• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Predictions for Maths Standard 2 exam? (1 Viewer)

utopianimal

HSC
hey so u guys know why sometimes for normal distribution, we have to minus 0.5???, could someone explain and maybe indicate when i need to do this pleaseeee

mellysmelly

HSC
hey so u guys know why sometimes for normal distribution, we have to minus 0.5???, could someone explain and maybe indicate when i need to do this pleaseeee
um yes
so the questions they ask are like WHAT IS THE PROBABILIU FROM 0-whatever.... u take away .5 bc .5 is below the mean, hence bellow 0? idk if that makes sense I hope it does

Reactions: bcv

mellysmelly

HSC
1729420998559.png
For normal distribution, you always assume 50% of the data is lower than the mean and 50% is above the mean. Remember the mean is considered to have a z-score of 0.

The table tells us that as the z-score increases, so do the percentage of scores covered.

Since the question is asking what is the probability for selecting a scores between 0 and 1.94, and knowing 0.9738 of the data has a z-score of either 1.94 or lower; subtracting 0.5 takes away all the z-scores below the mean.

utopianimal

HSC
View attachment 45080
For normal distribution, you always assume 50% of the data is lower than the mean and 50% is above the mean. Remember the mean is considered to have a z-score of 0.

The table tells us that as the z-score increases, so do the percentage of scores covered.

Since the question is asking what is the probability for selecting a scores between 0 and 1.94, and knowing 0.9738 of the data has a z-score of either 1.94 or lower; subtracting 0.5 takes away all the z-scores below the mean.
thank uuuuuu

onetwothreefour

HSC
this might be a stupid question but just confirming, its possible to use both sine rule and cosine rule right for a question if you have the required information?

like both would work right?

bc sine rule is: ASA and SSA
and cosine rule is: SSS, SAS

SSA is the same as SAS, so both sine and cos would work for a specific question that has SSA.

am I trippin?

bcv

HSC
this might be a stupid question but just confirming, its possible to use both sine rule and cosine rule right for a question if you have the required information?

like both would work right?

bc sine rule is: ASA and SSA
and cosine rule is: SSS, SAS

SSA is the same as SAS, so both sine and cos would work for a specific question that has SSA.

am I trippin?
you should be fine, ive used sine when they did cosine and i got the same answer, dw

utopianimal

HSC
View attachment 45080

um yes
so the questions they ask are like WHAT IS THE PROBABILIU FROM 0-whatever.... u take away .5 bc .5 is below the mean, hence bellow 0? idk if that makes sense I hope it does
so basically if it says from 0-whatver then u minus 0.5 but if it gives a number and says probaility of more than that number then u minus by 1 right???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)