant?
- Colour symbolism - Shading, objects in the scene, use of light, etc.
- Body language - What is the visual relationship between figures? What does it suggest?
- Perspective - What is the relationship between the figures and other elements in the composition? What does it suggest?
- Allusion; Do any elements of the scene reference other literary or artistic works? How is the reference significant?
- Visual metaphores

- From the above, how are the figures depicted as powerful? What power do they wield? What is the author's comment on power and the powerful?

Very rich texts, and very quick to analyse. And in an essay, you don't need to story-tell in order to give the examiner an idea of the text - just describe the scene in one neat sentence. By including an image in your discussion, you're also showing that you can apply your knowledge of Powerplay to a range of text-types, and you can talk about a whole different range of visual, rather than textual, techniques.

An example of how to reference these images:

"In image title (www.deviantART.com, by andi3olotic), the author suggests..."

I hope that's helpful. First post; G'day peeps.

cantfakeme

HSC
theres nothing wrong with having heaps of ralated texts, in our school our last assessment is a portfolio, we have to pick 4 texts in different forms eg film, feature article, poem, lyrics, novels, photos etc
we hav to write comparitive essays looking at the types of power and how it is used etc.... sooo

i am using a article on politics in india, v for vendetta, when the generals talk by midnight oil and a political cartoon by kimon marengo called dictators all.

hope this helps!!

powerplay is everywhere just look around! oh and queen liz pics and paintings r good too.

luvforourselves

HSC
Don't know if it's been mentioned but I'm using Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette. It's worked well with A&C for me so far and George Bush's Sept 11 speech. Plus I love it, so it's easy to remember quotes, techniques etc.

jest3r

HSC
I'm thinking of using Gwen Harwood's poem, Prize Giving. I think it works well with powerplay, in terms of heirarchical power embodied in the Marxist reading that can be extracted from the poem, and the power of munipulation...Not to mention that by studying this poem for this module of work, I'm also studying for the Gwen Harwood module of work. Good idea?

Last edited:

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
We're about to begin our Powerplay unit, and I'm thinking Mean Girls as a related text. A bit childish and not exactly the most intellectual film created, but the fact that Cady is befriended by Regina and abuses the power that she gains could be used. I'd have to watch it again, I haven't seen it in ages.

Either that, Cruel Intentions or Thirteen. Still need to think about it. =]

kirstali

HSC
powerplay supports:

machiavelli - the prince.
anna funder - stasiland
thomas paine - the rights of man.
cicero documents.
thomas more.
plato.

claire koski

HSC
yea um i need sum txts aswell desperately....
i know i might seem lazy but im heavily involved in sport
an also other matters...would really appreciate quick suggestions for
some texts...exam is on thursday....

monique199016

HSC
rcandelori said:
Harry Potter, Animal Farm, Cruel Intentions? Oh my god, how pathetically basic are these texts? The Board of Studies are looking for more originality in the selection of extra texts, and quite frankly the ones I've read on this thread are bad.

British Television series "House of Cards" and the 1988 film "Dangerous Liaisons" are much better choices.
I know i am a little late, however, this person is right.
I thought "The Wave" (fiction text) would be a really good one.
Very original. We studied it a few years ago, but it relates really well with Orwell's "1984".

monique199016

HSC
jest3r said:
I'm thinking of using Gwen Harwood's poem, Prize Giving. I think it works well with powerplay, in terms of heirarchical power embodied in the Marxist reading that can be extracted from the poem, and the power of munipulation...Not to mention that by studying this poem for this module of work, I'm also studying for the Gwen Harwood module of work. Good idea?
Very good idea.
However, it is a prescribed text in Module C: Critical study of texts.
Might want to ask your english teacher whether or not it is a good idea. The markers may see it as an easy way out, or not putting much thought into texts.
I guess its just what you do with it.
Good Luck!

Marinatos

HSC
Our teacher gave us some ideas including:
-- The Removalists
-- Dangerous Liaisons
-- Orlando
-- Memento
-- Marie Antoinette
-- Elizabeth
-- Being John Malkovich
-- House of Cards
-- Handmaid's Tale
-- The Ballot and the Bullet
-- To Lucasta, Going to War (by Richard Lovelace)
-- Ozymandias ( by Shelley)
-- On first looking into Chapmans Homer
-- Lies (Leunig cartoon)
-- Elizabeth Canton speech

I know many of the above have already been posted, but I thought I'd put them all here together anyway. Other ideas are speeches on power, newspaper articles, paintings such as Antony and Cleopatra by Alma-Tadema, poetry, etc.
Some sites that might be useful are:
-- ssdec.nsw.edu.au/history
-- www.time.com/time/photoessays/shattered
-- fno.org/oct05/oimages.html
-- poem hunter website

Remember that originality, sophistication and variety are really important in found texts.

If anyone has found any other paintings that could be used, I would love to know xD

HSC
im doing secret window, secret garden by steven king. not sure whether to do the movie with johnny depp or the short story.
im also doing the movie catch me if you can.
still need a third.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)