• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Pregnancy / Periods (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I think, generally, abortion is supported, and personally I do agree with it in certain circumstances.
That being said, if I ever were in a situation where I felt I needed it, I'm not entirely sure I could kill my baby.

JoeysBoy

HSC
natstar said:
Why shouldent abortion be supported? Unless your female, you wouldent know what its like to go through pregnancy, especially at such a young age when you have so many commitments. There is no 100% method of contaception. Sometimes things can go wroung no matter how much you try and prevent it and how safe you are.
wtf. So having or not having a child is like a convenience?

Cut your fallopian tubes right now. And don't get IVF.

I'm sorry... you're probably a nice girl and all, but fuck... I would hate to have a mother (or father) of me as a toy that s/he can just turn on when ever she pleases.

What commitments are you talking about? Going to uni? Take two years longer to do it (part time while working). Are you going to whine over two more years? It's a childs life for gods sake.

Last edited:

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
JoeysBoy said:
If the child would die indefinatly (with modern science, I doubt this would happen), then abortion maybe an option.

If the mother would die, then I personally do not support it. Don't get me wrong. If I were a mum and I were to die and my child live, I would 100% be up for having the baby (though again with modern science and techniques, this wouldn't be really realistic). If you're a mum that has a chance of fucking up her pregnancy, see a doctor. Its murder to abort a child.

Abortion is becoming an easy option for those horny fuckers who can't keep their pants on and who have no morals or any respect for a child's life.

Imagine if your mum, if she were to be in a dire financial situation, aborted you because you would be a "burden" on her. Bullshit. And for those bastard husbands who desert their wives after she's fallen pregant, I 100% support castration. End of story.

Abortion is murder. There is no if's or but's about it.
Okay. You're a guy. My first point is "you wouldnt know"
Secondly- if you really loved a woman, and she was going to DIE giving birth to YOUR child for which YOU are responsible for getting her pregnant....
1. you're partially to blame
2. you lose the woman you love.

Also. I have a cousin who is 11 now. He has severe issues, blackouts etc. He cannot walk, talk, eat or drink or take care of himself in any way. I love him so much, he's the most darling child in the world. But I can't be near him for too long and not cry at the sight of his agony and all the shit he has gone through, and will go through, growing up.
I would fully support abortion in the situation that you know your child will have an EXTREMELY DIMINISHED QUALITY OF LIFE. and i mean EXTREME, as stated above.

You're very closed minded and conservative for a hippie lover.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Sooo...say you had some scans and it turned out your child had some form of chromosomal abnormality, lets just say Trisomy 21 *cough* biomed study *cough* (Downs), would you be willing to bring a child into the world that was condemned to a life of hell?

And, as for the mother dying, as some chick said on some show the other night, "whats the point of having a baby if theres no mother to take care of it?"

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
JoeysBoy said:
wtf. So having or not having a child is like a convenience?

Cut your fallopian tubes right now. And don't get IVF.

I'm sorry... you're probably a nice girl and all, but fuck... I would hate to have a mother (or father) of me as a toy that s/he can just turn on when ever she pleases.

What commitments are you talking about? Going to uni? Take two years longer to do it (part time while working). Are you going to whine over two more years? It's a childs life for gods sake.
nine year old

rape victim

pregnant

will die because her body is not ready to support a child

abortion yay or nay

generally i think most people who are anti-abortion are all well and good as long as they don't pass judgement and say who deserves to die more. its a much more complicated matter than that, and its just one of those things you step back and go "i'm not going to get involved."

JoeysBoy

HSC
Ok. I see that I am getting metaphorically gangraped 3v1, so I recognise that this argument is no longer really valid... um... but anyway...

hipsta_jess said:
Sooo...say you had some scans and it turned out your child had some form of chromosomal abnormality, lets just say Trisomy 21 *cough* biomed study *cough* (Downs), would you be willing to bring a child into the world that was condemned to a life of hell?
My mum works with disabled kids... from almost normals... to the very severes (i.e. IQ of less then 30-25). Right down the spectrum, every child finds a sort of happiness. You can't judge a person by their disabilities... nor your perception of how they would stereotypically live. Even one of a child's parents (the girl is classed as severe) say they would have never have had an abortion (they were thinking of it) because they see the life that child has lived... with all the emotion and experiences she has had... even if they are, to us, very simple.

And Downs syndrome kids... relativly... *cough*... live a life... sorry for picking out that one example! :eek:

hipsta_jess said:
And, as for the mother dying, as some chick said on some show the other night, "whats the point of having a baby if theres no mother to take care of it?
Are you saying Fathers can't be as good as raising a child as a mother? :( Sorry if I misinterpret.

Natstar said:
You obviously dont understand becuase you are male.
And they say males are sexist? LOL! Mum has had to deal with many girls going through tough pregnancys... with me often there either in the room watching/listening, or hearing from the aftermath.

Don't judge me purely because I am male. I find it offensive...

JoeysBoy

HSC
Natstar said:
Not everyone is like this. And as I have said, there is no 100% effective method of preventing pregnancy. Even the most responsible person could get pregnant. So what are you suggesting, everyone stops having sex, and remain a virgin until they want a child? Get fucked.
There are 100% proof contraception methods. If you or your partner arn't willing to go down that path (i.e. Vascectemy (which IS reversable)), then you need to think about whether your half an hour pleasure in the bedroom is worth the murder you could potentially carry out.

JoeysBoy

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
nine year old

rape victim

pregnant

will die because her body is not ready to support a child

abortion yay or nay

generally i think most people who are anti-abortion are all well and good as long as they don't pass judgement and say who deserves to die more. its a much more complicated matter than that, and its just one of those things you step back and go "i'm not going to get involved."
You have a very good point. :) I can't answer this question though... and I don't think its for me to decide either. *Scratches head*

And I didn't think of this scenario! Though the majority of abortions are carried out by older people. (e.g. 16-x)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Vascectemy
wtf?.... its reversible with only micro-surgery..

its not just the disabled kids that get affected... there are studies indicating higher levels of mental illness with parents of disabled kids.. some ppl want choices...

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
JoeysBoy said:
You have a very good point. :) I can't answer this question though... and I don't think its for me to decide either. *Scratches head*

And I didn't think of this scenario! Though the majority of abortions are carried out by older people. (e.g. 16-x)
thanx :)

actually i always heard that majority of abortions are carried out by middle aged people say 35+ who have already had children, but that's just a random side note

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
pat.daly said:
And you have a choice... its just that one of the options is murder.
that's a really crap point seeing as you don't know if your child will have it until it's conceived.....

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
shortie_689 said:
I had to see a doctor and at the time I was working at a chicken shop and he put it down to all the hormones that chickens are fed can get into your system he beleived that that is y i didn't get mine
yeah except for the fact chickens haven't been given hormones in australia since the 60s or something... big myth (sorry being an ag student and having friends on chook farms make me outburst at things like that)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i think its rude and ignorant to say that a male doesnt have a right to an opinion on abortion issues simply because he isnt a woman so "he wouldnt know". he has a valid point, and whilst i support abortion in cases of rape or disease, i dont agree with the trend in abortion due to inconvenience, and i also think that there is no excuse for a young sexually actuve woman to not take precautions to not get pregnant if she isnt willing to carry the child. seriously, you can make all the excuses you like, but if you cant wear a condom then you deserve no sympathy if you fall pregnant.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
natstar said:
But we have argued that just becuase you take extream precautions, doesent automatically give you 100% protection. Even the Pill is not 100% effective. The only 100% effective measure is not having sex at all. But there is no reason people should stop having sex just becuase there is a chance they may get pregnant.
people talk on and on about the pill failing and the condom breaking etc, but the percentage of pregnancy from this happening is pretty much negligible. its used as an excuse for not being a responsible adult. i think that people shouldnt have sex until they are mature enough to be pro active enough to protect themselves from unwanted pregnancy.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
natstar said:
The the thread starter used protection, yet she still got pregnant. I agree that abortion shouldent be used as an excuse for people who dont use protection tho
i thought she was just late.

anyway, im not telling you to believe what i believe, i just think that the way that guy was treated for speaking his mind was appalling.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
natstar said:
I just didnt like the way he was calling it murder. It appaling to call someone a murderer
thats fair enough, but the high abortion rate is indicative of a dangerous, irresponsible mind set and i think this was what he was trying to convey, in so many words.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
JoeysBoy said:
There are 100% proof contraception methods. If you or your partner arn't willing to go down that path (i.e. Vascectemy)

The fact that you can't even spell it is a problem. And no, having an vasectomy is not a 100% guarantee against pregnancy.

I am very passionate about this issue and could go on for 300 posts pointing out every single flaw in the pro lifer's debate, so Im going to stay quite reserved from here on in in this thread because it could turn nasty. However I will re-iterate what Ive said before.

As humans, we have primal urges. Basic urges that we have instinctively, that we are BORN with. Sex is one of these basic human instincts.

The fundamental flaw in the preaching of abstinence (or "keeping your fucking pants on" as I believe someone here called it) is that you can't supress a basic human instinct. It's like eating and breathing, we do out of instinct to ensure we survive. You can tell a 16 year old girl to "keep her fucking pants on" as much as you like (a' la Catholic Schools) but at the end of the day her body is telling her to have sex, a very hard thing to abstain from.

In light of this, it is obvious the Ms 12 is against abstinence-only sex ed. I am very much for educating both girls and boys on the options out there should they choose to have sex in order to protect them from pregnancy and nasty diseases.

However, all the knowledge in the world will not 100% protect you from a condom breaking, a pill failing to supress ovulation, or a sterilisation procedure which for some reason or another does not prevent a pregnancy from occuring.

So where does that leave a girl? She has taken all the necessary precautions, and acted responsibly in order to satisfy a BASIC HUMAN URGE. What kind of life is a child going to have if its mother is kicked out of home because her parents are disgusted by her decision to have a child....this my friend is how the poverty cycle begins.

I am all for a woman's right to choose. As a male, you can never fully understand the gravity of pregnancy. As such, I don't think males have any right to a say in the abortion debate. Of course they will have opinions, but ultimately, you don't have (and never will) that knowledge so you don't have the right to make the decision. I guess its the same as circumcision if you want an example....I don't believe women have the right to an opinion about male circumcision because as women its not something we can ever fully understand.

Despite popular belief no one takes the decision to abort lightly. No one. It is a physically and emotionally painful decision that is made with every consideration given to the consequences of the decision.

Without the right to choice this country would be in a welfare crisis.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Its the same as stepping on an ant. If you've ever done that you're being hypocritical when you say abortion is murder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)