• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Questions to People With a Religion/No Religion. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Question 1:
Do you believe in a God? Which Religion?

No.

Question 2:
Do you believe it's okay for people to be having Sex under the Age of 18?(protectetion)

Yes.

Question 3:
Do you believe it's okay to have Sex with someone you have no Intention of marrying? (protection/no protection)

Yes.

Question 4:
Do you believe in evolution? What aspects? Other theories about the Creation of Mankind?

In the same way I believe in gravity.

Question 5:
Are you open minded to "Evidence" of either "God being Real" or "God not being Real"? depending on your existing beliefs.

Yes. I was always an atheist, and there have been times when I have believed in God.

Question 6:
Have you ever contemplated suicide?

Thought about my own death, but never contemplated suicide.

Question 7almost done)
Do you believe in legalising Drugs?/or Drugs being optional?

Yes.

Question 8:
Do you believe in the Death Sentence? (capital punishment? under what circumstances)

No.

Question 9:
Are you fine with homosexualism?

Yes.

Question 10:
Would you sacrifice your life for a cause? (list a few)

No. Not to say that I never would, but currently there is nothing I would die for.

Question 11: (final)
Have you considered any of the other religious beliefs? seriously?

Sort of. I was raised Catholic, but stopped believing early in primary school. That's the closest I've come to believing in any organised religion. Since then I've held many different 'spiritual' beliefs that I came up with myself. Currently believe there is no god, but am willing to be proven wrong.

HSC
N/A
Question 1:
No

Question 2:
Do you believe it's okay for people to be having Sex under the Age of 18?(protectetion)
Yes, as long as they are both in the same age range.

Question 3:
Do you believe it's okay to have Sex with someone you have no Intention of marrying? (protection/no protection)
Yes

Question 4:
Do you believe in evolution? What aspects? Other theories about the Creation of Mankind?
Evolution makes more sense to me than religious theories.

Question 5:
Are you open minded to "Evidence" of either "God being Real" or "God not being Real"? depending on your existing beliefs.
It would have to be extremely concrete and undeniable evidence for me to consider it. But yes, I suppose I can make myself open minded to it.

Question 6:
Not seriously.

Question 7:(almost done)
Yes

Question 8:
Do you believe in the Death Sentence? (capital punishment? under what circumstances)
No

Question 9:
Yes

Question 10:
I don't think I would for a cause, but definately for family or someone I care about a lot.

I have not considered actually following a particular religion, but I have been interested in reading about various religious beliefs.

xoxo

HSC
Question 1:

catholic

Question 2:

yeh i guess

Question 3:
if its made clear

Question 4:

i dunno...in some ways there is just so much evidence supporting it...n then other ways, i belive that some higher being did...

Question 5:

yeh definitely

Question 6:
Have you ever contemplated suicide
?
not realli

nope

Question 8:

i dont think there shood b a death penalty AT ALL...no matter what heinous crime they have committed

Question 9:

yep..if thats wat they wanna do thats fine with me...its love...no matter if its with a girl or guy...just as long as its not with me im all for it

Question 10:

im gonna have to be selfish n say no

Have you considered any of the other religious beliefs? seriously

nah not really

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Question 1:
No.

Question 2:
Yes, regardless of their gender or their partners gender. And protection or not is their choice, I think if they freely choose not to use it that is OK.

Question 3:
As above.

Question 4:
Believe is the wrong word it implies a leap of faith and a lack of evidence. I find the theory of evolution to be fact, to the exclusion of all other theories and beliefs surrounding the creation of man (and life generally).

Question 5:
I am open-minded to the extent that if God could be proven to exist then I would acknowledge that. As it stands I find him comprehensively proven not to exist.

Question 6:
No.

Question 7:
Yes, as a basic principle.

Question 8:
Do you believe in the Death Sentence? (capital punishment? under what circumstances).
Yes, under extreme circumstances and incontrovertable proof.

Question 9:
Are you fine with homosexualism[sic]?
Yes.

Question 10:
Yes; Country, Loved ones.

Yes, I have considered the concept of religion and beliefs generally and found them lacking plausibility and thus am an aethiest with agnostic leanings because perhaps there is something, though I am neither looking nor hoping for there to be. And as a note I was raised anglican and attended church until I was given the choice not too.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
ujuphleg said:
He teaches Mathematics.
Xayma said:
His profile indicates English/History. Which considering one of his favourite books is the bible is quite iffy, the prose in that possibly only beats the works of Dan Brown.
My bad, you're right. I don't know why I thought Maths... I think I got him mixed up. But yes, for the record, he teaches English and Modern History at HSC Level.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
MissSavage29 said:
Question 8:
no i dont believe anyone has the right to take someone elses life
Another interesting question to followwould be views on Euthanasia too...

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Question 1:
Not a God, I don't see why it has to be given a specific name and property, I believe in non-religion
Question 2:
Do you believe it's okay for people to be having Sex under the Age of 18?
Absolutely. As long as it is consentual and we safe it's fine by me.
Question 3:
Of course. Practice makes perfect.
Question 4:
Yes, I believe people must have to force themselves to believe in God, because they doubt nature and science and believe that a person (or a similar form) must have created it.
Question 5:
God not being real. If there is God then are there also Unicorns? God and Heaven/Hell are a concept people use to create peace with themselves for not accepting mortality.
Question 6:
Probably, I have felt very depressed at some times and may have contemplated it. I would only consider it in dire circumstances.
Question 7:
Yes, because at the moment more deaths are made out of dodgy products and at least legalising cannibis can possibly dent its usage (Look at The Netherlands)
Question 8:
Absolutely not, it's the easy way out. In some countries it sickens me how people are killed for trivial and ridiculous reasons (mostly attributed to religion).
Question 9:
I'm a living example, I absolutely love being gay after years of once regretting it. I can't understand why people think its immoral when it has been around forever and humans and animals obviously be equipped for it, so why God does not endorse it, I do not know.
Question 10:
Nothing, My life is my only reason for being here and the only thing that is actually mine and I plan to live it to the full and cherish it as much as possible.
I may dabble in Spirituality (Kabbalah, Buddhist chanting, Meditation, Voodoo) but find no reason to brand myself as being in a religion.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
ur_inner_child said:
Another interesting question to followwould be views on Euthanasia too...
Indeed.
I personally support euthanaisa for the terminally ill. If it is the person's wish, why deny them the opportunity?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Generator said:
It would be nice (and academically sound) if those contributing had some idea as to what your agenda, sam04u. Is there anything in particular that you are trying to prove, or are you just exploring what you consider to be the 'rise of atheism'?
Oh, well I would have elaborated when the questions had arisen, but at risk of not infecting the topic. (I tried hard to ask questions in a way in which the responses would be as close to true. Trying not to link the ideas to anything being portrayed by the media by choosing words which were not usually associated with the topic.)

Then, I began looking for trends, and most importantly... opinions which were more different to the rest of the group.

The idea was finding the stance (on a very, un-defensive approach) of "Atheist/Agnostic" people on alot of the situations we're facing now.

Basically, It's quite obvious that a few 'HEAVY' contradictory ideas became obvious. (almost immediately).
Question 9, and Question 10.

But, the data is still not completed. By the end I will have a better understanding of how these ideas collate.

Alot, of general ideas have come up. But, non convincing enough.
(Generally though, non-religious people don't care how other people run their lives from what I can see. By the support for homosexuality, drug-abuse, unplanned pregnancies, and i'm guessing almost anything else.)

This isn't a strike on the group. Just one 'Assumption". I should be sleeping though, feeling really sick.

-need more posts.

L

littlewing69

sam04u said:
(Generally though, non-religious people don't care how other people run their lives from what I can see. By the support for homosexuality, drug-abuse, unplanned pregnancies, and i'm guessing almost anything else.)
1.) How does one "support" homosexuality? All I support is equality.
2.) No-one supports drug-abuse. Some of us just believe legislative drug control needs reform.
3.) Unplanned pregnancy wasn't on the questionnaire.
4.) Your conclusions are daft. Non-religious people aren't necessarily morally apathetic. But I suppose you already knew what you wanted to think before you asked the questions?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
littlewing69 said:
1.) How does one "support" homosexuality? All I support is equality.
2.) No-one supports drug-abuse. Some of us just believe legislative drug control needs reform.
3.) Unplanned pregnancy wasn't on the questionnaire.
4.) Your conclusions are daft. Non-religious people aren't necessarily morally apathetic. But I suppose you already knew what you wanted to think before you asked the questions?
My thoughts exactly.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Nevertheless moral apathy is nothing to be ashamed of. Moral apathy FTW!

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
sam04u said:
Rise in Atheism lately has compelled me to make this topic.
So, I have a few questions to people willing to answer them.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/living/religion/14121950.htm

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 4:

Question 5:

Question 6:

Question 8:

Question 9:

Question 10:

1. Yes, a form of Christianity
2. some situations it would be ok, yeah
3. sure why not? life is there to be enjoyed
4. Yeah, what do u mean what aspects? basically what they taught us in school i reckon is pretty true
5. hmm "evidence" eh ;) i guess i would give the speaker a fair say, whichever side the "evidence" was coming from
6. yeah i think everyone has at one time, i doubt i woudld ever do it though
7. not really, but this is a deliberately ambigious question
8. no, but in the situation like a serial killer escaping custody, and if the state and given me the power to prevent this situation [e.g prison guard, police officer]i wouldnt really hesitate to shoot
Yeah sure. I'm not homosexual, and I don't ever intend to be, but homosexual people don't harm me and I don't harm them, so I don't see why it should be an issue. If they try to force homosexualism upon me then I have a problem, but the vast majority of gay people I know are lovely people.
what she said

10. yeah i guess, if it was something i beleived worthy, like saving a life thats worth it like a family member, if this question is about religious fanaticism, no i would never sacrifice my life for religion

11. hmm i have never seriously considered them, but i have studied a few alternative views out of curiosity. not really for me though.

gerhard

HSC
sam04u said:
Oh, well I would have elaborated when the questions had arisen, but at risk of not infecting the topic. (I tried hard to ask questions in a way in which the responses would be as close to true. Trying not to link the ideas to anything being portrayed by the media by choosing words which were not usually associated with the topic.)

Then, I began looking for trends, and most importantly... opinions which were more different to the rest of the group.

The idea was finding the stance (on a very, un-defensive approach) of "Atheist/Agnostic" people on alot of the situations we're facing now.

Basically, It's quite obvious that a few 'HEAVY' contradictory ideas became obvious. (almost immediately).
Question 9, and Question 10.

But, the data is still not completed. By the end I will have a better understanding of how these ideas collate.

Alot, of general ideas have come up. But, non convincing enough.

This isn't a strike on the group. Just one 'Assumption". I should be sleeping though, feeling really sick.
-need more posts.

is it really that suprising that alot of non believers would have opinions different to the church? it seems kind of obvious. (as in; thats why they are non believers, because they think the churches beliefs, including moral as well as spiritual beliefs, are incorrect).

also i dont know how much you know about research methods and such, but you cant generalise results found on this board to the general population (as in you cant say athiests on bos are like this, so all athiests are like this) because this board is not an independent sample. we all spend large amount of time conversing about political issues. it would make sense that we would have similar opinion on contraversial issues.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sam04u said:
What kind of conclusion is that? It really erks me that you say we "don't care".

Far from, if anything.

Seriously, brain explosion. I'm severely insulted that you even considered agnostics or atheists lack moral values.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
There wouldn't be an 'AIDS' epidemic in Russian/S.Africa if they were an islamic nation.
Do you agree? How many lives are lost due to people being infected with the 'HIV Virus'?

Even still, I don't think it's the "HIV Virus" causing the symptoms of aids, it's probably another, pathogenic type virus. (Which is common in people "HIV positive". (was reading an interesting article).

Basically it's an; All Zerks are Zarks, and All Zarks are Carks. Does that mean all Zerks are Carks?.... Type question. Some people who are HIV positive don't show 'AIDS' symptoms. Back on topic.

You're right, Ur_Inner_Child.
It was a 'rude' assumption, but the data is right there infront of you. 1/9 (non religious) people from one source thought legalising drugs wouldn't be a problem.
It's the moral apathy which is detrimental to society.

However, if you look at the data and come to your own conclusions... 9/10 (non religious) people would sacrifice their most valuable asset for a cause they deemed worthy. And, with no belief of a 'life' after death, that is a very valiant quality among the group.

Which shows that there is 'rooted' morals in alot of (non religious) people.

I wouldn't ever want an atheist/agnostic person to turn to religion though. (mainly, because I could be condemning them to a closed life with no rewards).

But, adopting some of the religious moral values and understanding them (especially islamic morals) would be something I would appreciate.

-Good Luck, my brothers and sisters. (keep the answers rolling in, need more data from different religious groups)

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sam04u said:
You're right, Ur_Inner_Child.
It was a 'rude' assumption, but the data is right there infront of you. 1/9 (non religious) people from one source thought legalising drugs wouldn't be a problem.
You cannot make such a conclusion based on yes or no answers. Those that justified their answer stating yes said it was because it would pose safer usage.

That has an element of "care" doesn't it? About those who choose to go down the path do it safely......

As for the "source" you're talking about where its 1/9 nonreligious people think legalising drugs wouldnt be a problem, can you please state the source?

In here, the last 10 non-religious people were 5:5 about drugs.

I don't think you can base such a complicated matter such as morality, based on these very simple questions, particularly if they're yes or no...

I know you answered me very sincerely, and I am too, but I'm actually still very concerned with the way you are handling this.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I think that many may hold back now that they know that you are only trying to 'prove' to yourself that your 'moral' framework is somehow more 'worthy' and 'true' than that of those who do not follow a religion (or more accurately those who do not follow your religion).

Edit: I know that there comes a point when you can use too many inverted commas, but I think that their use in this instance is justified.

Last edited:

gerhard

HSC
this shit is fucking ridiculous. you are embarrassing yourself.

OMG athiests dont have any morals because they have a different opinion to me on an issue!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)