Prepping for B Arts (1 Viewer)

Hanataro

HSC
Hey everyone!

This is my first thread, please go easy on me. :wavey:

Anyways, I was just wondering what fresh, post-HSC students can do to help prepare for B Arts?
I've read in the 'General University Discussion' section that it would be a good idea to learn the APA and Harvard style of referencing.
Would you have any other advice? :)

Also, would it be possible to do an internal transfer from B Arts to B Arts/B Law at UNSW? (My back-up plan... really don't think I can get into law.)

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance! :D

HSC
Uni Grad
are you only just starting to study for uni????

damn.... you should've started uni study ages ago!

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Just enjoy your holidays.
There's not much you can and should do.
Learning referencing, sure, but that shouldn't take much time anyway.
I guess the one thing you can do, is to plan out what subjects you want to take for arts because there's quite a lot of choices especially for first year.
If you're unsure what you want to major in, you can pick a few major streams, since you wont have to decide until after first year if you pick the right subjects.
Most major streams (if not all) requires you to do 2 level 1 subjects for that major stream, usually 1 in first semester, and 1 in second semester, so its possible to be open for up to 4 different major streams after first year.

As for arts/law, thats definitely posssible depending on your ATAR.
Look https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/program_trans_Law.html for info.
Basically you'll need 70 or 75 WAM depending on your ATAR.

Hope this helps.

enoilgam

HSC
Hey everyone!

Anyways, I was just wondering what fresh, post-HSC students can do to help prepare for B Arts?
I've read in the 'General University Discussion' section that it would be a good idea to learn the APA and Harvard style of referencing.

Also, would it be possible to do an internal transfer from B Arts to B Arts/B Law at UNSW? (My back-up plan... really don't think I can get into law.)

You should use these holidays to relax - there isnt much you can do anyway unless you need to do bridging courses for your degree. Doing prep work now is craziness.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
prepping for arts? get a macbook pro/air, get an ipad and #occupysydney

HSC
Uni Grad
Of all the cool, awesome and epic characters, you choose...hanataro?

Best to identify what you wanna get out of the program and what courses will be best for you.
If you're super enthusiastic you can start reading the texts earlier and reading up on related materials.

Dunno about your chances for transfer, you'd probably have to go pretty damn well which is (most likely) very easy in first year.

Hanataro

HSC
Just enjoy your holidays.
There's not much you can and should do.
Learning referencing, sure, but that shouldn't take much time anyway.
I guess the one thing you can do, is to plan out what subjects you want to take for arts because there's quite a lot of choices especially for first year.
If you're unsure what you want to major in, you can pick a few major streams, since you wont have to decide until after first year if you pick the right subjects.
Most major streams (if not all) requires you to do 2 level 1 subjects for that major stream, usually 1 in first semester, and 1 in second semester, so its possible to be open for up to 4 different major streams after first year.

As for arts/law, thats definitely posssible depending on your ATAR.
Look https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/program_trans_Law.html for info.
Basically you'll need 70 or 75 WAM depending on your ATAR.

Hope this helps.
Are all the subjects available for B Arts in the UAC guide? I think I'll sort out my subjects from there, or the UNSW site.
So, to be able to transfer, I'll need to have a minimum ATAR of 95. >_<

Thanks, Tim! You've helped me heaps. :D

Hanataro

HSC
You should use these holidays to relax - there isnt much you can do anyway unless you need to do bridging courses for your degree. Doing prep work now is craziness.
I only meant doing small things that would better prepare me, like reading a certain text, learning how to reference correctly, etc.
I definitely won't be doing any serious study! xD

Thanks for the heads up, enoilgam! :)

Hanataro

HSC
But I just got a TOSHIBA! Aww man... Haha >_<
How would a Macbook or an iPad help an Arts student more than a Windows laptop?

Love the hash-tag btw. Thanks for the advice, Mature Lamb! :)

Hanataro

HSC
Of all the cool, awesome and epic characters, you choose...hanataro?

Best to identify what you wanna get out of the program and what courses will be best for you.
If you're super enthusiastic you can start reading the texts earlier and reading up on related materials.

Dunno about your chances for transfer, you'd probably have to go pretty damn well which is (most likely) very easy in first year.
But Hanataro IS a cool, awesome and epic character, isn't he? Well I think he is. He needs more screen time! xD

I can look at all the courses I can do for Arts in the UAC guide, right?
What are some of the texts / related materials I can start to read?

Yeah, I know. From what I've read, I'd need a 95+ ATAR then get credit/distinction averages in my first year. >_<

Thanks for the tips, Phoenix! Protoss ftw. :)

HSC
Uni Grad
Ah, I meant subjects, Arts I understand to be a pretty free / elective based program (though you probably need an area to major in).

Basically if you know what subjects you'll be doing, or have a fair idea (uni site probably has a page outlining your program and links to what each subject within it involves), might mention required texts if you want to have a look at those or even just background stuff related to what subjects you have in first sem.

Thing is you might not necessarily do those subjects until second semester depending on how many people are in your course and what subjects the majority are going for.

My life for Auir!

UAI4EVA

HSC
N/A
are you only just starting to study for uni????

damn.... you should've started uni study ages ago!
haha!

I agree, mature lamb. Learn how to be trendy. Don't hate on the OS movement. Everyone has a right to speak out for something they believe in.

Referencing is easy. A simple google search will tell you how to reference correctly. Also, if you have a recent edition of MS word, you should be able to insert references in APA, Chicago, MLA, Turabian style. The computer will do the work for you and compile a reference list at the end.

izzy88

HSC
you won't find the subjects in the UAC guide. The subjects available in a B Arts will be available on the university website for whichever uni you want to go to. Generally there will be a arts faculty handbook available for download which lists individual subjects and what you can major in.

I doubt there's much point in learning a particular referencing guide. You will find that individual departments, subjects, even lecturers will want different ways of referencing for essays - some may follow Harvard style, some might not, some may have their own department guide (this was the most common for me - I don't think I ever did Harvard referencing). To be honest, some lecturers are relaxed, so that as long as you are consistent in whatever style you use throughout the essay, and its clear and easy to understand, they don't care what particular type you use.

Enjoy your holidays. Look through subject guides if you like to see what subjects you may want to do for pre-enrolment, but most uni subjects don't assume much knowledge. If you want to do English and they list books in the subject outline, then sure, pick up a copy and give it a go. But it's not necessary, and you can get HDs without any prep before semester starts.

Deathless

HSC
Hey everyone!

You should do nothing but relax. It's arts. This means essays. This means for good grades you only need research and a well-written piece on your allocated question. Enjoy your holidays!

Hanataro

HSC
you need to start dressing like a hipster too
What's a "hipster"? Do you mean hippie?

you won't find the subjects in the UAC guide. The subjects available in a B Arts will be available on the university website for whichever uni you want to go to. Generally there will be a arts faculty handbook available for download which lists individual subjects and what you can major in.

I doubt there's much point in learning a particular referencing guide. You will find that individual departments, subjects, even lecturers will want different ways of referencing for essays - some may follow Harvard style, some might not, some may have their own department guide (this was the most common for me - I don't think I ever did Harvard referencing). To be honest, some lecturers are relaxed, so that as long as you are consistent in whatever style you use throughout the essay, and its clear and easy to understand, they don't care what particular type you use.

Enjoy your holidays. Look through subject guides if you like to see what subjects you may want to do for pre-enrolment, but most uni subjects don't assume much knowledge. If you want to do English and they list books in the subject outline, then sure, pick up a copy and give it a go. But it's not necessary, and you can get HDs without any prep before semester starts.
Hmm yeah, I was going through my UAC guide and thought it wasn't detailed enough. I feel like I need to consult with an Arts student.
I read online the UNSW Handbook for B Arts. It only made me more confused, lol. Gaah, still so new to all the university terms and talk, haha.

Thank you for all the tips! You've really helped heaps. Really glad reading that it's possible to achieve HDs without prep work before semester starts.
Thanks again! :D

seems like you're going to UNSW, so knock yourself out :p
basically you need to pick a major stream, and a minor stream,
or you can do 2 major streams.
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2012/3403.html
Thank you, Timothy. You seem to know a lot about the course and how it all works. I really, really need to talk to you, haha. (I'm so confused after reading the UNSW B Arts Handbook) >_<

So, would it be possible if I choose to study 2 majors? For example, major in BOTH Economics and International Business? Would I be able to ALSO minor in Korean Studies or Chinese Studies as well? (I really want to learn a new language at the end of my whole, 'university experience'.

You should do nothing but relax. It's arts. This means essays. This means for good grades you only need research and a well-written piece on your allocated question. Enjoy your holidays!
Thank you! Really glad to know, hehe. I shall! :) :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)