Prestige or the course? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ar7

HSC
Regarding my own personal experience of both unis from the open days i attended, without a doubt i prefered USYD. IF I don't get into med, then comm/law at usyd is the obvious option, above comm/law at unsw in which i am already guaranteed a spot (much like you, i got nominated by my school). Of course, I have been offered a merit scholarship for the school of business at usyd haha so thats an easy decision.
How do you shift courses from med (a more scientific course) into comm/law (a more social science course) so nonchalant? if ur interested in med wouldnt u hav med(usyd), med(unsw), etc... as ur preferences? or r u simply undertaking courses that are prestigious?

NewiJapper

HSC
Think about it.

School that resembles Hogwarts?

School that resembles Beijing?

I know which one I would go to...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
It's your undergrad, prestige counts for squat. Go to the uni that YOU actually like more, whether due to convenience, campus, social life, drink prices at the bar etc.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Science faculty (natural sciences) is ranked better on QS in USyd. I don't know specifically about maths though.

Thecorey0

HSC
I go to UNSW and am quite happy with it. I have a few friends doing Advanced maths, and they have no complaints at all. Another thing to say, at UNSW, you can't major in 'mathematics' in Advanced Science, only 'mathematical physics'. You can do it in the straight science though. UNSW also has great prices on alcohol. $2.50 beers and $3 vodkas for happy hour.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't drink alcohol - it causes horrible things... like pregnancy. =P

Still, I don't know. Less than a month to figure it out. And mathematics is in the science faculty anyway.

EDIT: Also thanks thecorey, I didn't notice that! There goes UNSW Science down one preference... and MQ Adv Science goes to #4!

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Wow retards caring about prestige in relation to UNSW/USYD. Fucking ridiculous. Listen to maycat and stop being ridiculous
It's your undergrad, prestige counts for squat. Go to the uni that YOU actually like more, whether due to convenience, campus, social life, drink prices at the bar etc.
And let me tell you, half of you that are aiming for 'social life' at uni will probably never end up doing anything.

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
UNSW has more asians so of course it is better for maths. The science faculty at USYD looks pretty shit imo.

hahaha
I can wholeheartedly say every course USYD offers > every course UWS offers except for medicine.

iTz Osky

HSC
How do you shift courses from med (a more scientific course) into comm/law (a more social science course) so nonchalant? if ur interested in med wouldnt u hav med(usyd), med(unsw), etc... as ur preferences? or r u simply undertaking courses that are prestigious?
haha obviously you don't know me then... I have med at syd, unsw, uws, and newcastle, all BEFOFE usyd comm/law. I have also had interviews at monash and uwa for med. Nowadays, medicine isn't necessarily classified as a "scientific course", rather it is an integrated program that deals with human interaction etc etc. To be frank, I am not somebody who is too bothered with the sciences - rather, i have sat down and thought long and hard about what i want to do with my life, and in my opinion there is nothing better than to be out there, constantly engaging with the community for its amelioration.

The only reason why I have put comm/law after med is, as I said, my passivity regarding the sciences. I don't have any preferences after med, and for me comm/law seems like an option that would open up many career paths. Also, if I fail to get into undergrad med, my plan is to do comm/law, with the view of doing graduate medicine through the GAMSAT, seeing as I have gotten a guaranteed 6000 dollars a year, rising to 10000. There is actually no specified courses that need to be taken to enter through the GAMSAT, and comm/law seems much more interesting than advanced science, for example. I have always been more interested in the humanities, and, contrary to your belief that med is a scientific course, it in fact offers a huge humanities component.

Also, you will note that in this thread alone I have expressed my opinion that the prestigiousness of a course should NOT be a deciding factor on where you go to.

So please, in the future try not to "umbrella" someone you don't know under a category of "undertaking courses that are prestigious". You need to appreciate that these are well thought out, well rationed decisions that have taken a long time to come to.

Rant over =)

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
haha obviously you don't know me then... I have med at syd, unsw, uws, and newcastle, all BEFOFE usyd comm/law. I have also had interviews at monash and uwa for med. Nowadays, medicine isn't necessarily classified as a "scientific course", rather it is an integrated program that deals with human interaction etc etc. To be frank, I am not somebody who is too bothered with the sciences - rather, i have sat down and thought long and hard about what i want to do with my life, and in my opinion there is nothing better than to be out there, constantly engaging with the community for its amelioration.

The only reason why I have put comm/law after med is, as I said, my passivity regarding the sciences. I don't have any preferences after med, and for me comm/law seems like an option that would open up many career paths. Also, if I fail to get into undergrad med, my plan is to do comm/law, with the view of doing graduate medicine through the GAMSAT, seeing as I have gotten a guaranteed 6000 dollars a year, rising to 10000. There is actually no specified courses that need to be taken to enter through the GAMSAT, and comm/law seems much more interesting than advanced science, for example. I have always been more interested in the humanities, and, contrary to your belief that med is a scientific course, it in fact offers a huge humanities component.

Also, you will note that in this thread alone I have expressed my opinion that the prestigiousness of a course should NOT be a deciding factor on where you go to.

So please, in the future try not to "umbrella" someone you don't know under a category of "undertaking courses that are prestigious". You need to appreciate that these are well thought out, well rationed decisions that have taken a long time to come to.

Rant over =)
not liking sciences and doing med

Ferox

HSC
If you want to do maths, go for it. Don't choose your second course preference just because your friend thinks his university is more "prestigious". (That's BS anyway; UNSW is highly regarded when it comes to the sciences.)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think it was 'prestige' along with social life, vibe and many other things.

Still, I'm not sure. I might go to the... Open Day and figure something out. I just hate that all of the ones relevant to me are on the same day <_<

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A

Rant over =)
If you think med has more to do with humanities you are so misguided and have done no research. Med is 80% science I would say. I have nothing against your choices but you should do some more research before making grand assumptions about a course.

iTz Osky

HSC
If you think med has more to do with humanities you are so misguided and have done no research. Med is 80% science I would say. I have nothing against your choices but you should do some more research before making grand assumptions about a course.
i have not said med has more to do with humanities, i have merely stated that it offers a huge humanities component, which is completely true. Every single interview i have been to, there has been a tremendous focus on interaction skills etc. Like I said, I do NOT mind the science component, I was merely validating my statement when it was obvious that guy was having a go at me. I don't see anything wrong with having comm/law as my 5th choice, do you? Trust me when I say I have done heaps of research, without yourself making "grand assumptions" about someone else. I understand the science component of med, and I do not mind it, for the self satisfaction it brings of continual improvement and patient wellbeing.

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
i have not said med has more to do with humanities, i have merely stated that it offers a huge humanities component, which is completely true. Every single interview i have been to, there has been a tremendous focus on interaction skills etc. Like I said, I do NOT mind the science component, I was merely validating my statement when it was obvious that guy was having a go at me. I don't see anything wrong with having comm/law as my 5th choice, do you? Trust me when I say I have done heaps of research, without yourself making "grand assumptions" about someone else. I understand the science component of med, and I do not mind it, for the self satisfaction it brings of continual improvement and patient wellbeing.
By humanities you mean interacting with people then yes. If you don't enjoy science especially biology you won't like the course because the course itself doesn't let you get into humanities on a regular basis until 3rd year +. Comm/law requires a totally different set of thinking and perception that's why people who wouldn't mind doing comm/law wouldn't make great doctors in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)