Random tips for year 12s! (1 Viewer)

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Do they sometimes try to trick you in an exam by asking you a completely random question which has nothing to do with the essay you prepared? They did that last year but I didn't think it would happen in an external assessment... maybe I shoudl be a bit more flexible with my essay.

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
Zoltan said:
Mind games are very useful even if they do fuck you up a little. ;) Say to yourself, if you finish this essay, you can watch TV. You won't finish the essay, but the trick is to not watch tv so your brain thinks you're serious. Then next time you might actually do the work.
:( that'll never work with me! no tv lol.

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
On second thoughts, I wouldn't recommend that method... not too good for your sanity. Anyways, if you can't do your work without having to twist your own arm, why bother?

*Zoltan is ashamed by her hypocrisy, but continues to spout random advice*

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It's all personal.
Also another crucial thing is learning to write faster. It's trivial and stupid, but really important for all the exams. I knew lots of smart people who could only write about 3-4page essays, compared to faster fingered dumber people who could get around 8-9. It does pay off (assuming you know what you want to say)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Iron woman said:
It's all personal.
Also another crucial thing is learning to write faster. It's trivial and stupid, but really important for all the exams. I knew lots of smart people who could only write about 3-4page essays, compared to faster fingered dumber people who could get around 8-9. It does pay off (assuming you know what you want to say)
oh man i so want to write faster... i always only get about 5 pages max in a 50 min exam because if i write much faster than i do my handwriting is just terrible... maybe ill bring a typewriter to school next time

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I just let go of handwriting. It looked freaking terrible, but you could read it.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Iron woman said:
It's all personal.
Haw, haw.
Suxorz to those people who aren't typing ^__^

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Hehe I have good handwriting. :) Even when it's messy you can still pretty much read it.

s0k0y0e0

HSC
Mini Time Outs

It is essential to have mini time outs if you
want to study successfully.

A mini time out lasts from a few seconds to
a few minutes.

Here is how to do it.

1. Plan mini time outs for your study period and/or
take one whenever you feel tired and are losing
concentration.

2. Stand or walk around so you can energize your
mind and body e.g. try some of the simple Tai Chi
skills your learned at our presentation

Avoid passive mini breaks such as watching T.V.,
playing video or computer games.

They may be fun but they tend to use up energy
that is needed for your study.

They can also turn your mini break into a maxi break
where you get little study done.

So take a mini break when required and your study
period will be successful. And so will your exam results.

From net site -> http://www.taichienergizers.com/Websitecopy/StudentsSuccess.htm :)

Other useful sites/articles you might find help...

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/printpage/0,5481,5868452,00.html

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/gotoschool/highschool/studyingtips.php

Hope something helps SOMEONE! :uhhuh: :)

Last edited by a moderator:

s0k0y0e0

HSC
I also found this from SMH site -> It EVEN sugests to use this site! :uhhuh: :p

Top five tips for success
April 29, 2004

Study tips from There was a picture on the site: Daren Nair, Sandhya Sharma, May Samali and James Orchiston.

Hitting the books is a big part of study but students often find that working with others is of great benefit. And so is the right attitude, writes Anneli Knight.

Success in the HSC depends on your approach to study, say year 12 students from Cherrybrook Technology High School. It's important to study consistently all year, make the most of all resources and, above all, keep smiling, say Sam Mcintosh, James Orchiston, May Samali, Sandhya Sharma, Daren Nair and Lucy King.

Here are their top tips.

1. FOLLOW THE SYLLABUS

"You have a lot of freedom to express yourself once you know the syllabus," Sam says. Humanities, especially, benefit from this approach, May says.

"As long as you mention what's in the syllabus, you can't go wrong."

Lucy says: "In science, the syllabus is a bible.

It saves you not learning things you don't need to know."

2. CONSOLIDATE YOUR LEARNING

"Generally, across the board, you have to consolidate what you do," Sam says. May recommends writing notes as you go and putting together a one-page summary on each topic a couple of weeks before the exam. "Then get parents and friends to test you," she says.

3. MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR RESOURCES

The internet, teachers and other students are important resources. "The internet is invaluable, it helps with lots of past papers," says Daren,

who particularly recommends the website http://www.boredofstudies.org, which was set up by former HSC students. James and May warn that you have to be careful about information from the internet. "You can tell if the notes are not proper notes," May says.

All the students agree you won't get far in the HSC without your teachers. "Teachers make all the difference," May says. "It is important to have a friendship with teachers; to develop that bond."

Lucy says: "I handed in an essay four times and my standard has improved so much because of the comments the teacher has given."

Setting up student study groups is also a good idea, Daren says. Sandhya says the interactive learning environment is a good change from hitting the books.

4. STUDY ENVIRONMENT

Lucy says you should know your distractions and avoid them.

Internet messaging can be the biggest culprit when it comes to time wasting. "I'd recommend deleting it," James says.

The phone is another killer. James recommends telling people you're not taking any phone calls until a set date.

5. GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK

"You need some form of release," Sandhya says. "You need to take a walk down the road, speak to your friends, do sports, just get out of the house."

"Keep your life in perspective," Lucy says. "Don't let the word HSC freak you out."

hottie_mira

Gavrillo said:
Bingo bango, squashed mango.
well that was random..lol umm, my best tip at the moment would be DONT FORGET ANYTHING!! pack ur bag the nite before if u have to. i nearly went into my math half yearlies without a calculator before suddenly realising and then i had to run around like a mad crazy person terrorizing yr 7 kids for a calculator!!! was not good at all :( but yer umm, dont leave studying till the night b4 and try to do something else b4 bed in the lead up to exams otherwise i find i cant sleep cos im SO NERVOUS.. does that happen to anyone else? use caffeine to its advantage, i LUV coffee and i dnt understand anyone who dusnt..lol and stay back after class sometimes, u can get valuable tips and info from the teacher that evryone else misses out on. also private study lessons with teachers are a bonus, theyre free, and very useful if ur teacher is willing to give them. :) think positive!!

darkwarrior2

HSC
Overconfidence

Dont get cocky if you do well in a few exams, happens a lot to me i keep getting good in one set of exams and crap in the next...well there is 169 days to go tho...

hottie_mira

darkwarrior2 said:
Dont get cocky if you do well in a few exams, happens a lot to me i keep getting good in one set of exams and crap in the next...well there is 169 days to go tho...
lol, as we keep gettin reminded at the bottom of every page!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)