Psychology Honours - ATAR?? (1 Viewer)

Mel96

HSC
The ATAR cut off for this course at Macquarie was 94.05 last year.. I am expecting an ATAR of around 90-92. Do you think there is a decent chance that I could still get into this course with a lower ATAR, possibly in later rounds? Also, have you or do you know anybody who has been accepted into this course with an ATAR lower than the cut off?
Thanks if you can help.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Haha, that's my exact goal for uni. Anyway back to OP.

I don't think you can get in with a lower ATAR and I don't know anyone who actually achieved that. However, you might get a higher ATAR and reach your goal since you haven't got it yet. But yeah, just hope for the best. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mel96

HSC
Thanks, yeah I'll just have to hope. I hope you achieve it too!

madharris

HSC
N/A
Even if you don't get into Psych (honours), there are still other things you can do such as masters, so don't worry too much if you don't get into it.
You'd still need roughly the same GPA to get into the masters course as you would need to maintain your position in the psych (honours) course anyway.
My friend got in with a 90 star, however she was able to get 5 bonus points due to living rurally and such.

Have you looked at the bonus points schemes and seen if you're eligible for them?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Even if you don't get into Psych (honours), there are still other things you can do such as masters, so don't worry too much if you don't get into it.
You'd still need roughly the same GPA to get into the masters course as you would need to maintain your position in the psych (honours) course anyway.
My friend got in with a 90 star, however she was able to get 5 bonus points due to living rurally and such.

Have you looked at the bonus points schemes and seen if you're eligible for them?
You can't get bonus points for this degree apparently according to the Macquarie uni website.

http://www.mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/bonus_points/academic_advantage/

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mel96

HSC
I don't think I'd be eligible for bonus points either way. That's true about the possibility of doing a masters, so I guess there are other options. Thanks

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
They offer honors based upon ATAR scores??

I thought it was maintaining a certain GPA or WAM in your undergraduate studies, then doing an honours.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Nar, they're talking about the named degree B. Psych (Hons). In this case the honours component is built into the undergraduate program, though you still need to meet the same GPA requirements to enter the honours year as those who undertake it separately to their undergraduate program.

Masters as an alternative path if you don't get into a B.Psych (Hons) is ridiculous. Just get into a BA or BSci, major in Psych and meet the requirements to gain entrance to honours at the end. This path is accredited by the APAC in exactly the same way as B. Psych (Hons)

These honours degrees are so poorly understood by commencing students. You guys need to realise that you don't need to do a degree with 'honours' in the title to be able to do honours!

ag12

HSC
N/A
Ditto what -may-cat says. The Hons bit in the title just means it's set up as a 4 yr degree, but wherever you go and whatever major route in Psych you take you need the same GPA (or WAM, whatever) to get into Hons. Some places have a quota on Hons (USyd I think for example) so you don't actually know what the target is to get in from year to year. Other places (UNSW, for example) have a cut-off mark so at least you know what to aim for. But the main point is it doesn't matter if you do an accredited Psych major as part of a BPsych(Hons), part of BA, BSc, BPsychSc - in all cases you will need to pass some hurdle (and it will be the same for all majors) and then you can get into Hons. If you don't make it into Hons, even in a 4 yr Hons course, you will be transferred to a three year degree (like a standard BSc or BA) and will graduate without Hons. But conversely both BA and BSc can let you move to Hons if you get the marks and you'd graduate with BSc(Hons) or BA(Hons). There really is no difference between 3yr and 4yr degrees as long as the three year degree has a route into Hons (which all do). If you want a professional masters in Psych you need a Psych hons or the equivalent (e.g. UMelb offers a postgrad diploma that is Hons equivalent), otherwise you can't get on the course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)