• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

quite a bunch of questions (1 Viewer)

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
do you want me to do them and give u solutions tomorrow?????

plus is that hornsby library thing for today or tomorrow?????

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
p(x)=(x-a)^2 Qx
p'(x)=(x-a)^2Q'(x)+Q(x)2(x-a)
=0 when x=a

next one u just use conjugate roots theorem and u divide it then by the conjugates multiplied together and u'll get a quadratic

shuning

HSC
p(x)=(x-a)^2 Qx
p'(x)=(x-a)^2Q'(x)+Q(x)2(x-a)
=0 when x=a

next one u just use conjugate roots theorem and u divide it then by the conjugates multiplied together and u'll get a quadratic
i did that for the 1st 1, but i dont think i get a mark for that .... T.T

and did read my 2nd question LOL? i already worked the 1st part out.... but cant factorize it...

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Lol why wouldn't you get the mark for the first one? That's the actual proof.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
For the second one, Edit: Oh lol it's just quadratic factors, listen to Timothy
For the third one, you draw a triangle (using radius) and then use trig to find the value of the angles, which you then work out to be the arg etc.
For fourth.. Use mod-arg form to divide.. And then lol I dunno how to do the n power thing, I would just use process of elimination (lol :D)
For fifth, you use the fact that cos(-x) = cos(x) and that cos(2pi - x) = cos(x).

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
i did that for the 1st 1, but i dont think i get a mark for that .... T.T

and did read my 2nd question LOL? i already worked the 1st part out.... but cant factorize it...
i did read...i was telling u how to factorise it. if u read.

(x^2-2root3x+4)(x^2+2root3x+4)

lolokay

HSC
you could solve 10) iii) by solving each quadratic, then using the sum of the roots 2 at a time = 0 for the original equation

once you group the pairs together it simplifies down to 4cos[pi/9]cos[5pi/9] + 4cos[5pi/9]cos[7pi/9] + 4 cos[7pi/9]cos[pi/9] + 3 = 0
which gives the desired result

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
oh just wondering u from syd boys? cuz ur location says syd and i know some1 from syd boys whos name is tim (09er)

but meh.... tim is such a common name... syd boys is a big school prob 100 tims in ur year LOL
yeah, theres like 4 tims in my year.

for the last one, u cud just equate coefficients of x^2 and u'll get it

shuning

HSC
Timothy.Siu.... whatta azn chinese name. and i looked at ur profile .. syd boys LOL

so yea.... i know tim is a common name and azns are common in ur school too. so i guess there is like 50 chinese ppl with the name tim in ur school?

still i kinda think ur the tim i know xD

edit: lol we posted in the same time...

shuning

HSC
you could solve 10) iii) by solving each quadratic, then using the sum of the roots 2 at a time = 0 for the original equation

once you group the pairs together it simplifies down to 4cos[pi/9]cos[5pi/9] + 4cos[5pi/9]cos[7pi/9] + 4 cos[7pi/9]cos[pi/9] + 3 = 0
which gives the desired result
i origionallly thought of that too..... but how did u arrange it? i arranged it in conjugate pairs but didnt get the answer........

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
(with so many earlier responses, I may have overlooked .. so if this is a repeat I apologise !)

For Q10 (iii):

Use the identity in Q10(ii): equating the coeffs of z^2 of both sides, we get:

(1 + 1 + 1 + 4cos pi/9 cos 5pi/9 + 4 cos pi/9 cos 7pi/9 + 4 cos 5pi/9 cos 7pi/9 ) = 0

[No need to fully expand the RHS of identity in Q10(ii); we merely worry ourselves with the term in z^2 ]

Hence 3 + 4 ( the reqd expression ) = 0
Hence the reqd result.

Last edited:

lolokay

HSC
i origionallly thought of that too..... but how did u arrange it? i arranged it in conjugate pairs but didnt get the answer........
it's easier to equate coefficients as timothy + drongoski pointed out

for mine, with the roots, you get things in the form n +- rt(n^2 - 1), so if a,b,c = cos[1,5,7 pi/9]
you can then group things like (a + rt(a2 - 1) + a - rt(a2-1))(b + rt(b2-1) + b - rt(b2-1)) [3 like this] + (a + rt(a2))(a - rt2) [3 like this as well]
= 4ab + 4bc + 4ac + 3

but as you can tell, this is a bit longer + difficult to set out/explain on paper

jet

Banned
HSC
Hopefully this is right. Sorry I can't help any further - i have public speaking tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)