• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Proposed changes to the Mathematics syllabus: Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Hopefully adding statistics will be actually implemented in the syllabus. No-one really has an idea of statistics until they get to first or 2nd years of uni, and the uni's like to throw you into the deep end.

As for linear algebra I'd like it to also be on the syllabus but I'd be worried if there's too much content to cover.

If only the HSC had separate subjects called Calculus, Linear Algebra and Statistics, then I'd love to take them on, and you can learn everything more in depth.

leehuan

HSC
But calculus is literally everything in maths (in that sense)

They still do have algebra, complex numbers
Calculus effectively assumes continuity.

You'd be surprised as to how many things algebra addresses that doesn't overlap into calculus

And then you have things such as discrete maths

(In my opinion, complex numbers is the deepest end the HSC goes with algebra)

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Hopefully adding statistics will be actually implemented in the syllabus. No-one really has an idea of statistics until they get to first or 2nd years of uni, and the uni's like to throw you into the deep end.

As for linear algebra I'd like it to also be on the syllabus but I'd be worried if there's too much content to cover.

If only the HSC had separate subjects called Calculus, Linear Algebra and Statistics, then I'd love to take them on, and you can learn everything more in depth.
The new syllabus is expected to include statistics.

But braintic had a point when he said he was doubting when it'd get implemented in my opinion

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Just wondering but when do you learn about integrating a bell curve in statistics at uni?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I know what calculus meant, I meant what did you mean by the 'everything in maths' part.
Like how most of the maths courses are based on calculus (honestly don't know 100% coz I haven't looked into 4U yet but am looking into it)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Like how most of the maths courses are based on calculus (honestly don't know 100% coz I haven't looked into 4U yet but am looking into it)
Oh, yeah the HSC maths courses (2U and up) are mostly calculus-based. Linear algebra got removed several decades ago I believe.

leehuan

HSC
Thank goodness induction and binomial probability still exist.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Most people are terrible at induction. You're supposed to traverse from the proposition of the n th statement to the n+1 th statement, not the other way around.

To use the domino analogy, it's like knocking over the n+1 th domino then going back to see if it was possible for the n th domino to knock over the n+1 th domino. It's a terrible execution method of induction and causes unnecessary confusion among students.

As for binomial probability... well, my opinion on probability holds for all topics in probability

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
What does Linear Algebra exactly mean? For some reason it reminds me of straight lines and coordinate geometry LOL

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
What does Linear Algebra exactly mean? For some reason it reminds me of straight lines and coordinate geometry LOL
"Linear algebra is the branch of mathematics concerning vector spaces and linear mappings between such spaces. It includes the study of lines, planes, and subspaces, but is also concerned with properties common to all vector spaces."

(From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_algebra)

leehuan

HSC
Should be easy if you know your physics
That's only elementary vectors. When you have to consider planes in a fourth dimension it already becomes harder to visualise (let alone the 10th). Also the parametric equations for planes and stuff, whilst they are now intuitive, took me a LONG time to get my head around.

All that notation about line segments and stuff... bleh

Knowing my physics only got me through the first two lectures without any struggle whatsoever

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)