• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Questions about the school certificate (1 Viewer)

HSC
the sc is so hard, i studied all year, 8 hours a day, and didnt win. Its basically like doing uni in year 10, its harder than the hsc, which you can win, by studying the night before for
i think saying shit wont help me dude.... get your act together yehh totally sc harder then hsc hahahah LOLZ

LoneWolf1990

HSC
The SC is nothing to worry about ok? The real test comes two years afterwords and since you're 'The Chosen One' you have to bring balance to the force by studying your ass off and scoring that band 6, that is where you must use the force. I mean there is a reason why you often hear about the HSC on the news when the exams are on.

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
Not hard! If you must study just study for it 1 or 2 days before the exam.

Brontecat

HSC
Just pay attention and make sure you know what the teacher is talking about. Summarise according to the syllabus + do past paper from a few years ago.

Its only year 10, but I get that you want to do well.

Good luck :)
perfect advice it's exactly what i did

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I will confess: School Certificate has to be the most useless set of tests.

Whatever you get in this test does not define how academically inclined you are.

studentcheese

HSC
The school certificate is easy in comparison to the trials that your school will give you. The most important thing to remember for the school certificate is to:

- Get a good night sleep
- Keep track of time. You will finish, but you will need time to recheck.
- Make sure your writing makes sense. Do not ramble. Get straight to the point. There is no point in flashy introductions in the beggining of your answers.
- Do past papers - I cannot stress this enough. This is much more important than your study notes. Doing more past papers will increase your familiarity with the types of questions that they are going to ask
- Common knowledge
- Be concise in your answers: Write only what you need to. Try to support your claims with evidence, but don't make it too long
- For English: be original. Endings should not be cliche. Language, grammar, fluency and punctuation are more important than what you actually write. For your multiple choice, your first impression is usually 99% correct. DO NOT change answers unless you are sure that it is wrong. Do not over think the questions.
- For Maths: it is a relatively easy test. You do not need to memorise any formulas as they give you all of them. The most important point here is to practice from your past papers. Take care of silly mistakes, and remember to keep rechecking. There are some shortcuts to doing some questions. Do not be afraid of using them.
- For Science: Practice past papers. Remember the key points to each topic. Know your verbs like analyse, discuss, etc. Understand what the question is asking to structure your answer according to the meaning of the verbs. If it says to assess, that is to make a judgement of something. DO NOT write everything you know. Answer the question.
- history and geography: for multiple choice, try to study the key points to each topic, but for the extended response, you need to know some more detail for this section. What I did was listed some possible essay questions and I wrote points under each question. For the sources in history, OBSERVE different perspectives and corners of the source. Know what is meant by reliable, usefulness, and biased.
- computers: Practice from past papers. Very easy test.

Good luck. Don't stress yourself out too much. Study two weeks before the exam and you should be fine. I got all Band 6's except for a Band 5 :( but it's still pretty good :D

Official

Bring it on
HSC
The school certificate is easy in comparison to the trials that your school will give you. The most important thing to remember for the school certificate is to:

- Get a good night sleep
- Keep track of time. You will finish, but you will need time to recheck.
- Make sure your writing makes sense. Do not ramble. Get straight to the point. There is no point in flashy introductions in the beggining of your answers.
- Do past papers - I cannot stress this enough. This is much more important than your study notes. Doing more past papers will increase your familiarity with the types of questions that they are going to ask
- Common knowledge
- Be concise in your answers: Write only what you need to. Try to support your claims with evidence, but don't make it too long
- For English: be original. Endings should not be cliche. Language, grammar, fluency and punctuation are more important than what you actually write. For your multiple choice, your first impression is usually 99% correct. DO NOT change answers unless you are sure that it is wrong. Do not over think the questions.
- For Maths: it is a relatively easy test. You do not need to memorise any formulas as they give you all of them. The most important point here is to practice from your past papers. Take care of silly mistakes, and remember to keep rechecking. There are some shortcuts to doing some questions. Do not be afraid of using them.
- For Science: Practice past papers. Remember the key points to each topic. Know your verbs like analyse, discuss, etc. Understand what the question is asking to structure your answer according to the meaning of the verbs. If it says to assess, that is to make a judgement of something. DO NOT write everything you know. Answer the question.
- history and geography: for multiple choice, try to study the key points to each topic, but for the extended response, you need to know some more detail for this section. What I did was listed some possible essay questions and I wrote points under each question. For the sources in history, OBSERVE different perspectives and corners of the source. Know what is meant by reliable, usefulness, and biased.
- computers: Practice from past papers. Very easy test.

Good luck. Don't stress yourself out too much. Study two weeks before the exam and you should be fine. I got all Band 6's except for a Band 5 :( but it's still pretty good :D
That's some good advice right there. I will make use of it ;)

x-Manda-x

HSC
The SC isn't that difficult, multiple choice and extended responses. All it requires you to do is go to class, pay attention in class and understand the work being done in class. Seriously piece of cake :)

But if you feel you need the extra help, do some past papers (as others have advised) but it is not necessary to have a 'study timetable', like there is no need to study for each subject 3 hours a week. The work in class will get you by.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
The SC isn't that difficult, multiple choice and extended responses. All it requires you to do is go to class, pay attention in class and understand the work being done in class. Seriously piece of cake :)

But if you feel you need the extra help, do some past papers (as others have advised) but it is not necessary to have a 'study timetable', like there is no need to study for each subject 3 hours a week. The work in class will get you by.
lol, what do you know? You are only Year 10 yourself.

studentcheese

HSC
duh. You start your past papers a week before the exam. Don't study at all now! ;)Absolutely no need. You will call yourself an idiot later on. It's really easy, in addition, marks get aligned up heaps :D

btw, if you look back at many 2010ers old posts, you will notice that heaps of us have been asking questions like the 2011ers are asking now. After the SC, most of us have realised how pointless that exam was. It doesn't affect anything.

Sure, study, but don't burn yourself out.

Limey

HSC
You're so worried about the school certificate and it's March - it makes me think, should I be?! Should I start doing past papers every weekend to ensure & maximise success? Was I stupid thinking my assessments have been too easy so far? What if I missed the point completely! I mean, I do most of my homework, understand everything in class and look over stuff on the weekend but is it enough?!?!?!?

But then again, I'm not thinking that. I'm enjoying year 10 for the moment*.:hippie:

*Probably because Geography starts next semester.

aimhigh10

HSC
Simple common sense

1- Go to all your classes, don't ditch.
2- Listen in those classes, take notes.
3- (this is only for the super dedicated) Go over those notes when you get home from school.
4- Don't leave assessments to the last minute.
5- Get plenty of sleep.
6- When it comes to exams, go over those notes again with a little more care.
7- Do a past paper for each subject.
pretty much sums it up - great advice :)
and dont stress!!!!!! its only year 10, its the last year you can enjoy
so dont stress about it even if it seems like it is the biggest thing on earth,
it really isnt.
Just follow the steps by may-cat above,
and you'll go great :D

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You're so worried about the school certificate and it's March - it makes me think, should I be?! Should I start doing past papers every weekend to ensure & maximise success? Was I stupid thinking my assessments have been too easy so far? What if I missed the point completely! I mean, I do most of my homework, understand everything in class and look over stuff on the weekend but is it enough?!?!?!?

But then again, I'm not thinking that. I'm enjoying year 10 for the moment*.:hippie:

*Probably because Geography starts next semester.

Year 10 work is trivial. Yr 10 maths is a joke! If I were a Yr 10 student, what I would do is to, on my own, do a bit of acceleration. I'm familiar only with Maths. Do 5.3, on your own if necessary. If you have already done this, go into some topics in yr11 work, whilst you are having such a relaxing pace in Yr10. Whatever accelerated work you do in Yr10 will help lessen your learning load when you get into Yrs 11 & 12, especially 12. If you do so you won't regret it. As a tutor, I've seen so many students struggling especially in Yr12; I often wondered out loud to them - why didn't you put in some extra work in Yrs 9 & 10; but unfortunately you can't wind back the clock.

Last edited:

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Dont worry about the SC. It is in November and you guys are worrying now? The SC isn't important, and I'm sure you will do better than you expect. I got all Band 6's but one Band 5 in the SC and look at me now.. I am aiming for 59 UAI :D THe SC doesn't affect you in any way. Just listen in class more, and study before the test. It's an easy test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you get through by bullshitting! :)

luv2luvurmama

HSC
Ok, Ill give you a tip you fuck-wit.
Get your fucking ass off this fucking website and read some fucking books you fucking piece of shit
How else do you think you're going to do well you faggot!

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Even though I haven't done my school certificate and am doing it this year, I don't plan to do much study.
After school, I'd go over my work from the previous day and on the day. Occasionally I'd go on those School Certificate multiple choice test things on the net and do those.

hmm4991

HSC
TRUST ME afteryear 10 no body ever even remembers the school certificate.

they couldnt care less abt how u go ( maybe ur school might use it to grade u in ur classes for yr 11 ) but other than that no one cares

It seems like a big deal to u now, understandable, my advice just relax and do what u keep doing just make more of an effort to revise the stuff u've learnt and just do a couple of past papers to get practice and just a feel for how it might be when ur doing the actual thing

oh and have something to look forward to after ur SC like a party or a movie marathon or something

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I did about 1 week of solid study right before the SC.. pretty much wasted my time... its more general knowledge, nothing more... HSC is nothing like SC.... (no past experience or anything) but the stuff you learn in prelim and hsc is extreme stuff....

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
The School Certificate seemed pretty big at the time.... I put in a fair amount of study but I did have a little voice saying "This doesn't even mean anything!". I did solid study and it paid off okay.

There is no need to go too well in the SC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)